w222 verses w221

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2024, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 971 Likes on 711 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by Streamliner
The Burl Walnut wood trim in our 2010 E350 Sedan really faded to a disgusting gray color. The steering wheel did not fade. Every piece of trim was replaced by MB under warranty, when the car was about three years old. We have not had any other fading issues with any of our MB’s since then. We kept the 2010 another three years and the wood looked like brand new when we sold the car.
I can assure you that it would have not continued to look brand new.
Old 06-18-2024, 11:54 AM

Received 101 Likes on 53 Posts
Mercedes S560
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
I can assure you that it would have not continued to look brand new.
Really??
Is there that much difference in the wood amongst the different models?
I still have an intimate relationship with my former 2012 S450 and our current 2018 S560, and there's never been a bit of trouble with wood changing in either of them.

Old 06-18-2024, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by Lou B
Really??
Is there that much difference in the wood amongst the different models?
I still have an intimate relationship with my former 2012 S450 and our current 2018 S560, and there's never been a bit of trouble with wood changing in either of them.
Reread the post I responded to. It was not in reference to the W222 or W221. It was about a W212 which I own and bought with replaced wood that looked brand new when I bought it and it has faded again. As far as I am aware the fading issue started with the W212 and disappointingly continued with the the W222. I can't speak to the whether the W222 facelift ones are better or not. I have not seen fading of the W221 wood as had been claimed in this thread.

Relative to the topic at hand when I have looked at used W217's (coupe W222), the interior bits didn't seem to be holding up very well. Broken window switches, steering wheel wear, plastic chrome peeling. My car has 3 times the miles and twice the age and is holding up better other than the fading wood and the driver seat cover that I had to replace. So when someone claims the W221 was better constructed than the W222 I can believe it given that was what Mercedes was trying to accomplish with the W221. Not that I don't vastly prefer the styling of the W222 over the W221.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 06-18-2024 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-19-2024, 08:43 AM

Mercedes S560
Reread the post I responded to. It was not in reference to the W222 or W221. It was about a W212 which I own and bought with replaced wood that looked brand new when I bought it and it has faded again. As far as I am aware the fading issue started with the W212 and disappointingly continued with the the W222. I can't speak to the whether the W222 facelift ones are better or not. I have not seen fading of the W221 wood as had been claimed in this thread.

Relative to the topic at hand when I have looked at used W217's (coupe W222), the interior bits didn't seem to be holding up very well. Broken window switches, steering wheel wear, plastic chrome peeling. My car has 3 times the miles and twice the age and is holding up better other than the fading wood and the driver seat cover that I had to replace. So when someone claims the W221 was better constructed than the W222 I can believe it given that was what Mercedes was trying to accomplish with the W221. Not that I don't vastly prefer the styling of the W222 over the W221.
Of course, your opening sentence is absolutely correct - and I was well aware of it when I posted. My posting was conjecturing if the MB wood problems crossed model lines from the 212s, etc., to the the S Class cars. I was not in any way attempting to compare or connect the different model lines.
Old 06-19-2024, 08:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,545 Likes on 1,645 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
All I can say is the interior of mine at 50k miles is holding up great. Theres not even any friction wear/shinyness on any of the leather. No squeaks or rattles. Of course I am careful with it and maintain it very well where others might not.
The following users liked this post:
carlosinseattle (06-19-2024)
Old 06-19-2024, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
Of course, your opening sentence is absolutely correct - and I was well aware of it when I posted. My posting was conjecturing if the MB wood problems crossed model lines from the 212s, etc., to the the S Class cars. I was not in any way attempting to compare or connect the different model lines.
My only real point was that just because his would had been replaced I can pretty much guaranty that it would have faded again. Relative to the cross model question it would appear that the W212 and at least early W222's wood were similarly sourced and not properly treated for UV exposure. In the case of the W212 I think that there was a successful class action lawsuit that resulted in varying degree of compensation for wood replacement.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 06-19-2024 at 12:58 PM.
Old 06-19-2024, 03:39 PM

Mercedes S560
My only real point was that just because his would had been replaced I can pretty much guaranty that it would have faded again. Relative to the cross model question it would appear that the W212 and at least early W222's wood were similarly sourced and not properly treated for UV exposure. In the case of the W212 I think that there was a successful class action lawsuit that resulted in varying degree of compensation for wood replacement.
Well, you obviously have a greater/wider experience than I on this. My thinking involves only my 2018 S and what I felt was a natural reaction - did the wood problem exist in S class cars or only other classes?I didn't, and still don't know what a W212 is, and it doesn't make any difference to me.
I see you are in Cincinnati; I'm upriver in KY. I first dealt with the old MB dealer there, Sheppard Service, on Edwards Road, with Jerry Schoonover, back in '71 when I bought my first - a '71 300Sel with the smaller engine. All recent buys have been MBCincy. Is that where you deal?

