S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

2016 / 17 S550 - What Packages are a must vs a pass?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2024, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lexus LS460
2016 / 17 S550 - What Packages are a must vs a pass?

Hello everyone and thanks for taking the time to read this post (and hopefully respond). I guess I am long time Lexus owner (LS400, LS430 2003, LS460 2013) that has finally decided (I think) to get an S-class. I am focusing on a 2016 or 2017 (maybe the 2015, but I am unsure) low mileage (under 60,000 miles). Over the last several weeks, I've read these boards constantly and have learned more than a few things. I have a few questions that I'd like to get some insight on.

The first question is what packages are must in your perspective versus a nice to have (on a side note, these cars have many more options than I imagined)? For instance, rear reclining seats sound cool, but I don't think I'll be in the back seat (like LL, plus this is not a jeep). I've read some posts that say the NAPPA/SEMI-ANILINE leather is a must. I know the AMG body styling package doesn't do anything for me. So for those of you with the 2016 / 17 /15 S550 what packages do you look at as essential? Does anyone have the entertainment package for the rear seat?

Second question, I'm hoping to buy a CPO vehicle and then add the extended warranty to hopefully get three years of warranty (another side note I have had warranty on all of my Lexus vehicles and they have saved me some serious cash, especially on the LS460 which I think is a lemon LOL. I'm a big fan of warranties - end of side note). If I don't get the car from a Mercedes dealership, am I still able to buy a Mercedes extended warranty or would I have to go to Fidelity or another 3rd party?

I think that is it with questions. Once again, thanks!

Old 06-28-2024, 01:36 AM

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts
2016 S550
I wouldn’t go with a 2015, to ensure you got the cast iron liners..whether it made a difference or not, I’d rather go with the newer variant.
I believe 2017s, or some 2017s, came with the 9 speed automatic although keeping the m278..not too sure how I feel about that. Heard mixed reviews.

Anyways, on topic, in my opinion, the must haves would be the Surround View camera and unlocking intelligent lighting system.

Things that I don’t care for on my car and could do without, would be the parking sensors and panoramic sunroof. Parking sensors are obsolete with surround view.

Things that are nice to have, but not really all that great: Massage seats. Although I like everything else about the seats, which I think only come with massage seats (dynamic contouring).
Lane keep assist, self parking, are features I seldom ever use.

Things I wish my car hard? 3D surround system, although it’s probably not really all that. HUD, and Night Vision as well, although the latter probably is just a gimmicky party trick. Rear reclining seats for my passengers, I also prefer the look of those seats.
Old 06-28-2024, 09:45 AM

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
I have a 2020 S560 so it's a bit different. I really miss having a CD player. Sure you can load up a USB stick but I still have many CDs like most people. I guess the model year you're looking at had both a CD changer and a media drive? My husband's old BMW had one.
Old 06-28-2024, 09:50 AM

Received 109 Likes on 60 Posts
Mercedes S560
Originally Posted by LexyBenz
Hello everyone and thanks for taking the time to read this post (and hopefully respond). I guess I am long time Lexus owner (LS400, LS430 2003, LS460 2013) that has finally decided (I think) to get an S-class. I am focusing on a 2016 or 2017 (maybe the 2015, but I am unsure) low mileage (under 60,000 miles). Over the last several weeks, I've read these boards constantly and have learned more than a few things. I have a few questions that I'd like to get some insight on.

The first question is what packages are must in your perspective versus a nice to have (on a side note, these cars have many more options than I imagined)? For instance, rear reclining seats sound cool, but I don't think I'll be in the back seat (like LL, plus this is not a jeep). I've read some posts that say the NAPPA/SEMI-ANILINE leather is a must. I know the AMG body styling package doesn't do anything for me. So for those of you with the 2016 / 17 /15 S550 what packages do you look at as essential? Does anyone have the entertainment package for the rear seat?

Second question, I'm hoping to buy a CPO vehicle and then add the extended warranty to hopefully get three years of warranty (another side note I have had warranty on all of my Lexus vehicles and they have saved me some serious cash, especially on the LS460 which I think is a lemon LOL. I'm a big fan of warranties - end of side note). If I don't get the car from a Mercedes dealership, am I still able to buy a Mercedes extended warranty or would I have to go to Fidelity or another 3rd party?

I think that is it with questions. Once again, thanks!
I surely hope you get some helpful answers, but based on my reviewing posts here for a while, I think your replies will come from Minimalists like myself, who ordered his '18 S56o with only about two options, and who uses only cruise control of the provided standard factory-installed gimmicks, to Maximumists who like to load up a new car.

Old 06-28-2024, 01:04 PM

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
Originally Posted by Lou B
I surely hope you get some helpful answers, but based on my reviewing posts here for a while, I think your replies will come from Minimalists like myself, who ordered his '18 S56o with only about two options, and who uses only cruise control of the provided standard factory-installed gimmicks, to Maximumists who like to load up a new car.
How do you like your roll down windows? 😂

Just teasing because 20 years ago I custom ordered one of the only C240s with a manual transmission, And navigation etc. I never saw another manual C240. I had to explain to a few valets how to put it in reverse.

(They didn’t bother to tell me the automatic had a manual mode but maybe that was only on the E/S class.)