S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Sport mode jerky start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2024, 03:05 PM

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
Sport mode jerky start

I turned on sport mode to try to impress my idiot husband who drives a 2010 BMW 535i. I didn't quite succeed. I can tell my 2020 S560 4Matic wants to go! It was a bit jerky taking off in low gear. This is the first time in almost 2 years that I tried sport mode because I usually keep it in Comfort. What are some tricks to being a better driver when using sport mode? That BMW jerk thinks his car is faster 0-60 but the internet says he is wrong.

My ego is really fragile and I need to impress him with my driving skills, and my expensive car.... help, please?
Old 04-02-2024, 10:30 PM
VII

Received 97 Likes on 73 Posts
2016 S65, 2014 SLK55 (Previous 2013 SLK350, 2008 CLS63, 2006 E350, 2006 CLS500, 2005 C230K)
A 560 is not really drag race oriented and why would you marry someone who drives a BMW?

What you likely experienced was traction control cutting power to keep the wheels from spinning.
First recommendation is a set of good summer tires and feathering in the throttle.
Old 04-03-2024, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 612 Likes on 461 Posts
W212 FL
I'm sorry , leaving someone in dust is not something that's to be proud of . W222s are outstanding cars and everyone knows they're not cheap at all .
Besides, I don't recommend it at all what I am gonna say : you may use a Launch Mode or replicate that . Put your left foot on the brake and right foot on the gas pedal and rev it up to 3500 RPM and release the brake pedal . However, it may damage the tranny but surely you can have better acceleration

Last edited by BenzV12; 04-03-2024 at 12:21 AM.
Old 04-03-2024, 11:19 AM

2020 S560 4Matic
Originally Posted by BenzV12
I'm sorry , leaving someone in dust is not something that's to be proud of . W222s are outstanding cars and everyone knows they're not cheap at all .
Besides, I don't recommend it at all what I am gonna say : you may use a Launch Mode or replicate that . Put your left foot on the brake and right foot on the gas pedal and rev it up to 3500 RPM and release the brake pedal . However, it may damage the tranny but surely you can have better acceleration
Says the guy in a V12 who obviously isn’t married.

Why is the shifting in sport mode so jerky?

Last edited by zitsky; 04-03-2024 at 12:34 PM.
Old 04-04-2024, 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 FL
Originally Posted by zitsky
Says the guy in a V12 who obviously isn’t married.

Why is the shifting in sport mode so jerky?
Yes, I'm not married .
Well, answering your question , it's the designed that way , Sport Mode will make its presence felt as I have driven many cars and when I select Sport Mode the trannies changes their behavior but is it acceptable in a S Class ? That's the question however I believe a software or firmware can solve this .
Old 04-05-2024, 07:23 AM

2020 S560 4Matic
Originally Posted by BenzV12
Yes, I'm not married .
Well, answering your question , it's the designed that way , Sport Mode will make its presence felt as I have driven many cars and when I select Sport Mode the trannies changes their behavior but is it acceptable in a S Class ? That's the question however I believe a software or firmware can solve this .
Are our cars adaptive? Because I tried Sport again and didn’t feel the same jerkiness as the first time. But I’ll keep trying it.

It really hurts my feelings that you want me to tell my husband that his 14 year old BMW POS is faster than mine. When I paid more. Because it’s NOT TRUE!!!

😭😭😭
Old 04-05-2024, 10:18 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,453 Likes on 2,088 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Are our cars adaptive? Because I tried Sport again and didn’t feel the same jerkiness as the first time. But I’ll keep trying it.

It really hurts my feelings that you want me to tell my husband that his 14 year old BMW POS is faster than mine. When I paid more. Because it’s NOT TRUE!!!

😭😭😭
To answer your question, yes transmission learns your behaviour while you drive, it does so for each driving mode. If you never or rarely used sport, it never had a chance to learn your driving behaviour in that mode.

For some vehicles, like amg, placing it in manual mode disables the learning process no matter how you shift.
The following users liked this post:
BenzV12 (04-06-2024)
Old 04-05-2024, 03:10 PM

Received 71 Likes on 54 Posts
Corvette C8 997S, Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve BMW 750 S560 Coupe
Okay there are a couple of reasons first one is drive by wire delay (a pedal commander will solve that) second is these are twin turbos (that don't use the 48 volt system newer models have), those two things combined may make you think the car is not getting off the mark that quickly. Drive by wire is something most of you under 45 have gotten used to. For old folks like me (who also happen to be former one of a kind builder of street, race cars and rails as well as a racer and driving instructor) it is terrible I have throttle controllers on every car I own (expect the one of kind 911 in my garage it has a mechanical throttle pedal). One more thing some of what you were told might be correct smashing the throttle down is not the way to get the best performance out of your car. You may have inadvertently caused the traction control to limit power and that could make it feel jerky as well. My 560 Coupe has a throttle controller and I also have a 2022 BMW 750 sedan which is pretty quick but the 560 with the pedal commander (sprint booster makes one for the 560 as well) feels almost as fast of the line and the 535 could not hold a candle to either of those cars. My 56 is MB # 70 the 750 is BMW *68 (I have owned 486 cars so far) and I have close to 6 decades (before I retired) of experience making the best out of a car and its driver (trust this part is a lot harder than the car). Good luck
The following 2 users liked this post by carnut1:
BenzV12 (04-06-2024), C Swenson (04-05-2024)
Old 04-06-2024, 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 FL

😭😭😭
As said one of our members , the tranny learns your driving style and adjust itself accordingly . Well, to ease off your mind just because one is faster than other doesn't mean the faster one is a better car . A japanese tin box honda type r can blow a Rolls Royce Silver Spur easily but it doesn't make the japan better car .
Old 04-06-2024, 06:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 688 Likes on 510 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
Just line up straight and stomp the accelerator pedal to the floor and hold it there until you reach your desired speed to need to stop.

