S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

CarPlay crashes when on a phone call

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2024, 06:28 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2020 MB S560 4M, 2016 VW GTI 6MT
CarPlay crashes when on a phone call

I’m not sure if this is a common problem, or limited to newer versions of iOS, but I couldn’t find a prior thread. We have only had our s560 for a few weeks, and CarPlay has now crashed the system twice, each time on a different iPhone (a 15 and a 15 Pro), both with iOS 17.4.1. Both times, we were using Waze and on a phone call. During the call we would suddenly stop getting any audio from the other side, but the call clock would keep ticking. The system would be unresponsive, and you could not end the call or do anything else. After a few seconds of that, the screen would go black, and then reboot the system with the Mercedes logo. I am hoping there is a software update for the Command system that will help.
Old 05-03-2024, 12:27 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DashLynx.com
The particular phone being used has really nothing to do with it. I've spoken to a lot of people who complain about many different Mercedes with especially MBUX or pre-MBUX systems experiencing lots of crashes.

Interestingly enough, the people who purchase our wireless CarPlay say that the crashes stop. We believe that the crashes have something to do with the USB port and phones connected to them.

If anyone is looking to add wireless CarPlay because their car already has CarPlay, we have a product made in the USA that comes with a five-year warranty. Additionally, we offer another product that adds HDMI input, allowing you to add HDMI devices and additional cameras, such as a front camera, to your vehicle without dismantling the dashboard. You simply plug it into the USB port of your car. This product works on cars with both wired and wireless CarPlay.

For members using things like Ottocast/Carlinkit who are limited to either watching video or doing wireless CarPlay unless they purchase a SIM card, our pure HDMI input eliminates this issue. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or use the live chat on our website.

Wireless CarPlay/Android Auto device - coupons $100 off - mbworld100 - CLICK HERE FOR A LINK
  • 5 Years Warranty.
  • Made In USA.

If your vehicle has either wired or wireless CarPlay, it doesn't matter. If you're looking to watch videos or add cameras, take a look at this solution. - coupons $100 off - mbworld100 - CLICK HERE
  • 5 Years Warranty.
  • Made In USA.

Old 05-07-2024, 10:08 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2020 MB S560 4M, 2016 VW GTI 6MT
I appreciate the aftermarket support from DashLynx, but I am hoping for a solution covered by warranty, as I still have a few months left. There have got to be others who have had issues with CarPlay, and I can only hope that MB, of all manufacturers, is supporting its implementation. I have owned two other vehicles with CarPlay: a 2016 VW GTI and a 2016 Honda Accord, both of which I have owned since new. Over 8 years, I have personal experience with how good and bad CarPlay implementation can be. In the VW, it has been nearly flawless. It is responsive, reliable, and never seems to mind multitasking. It occasionally had hiccups after certain iOS updates, but has always seemed to resolve itself, probably after a subsequent iOS update. In the Honda, it has been a complete disaster. It is painfully slow, and the system always crashes. Honda never seemed to acknowledge the problem or release any kind of fix or update.

I have the Mercedes in with the dealer for this (and for rough 3-2 downshift https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...ng-w222-7.html), so I will update on what they say. I am just crossing my fingers that I didn't just buy another car with a non-functional CarPlay interface, as that was a huge sore point with our Honda.