Service coming up - Years vs mileage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2024, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,676 Likes on 1,716 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
Originally Posted by Lou B
I like your last paragraph, not only because it is fairer to the customer, but because it's creative selling on the dealer's part. Dealers seem to be on the s--- list for a lot of people - just like a great many other suppliers are. Anything they can do to improve their performance can help improve their business. i have sent an email to the dealer's website Contact box on the questions/issues raised here. If I get an answer, I will post it. If it doesn't make sense, I can always write them a letter. I don't want to go to their area competitors, I'd rather see the first improve things that they can improve.
Its all about transparency. Anything that improves transparency is better for the customer and ultimately better for the business. People hate car dealers because they lack transparency...

Let us know what they say!
Old 05-29-2024, 06:01 PM

Received 128 Likes on 74 Posts
Mercedes S560
Originally Posted by SW20S
Its all about transparency. Anything that improves transparency is better for the customer and ultimately better for the business. People hate car dealers because they lack transparency...

I shall,indeed.
But it;s not only transparency - it's also honesty.

The following users liked this post:
SW20S (05-30-2024)
Old 05-30-2024, 06:22 PM

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts
2015 MB S550 & 2020 MB GLS 450
What they should do if they wanted to me fair would be to offer the factory service package and then their recommended service package and let the customer choose. Instead you go in for an “A Service” expecting it’s going to be the MB specified service and they take it upon themselves to do extra stuff that’s not required and you don’t realize until you get the bill.
Fortunately, that is what my dealer does. Had the B service on the 2015 S550 in February. Basic was $804; Value (add wiper blade replacement, Xentry and Midronics tests, and zMax additive) $1,064; and Recommended (add balance tires, extensive vehicle detail) $1,255. I ask for the cost and my service advisor sends me the detail. I'm sure most just take Recommended, no questions asked. Having two MB dealers in the Nashville area may keep pricing more reasonable.

Last edited by TNS550; 05-30-2024 at 06:24 PM.
SW20S (05-30-2024)
Old 05-30-2024, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
Thats great. Yep, thats called price bracketing. You have three options, most people pick the one in the middle.
Old 05-30-2024, 07:44 PM

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts
2015 MB S550 & 2020 MB GLS 450
Thats great. Yep, thats called price bracketing. You have three options, most people pick the one in the middle.
I picked the one in the middle for my GLS B service (the first service after purchase), mainly to see the Xentry test results. Just went with the Basic B service on the S550.
SW20S (05-30-2024)
Old 05-31-2024, 11:45 AM

Mercedes S560

Okay, here's what just transpired...
1. Two days ago, I had asked in the dealer's (MB Cincinnati) contact message form two questions about their invoice mention of A and B services, and about the fuel line flush.
2. Not having received a reply, I went to them this morning via their Chat line. I was told I would get a text or a phone call.
3. Within an hour, the Service desk phoned me, and we discussed the above two points.
4. Re: Mention of "Extra care package package A and B contract sale services." I was told that this indicates that the next time I "bring the car in for a scheduled service, it will be done free - no charge." All well. Good to know.
5. I then asked about the "Fuel cleaning service." I was told this was an "approved Mercedes procedure, typically done every 2 yrs, or 20,000 miles;" because my S560 is not driven as much as most cars, they proposed doing it this time with 32,211 miles on the clock. I agreed. They did not tell me the cost, as they probably should have done, but I would have agreed to it even if they had.
I have no reason not to accept what I was told in the conversation, and am perfectly satisfied with the explanations I was given. Obviously, when I next go in, assuming I am still alive and conscious at whatever age I have then reached, I will confirm what I was told today.

So, there it is.
Now, someone out there may have further comments. If you disagree, you should definitely give a specific reference to your source for your disagreement, one that can be checked. Otherwise it's a waste of time, like opinions and noses - everyone has one.
Thanks to all who provided positive suggestions!

Last edited by Lou B; 05-31-2024 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Add disclaimer to this topic.
James S (05-31-2024)
Old 05-31-2024, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
Originally Posted by Lou B
4. Re: Mention of "Extra care package package A and B contract sale services." I was told that this indicates that the next time I "bring the car in for a scheduled service, it will be done free - no charge." All well. Good to know.

Sounds to me like they charged you for an A and B service and are going to give you the next A service for free...since you already paid for it. Not sure that makes sense to me.

5. I then asked about the "Fuel cleaning service." I was told this was an "approved Mercedes procedure, typically done every 2 yrs, or 20,000 miles;" because my S560 is not driven as much as most cars, they proposed doing it this time with 32,211 miles on the clock. I agreed. They did not tell me the cost, as they probably should have done, but I would have agreed to it even if they had.
Mercedes does not recommend any such fuel cleaning service. The dealer may recommend it, but Mercedes does not. All you have to do is look at the maintenance schedule in your owners manual to see what it is that they require.

Now, someone out there may have further comments. If you disagree, you should definitely give a specific reference to your source for your disagreement, one that can be checked. Otherwise it's a waste of time, like opinions and noses - everyone has one.
People search the forum for information so that they can make decisions for themselves. Its not so much about you and the decisions you make its about providing information that everybody can use. Mercedes does not require a fuel system cleaning like your dealer recommended every 2 years or 20,000 miles, its important to tell people that.

The S560 maintenance schedule is attached, there is no requirement for any fuel cleaning service
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
18 S (1).pdf (186.4 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by SW20S; 05-31-2024 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-31-2024, 02:39 PM

Mercedes S560

Sounds to me like they charged you for an A and B service and are going to give you the next A service for free...since you already paid for it. Not sure that makes sense to me.
Always negativism. They did not do as you suggest.

Mercedes does not recommend any such fuel cleaning service. The dealer may recommend it, but Mercedes does not. All you have to do is look at the maintenance schedule in your owners manual to see what it is that they require.
Suit yourself.

People search the forum for information so that they can make decisions for themselves. Its not so much about you and the decisions you make its about providing information that everybody can use. Mercedes does not require a fuel system cleaning like your dealer recommended every 2 years or 20,000 miles, its important to tell people that.

Again
- you avoid providing a reference.

I'm out of this topic.

Old 05-31-2024, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
I provided the maintenance schedule...thats THE reference. Its attached to my above post. Its attached here again.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
18 S (1).pdf (186.4 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by SW20S; 05-31-2024 at 02:48 PM.