IF the tires spin... let off throttle as required - this takes practice..

Be careful as spinning tires cause you to lose control
Old 04-06-2024, 09:28 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,453 Likes on 2,088 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by carnut1
Okay there are a couple of reasons first one is drive by wire delay (a pedal commander will solve that) second is these are twin turbos (that don't use the 48 volt system newer models have), those two things combined may make you think the car is not getting off the mark that quickly. Drive by wire is something most of you under 45 have gotten used to. For old folks like me (who also happen to be former one of a kind builder of street, race cars and rails as well as a racer and driving instructor) it is terrible I have throttle controllers on every car I own (expect the one of kind 911 in my garage it has a mechanical throttle pedal). One more thing some of what you were told might be correct smashing the throttle down is not the way to get the best performance out of your car. You may have inadvertently caused the traction control to limit power and that could make it feel jerky as well. My 560 Coupe has a throttle controller and I also have a 2022 BMW 750 sedan which is pretty quick but the 560 with the pedal commander (sprint booster makes one for the 560 as well) feels almost as fast of the line and the 535 could not hold a candle to either of those cars. My 56 is MB # 70 the 750 is BMW *68 (I have owned 486 cars so far) and I have close to 6 decades (before I retired) of experience making the best out of a car and its driver (trust this part is a lot harder than the car). Good luck
Actually, now that you mentioned it... that delay might have something to do with the oil pump solenoid, the delay could also be because of low oil pressure going into normal oil pressure when OP WOT

OP can unplug it if they want to, more details in the oil pump solenoid thread.
Old 04-06-2024, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,648 Likes on 1,703 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
So from a start the big difference is Sport mode starts in first gear and Comfort mode starts in second gear, the reason it does is for smoothness. If you put your foot down at a light in Sport the same way you do in Comfort, you will get a really jerky start, you have to be a little lighter on the throttle. I drive it in Individual mode all the time with Engine on Sport and everything else Comfort. I prefer the lighter feeling off the line
nybenzo (06-27-2024)
Old 04-06-2024, 01:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 S63 AMG 4MATIC - 2011 S550 RWD

😭😭😭

yes the transmission will adapt to your driving style and shift points (not sure about the 9G-Tronic, but my 7Gtronic speed shift on the s63 adapts both upshift and downshift and turns off adaptation on manual mode.

If you're really annoyed about your husband just do what most BMW drivers do... get a downpipe and a tune for your S560 from WesTech/RENNTech and either a catless Redstar or catted RENNTech downpipe and be done with it.
It should vastly improve the m176's performance.
Old 04-07-2024, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 338 Likes on 220 Posts
S600
I turned on sport mode to try to impress my idiot husband who drives a 2010 BMW 535i.
Why try to impress the unimpressible ?!?

I didn't quite succeed. I can tell my 2020 S560 4Matic wants to go! It was a bit jerky taking off in low gear. This is the first time in almost 2 years that I tried sport mode because I usually keep it in Comfort. What are some tricks to being a better driver when using sport mode? That BMW jerk thinks his car is faster 0-60 but the internet says he is wrong.
Why does this even mater ??? My V12 W222 is faster 0-60 than my Ferrari, but the Ferrari is way more fun to drive on race tacks.

My ego is really fragile
Then why did you marry someone who drives a BMW ?!?

and I need to impress him with my driving skills, and my expensive car.... help, please?
Go to a real drag strip or race tack and learn to drive (10-30 track days with an instructor) without telling him......
Old 06-25-2024, 09:08 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2009 MB SL63 AMG
Originally Posted by SW20S
So from a start the big difference is Sport mode starts in first gear and Comfort mode starts in second gear, the reason it does is for smoothness. If you put your foot down at a light in Sport the same way you do in Comfort, you will get a really jerky start, you have to be a little lighter on the throttle. I drive it in Individual mode all the time with Engine on Sport and everything else Comfort. I prefer the lighter feeling off the line
I like the Sport setting myself and I will try your suggestion and set the “I” mode like you have it.

This brings up a question I have been wondering about….My 2019 S560 4Matic always starts in “C” regardless of whether it was last in “S” or “I” when shut off. My ‘09 SL63 would start in “S” mode (but not “S+”) if that’s what it was in when I turned it off. Is there a way for the S560 to start up in “S” or “I” mode? I’ve looked in the owners manual and online but have found nothing.

Thanks!
Old 06-26-2024, 08:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,648 Likes on 1,703 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
Originally Posted by cdmotor1
I like the Sport setting myself and I will try your suggestion and set the “I” mode like you have it.

This brings up a question I have been wondering about….My 2019 S560 4Matic always starts in “C” regardless of whether it was last in “S” or “I” when shut off. My ‘09 SL63 would start in “S” mode (but not “S+”) if that’s what it was in when I turned it off. Is there a way for the S560 to start up in “S” or “I” mode? I’ve looked in the owners manual and online but have found nothing.

Thanks!
It can be coded to remember the last setting, but it only remembers it for about 5 hours. Still an improvement.

The reason it does that is the EPA tests fuel economy in the most aggressive mode the car defaults to. So if it could default to Sport they would have tested FE in Sport. That’s why cars no longer remember the drive mode on restart.
carlosinseattle (06-26-2024)