S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Noise in front suspension, low speed bumps.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2024, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 517 Likes on 385 Posts
222 S-65
Noise in front suspension, low speed bumps.

Hey guys....

Information for when your 222 car gets enough miles on it to start making noises in front suspension that sounds much as my 221 car did with noisy bushings at the top of ABC struts.....

Front upper control arm bushings worn enough to make noise... but never a clunk or tire wear!

Upper control arms are easy enough to replace... though this would have been less onerous had MB used captive nuts on the ends of bolts that are hidden under a tangle of all wiring at the right front.

Worth noting.... Bushings at top of ABC struts are a much improved design compared with what we had in 220 and 221 cars.
Old 02-11-2024, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 337 Likes on 250 Posts
2016 S550, 2015 Honda Civic Hybrid
There are bushings at the top of the struts? Do you mean in the upper control arms, that's mentioned in the post also ...
Old 02-11-2024, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 517 Likes on 385 Posts
222 S-65
Originally Posted by Tom in Austin
There are bushings at the top of the struts? Do you mean in the upper control arms, that's mentioned in the post also ...
To gain access to the pair of bolts that attach the upper control arm to the car one must remove the three nuts at the top of the ABC strut, pull the electrical connector up top to let it hang enough to get the strut out of the way. Good time to peek at how MB did the large bushing between the strut and the car.

I was there to replace the upper control arm and glad to see the improved design of the ABC strut.

Peek in there with the car on tip-toes. You’ll see the bushing I’m referring to. Nice big one.