Last edited by Lou B; 06-19-2024 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Additions
Old 06-19-2024, 03:41 PM

Mercedes S560
.................................................. ......................

Last edited by Lou B; 06-19-2024 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Duplicated post
Old 06-19-2024, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,545 Likes on 1,645 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
W212 is an E Class
Old 06-19-2024, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
Well, you obviously have a greater/wider experience than I on this. My thinking involves only my 2018 S and what I felt was a natural reaction - did the wood problem exist in S class cars or only other classes?I didn't, and still don't know what a W212 is, and it doesn't make any difference to me.
I see you are in Cincinnati; I'm upriver in KY. I first dealt with the old MB dealer there, Sheppard Service, on Edwards Road, with Jerry Schoonover, back in '71 when I bought my first - a '71 300Sel with the smaller engine. All recent buys have been MBCincy. Is that where you deal?
The W212 is the 2010 to 2016 E class. I have seen on early W222's (your S-Class) as well see two examples below and I have seen worse where is is barely any color. Interestingly the steering wheels don't seem to have the issue just the trim pieces as a function of the sun exposure. The W222 was introduced in 2014 so it's model run overlaps with the model run period of the W212 which is why I think they both had the same wood fading issue. It may well have be corrected by the facelift version that you have.

I remember looking at a 240D on the Edwards road dealership around '83. I buy my cars used, but I have dealt with all three dealers service department in the area. I almost chimed in on your post about your last service because I went through a similar situation with my last E Class. When I took it to MB Cincy for a transmission fluid and filter replacement and they reversed flushed the transmission. As this is not what Mercedes specified I made them go back and do the factory specified service. I have also used Precision Motorcars and Delhi Import service. A lot of people swear by Precision Motorcars.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 06-19-2024 at 10:49 PM.
Old Yesterday, 08:30 AM

Mercedes S560
The W212 is the 2010 to 2016 E class. I have seen on early W222's (your S-Class) as well see two examples below and I have seen worse where is is barely any color. Interestingly the steering wheels don't seem to have the issue just the trim pieces as a function of the sun exposure. The W222 was introduced in 2014 so it's model run overlaps with the model run period of the W212 which is why I think they both had the same wood fading issue. It may well have be corrected by the facelift version that you have.

I remember looking at a 240D on the Edwards road dealership around '83. I buy my cars used, but I have dealt with all three dealers service department in the area. I almost chimed in on your post about your last service because I went through a similar situation with my last E Class. When I took it to MB Cincy for a transmission fluid and filter replacement and they reversed flushed the transmission. As this is not what Mercedes specified I made them go back and do the factory specified service. I have also used Precision Motorcars and Delhi Import service. A lot of people swear by Precision Motorcars.
Thanks for the clarifying response - I will look in to Precision Motorcars.
Old Yesterday, 11:35 AM

Mercedes S560
Thanks for the clarifying response - I will look in to Precision Motorcars.
Precision Motorcars, Cincinnati, OH - I went to their website to check their location and whateverelse - They certainly have a variety of very positive reviews, but unfortunately, there were no reviews newer than 8-12 years ago...
That does not suggest a fall-off in performance, necessarily, maybe not a lot of attention in updating their website. I'll check with them.
Old Yesterday, 01:22 PM

Mercedes S560
Precision Motorcars, Cincinnati, OH - I went to their website to check their location and whateverelse - They certainly have a variety of very positive reviews, but unfortunately, there were no reviews newer than 8-12 years ago...
That does not suggest a fall-off in performance, necessarily, maybe not a lot of attention in updating their website. I'll check with them.
My bad!
I checked with Precision Cars Cincinnati, to see if I had missed something. Their are over 50 reviews to be found on the Google review site when you Google their business - all but one, one out of 51 (and that one clearly didn't tell the whole truth) favorable.
The next time I need my car looked at, without question, this is where I will go. They always use genuine MB parts, if available.
Huge thanks for the suggestion.
The following users liked this post:
MBNUT1 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
There was a guy who had a 600 that the climate control went out on. He sung their praises because of how much cheaper they were able to repair his car. He flew one of their mechanics out to the west coast to look at a car for him. I had a similar experience with them when my current car's transfer case went out. I would have been staring at a $10K repair at the dealer because they would only replace it with the transmission. Precision rebuilt mine for like ~$2500.