S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Issues. After Changing Speed Sensor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2024, 05:42 PM

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
S560 AIRMATIC
Issues. After Changing Speed Sensor

Looking for suggestions on what to do next. The engine light has been on for about a month but I pulled the code with my torque app and bluetooth adapter that I used on my Lexus. I could not clear the code with torque so I waited until my SDconnect and laptop with Xentry to arrive to diagnose the issue before buying a new sensor. The learning curve btw Xentry and Techstream is huge. Techstream was pretty straight forward where as Xentry you have to try to figure EVERYTHING thing out on the go. I'm slightly getting the hang of it but still have a long way to go.

I've cleared the code several times and it always comes back so I purchased what is supposed to be a GENUINE MB left front speed sensor from Partscontainer on ebay and installed it but the code persists. There is another code that goes along with it but I believe it might be generated because of the speed sensor code. I've cleared BOTH codes and they return as soon as I drive off. The sensor I bought was stated to be genuine but we know how that goes on Ebay. The thing is that the replacement sensor is identical to the one I removed. It also has the same part number and a MB symbol on the harness in the same place. It came in a MB box and the bag had Mercedes Benz of Scarsborough o the label. I'm pretty sure Partscontainers bought it from the dealership and removed the label then sent it to me. I can tell the MB box had a different label on it by the fact I can see parts of the old label still on it.

I've started a return of the sensor but I'm not sure if it's warranted if it is a genuine MB part. Maybe the issue is the other code that popped up. The speed sensor code is straight forward but the other one not so much. I'm new to MB as well as Xentry so I tend to err on the side of user error. I spent all this money on the Xentry setup so I would not have to visit any dealers for minor things like reading codes and changing parts. There is no detrimental affect driving with these codes other than most of the safety features being disables (BSM, brake assist, etc...) but the light and constant messages are annoying.

These are the codes.

Here I was getting a reading at idle for the sensor when no of the other sensors were reading anything.

Old 01-29-2024, 09:50 PM
VII

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts
2016 S65, 2014 SLK55 (Previous 2013 SLK350, 2008 CLS63, 2006 E350, 2006 CLS500, 2005 C230K)
It would seem your ESP module has a problem.
A random reading is not likely to be the sensor.

​​​​​Same result with both sensors?
What about with sensor just hanging?
Sensor disconnected?
​​​​​​
Old 01-29-2024, 10:26 PM

S560 AIRMATIC
That's as far as I got with my diagnosing the issue. I've spent about a week learning my way around Xentry and the various menus. My brain is still in Techstream mode which was a lot easier to figure out the various menus.

I did not let the sensor hang out disconnect either one so I can't comment. I did lift the front driver corner and spin that wheel. The values in Xentry seemed to say that it was working properly but I'm just not sure. I feel like the N127 code is the problem but both codes point to the speed sensor.

I did see a brief message about Xentry detecting a collision which confused me even further. I have not seen that message again though. What's even stranger is that these codes first appeared after I had new tires installed about a month ago but that could just be a coincidence.
Old 02-09-2024, 07:00 PM

S560 AIRMATIC
ISSUE RESOLVED

Just to close this thread out after reading many threads and post in other forums on this site as well as other MB sites everything was pointing towards the ABS ring/reluctor ring that the speed sensor gets it's data. Unlike lots of other MB models that contain the ring on the end of the axle or inside the wheel bearing as a separate piece. The S 560 front ABS ring is part of the axle that can't be separated as far as I can tell. I removed the speed sensor and shined a light in the hole and could tell that it was dirty. I first sprayed braked cleaner down the hole and then used a screw driver to scrape some of the brake dust off. I would have continued this if a piece of mechanics cloth did not get stuck in the hole. So I just unbolted the upper control arm, sway bar link and popped the axle out. After cleaning the ring and putting things back together the ABS and traction control light were gone as well as the messages letting you know the safety features were disabled. The check engine light was still on but that went out by itself after a round trip back and forth to work.
The following 4 users liked this post by sha4000:
BenzV12 (02-10-2024), carlosinseattle (02-09-2024), milanlj (02-09-2024), SW20S (02-09-2024)
Old 02-09-2024, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,678 Likes on 1,718 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
Good news!
The following users liked this post:
sha4000 (02-09-2024)
Old 02-10-2024, 01:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts
W212 FL
Nice to see that , I appreciate your feedback as well