S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Unfamiliar with S class.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2024, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
None
Unfamiliar with S class.

Hello everyone I'm new to being in the market for S class and I don't know much other than watching some YouTube video reviews and comparisons to other cars . I'm looking for a used S class but had a few questions if anyone can help or has advice for my search. I've mostly been looking at carmax due to their warranty that ive heard is pretty good. Im trying to find 1 owner low mile examples but I was wondering if there is anywhere u can search the service history of the vehicle with the VIN . I tried the mercedes me app and couldn't see anywhere on there where u can find that information. Also wondering if there's anywhere u can search for a build sheet with the packages and features a certain car had from factory. Any years or features that have common issues ? What should I look for or possibly avoid ? Obviously any vehicle I will be looking at I would get a PPI with my local Mercedes dealer before purchasing.
Old 08-15-2024, 04:48 AM

Received 542 Likes on 298 Posts
18 AMG GTC and 22 F150 Limited. Past owner 16 Maybach, 17 Brabus Smartcar, 06 Ford E150, and 22 G70
I realize low miles are considered BUT dont rule out a immaculate higher milage car that is owned by a car person that loves and cares for their car and can prove it with receipts and service records. I say this because if your looking for a 2016 car TIME and AGE should also be a factor. A 2016 car sitting and not driven at all with no miles still has things that can age out such as tires and many other components, As a matter of fact some components will wear out sooner when not used than when used.

Just some thoughts.

When i sold my 2016 Maybach the guy that brought it could not believe it had 75000 miles on it. IT DID but I took care of that car and had all the records to prove it. His comment was the car is like new............I said thats the way all my cars are!
The following users liked this post:
carlosinseattle (08-15-2024)
Old 08-15-2024, 07:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 347 Likes on 258 Posts
2016 S550, 2015 Honda Civic Hybrid
This is the best VIN decoder I've found. It's kluge-y but it does pull up most VINs. You have to look through all the codes to find the options, but at least they're all in there.

https://mb.vin/

Carfax has some service data but is a paid service. Dealer service in pretty good detail can be found in the Mercedes VMI (Vehicle Master Inquiry), but you have to get that from a dealer and, in my experience, they only provide it if you're shopping a car they're selling.
Old 08-15-2024, 10:33 AM

Received 262 Likes on 179 Posts
2001 S600 V12 Sold, 2011 Jaguar XFR Sold, 2017 S550 4-Matic, 2018 S63 AMG Sedan
I use: https://www.mbdecoder.com/

Old 08-15-2024, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 689 Likes on 448 Posts
Current/Last 5-years:S560, X7, X5, Accord; Sold:S550, BMW X7; X5;BMW 530e;20'Lincoln Navigator;LS460
The first thing that I'd do is to make sure to download and read the brochure and familiarize yourself with the various options/packages and what each of them mean. That's how you can determine really what packages you don't want to miss. You'll be surprised that some options are hard to find, and rare, but it's very possible that you'll miss or get buyer remorse if you learn about them later (Potential examples: Night View Assist, some of the high-end leather options, magic body control, 3D Burmester, magic sky control, maybe rear screens or rear massage seats). Those are options that may not be a must-have for everyone, but it's usually the ones that are hard to get and really really really nice to have (especially night view assist). They make the S feels even more special for you as the driver.

See this link below:
https://www.mbusa.com/content/dam/mb...PDF_200121.pdf

As far as finding a car, I posted this in another thread, but keep an eye on this S560 (link below). Sounds like most other users agreed that it is a good find. Some minor issues (read the comments section on the web) but nothing major in my opinion. It is NOT fully loaded, but it is fairly loaded. There is more than 90% chance that you'll get this car for fair market value or less (in fact most S-class cars didn't do well on C&B or BAT, so there is chance u'll get it for even less than fair market value, but being a low mileage one there might be another bidder who would keep bidding high, u just never know). Usually nobody goes above fair market value especially that this car and it's build is not that rare, but still fairly loaded.
https://carsandbids.com/auctions/r4R...enz-s560-sedan

Last edited by S_W222; 08-15-2024 at 12:38 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by S_W222:
carlosinseattle (08-15-2024), Tom in Austin (08-15-2024)
Old 08-17-2024, 04:49 PM

Received 113 Likes on 89 Posts
2016 S550e, 2005 Nissan Xterra 4x4, 1984 300ZX
It looks nice but why would you buy a car with 2 warning lights on? I cannot believe the seller didn't fix that ASAP, especially low oil warning!
Old 08-17-2024, 04:55 PM

Received 113 Likes on 89 Posts
2016 S550e, 2005 Nissan Xterra 4x4, 1984 300ZX
But that said about that particular car, a first S-Class is confusing for someone like myself who owned only Japanese cars over the years that had far fewer options, usually 2-4 levels of trim. You should figure out what the ones you really want and try to drive as many. If I could re-do my 2019 search I would have been more patient, I did get a great S550e MSRP around $117k so many good options and others I would have loved that I didn't get. For me the ones I really wanted were AMG package, nicer leatther and all premium package and distronic+ which I got. I would have liked Burmeister 3D, night vision and rear recliners, but I can live without all of those least not enough for me to make a switch anytime soon.
Drive a bunch locally then search pretty much everywhere.

Trending Topics

Old 08-19-2024, 01:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts
2023 e450 cabriolet, 2015 s550, 2024 c300 , 2006 E55, 2005 e320, 2007 gl450, 2014 e63
Originally Posted by Murrayfan97m
Hello everyone I'm new to being in the market for S class and I don't know much other than watching some YouTube video reviews and comparisons to other cars . I'm looking for a used S class but had a few questions if anyone can help or has advice for my search. I've mostly been looking at carmax due to their warranty that ive heard is pretty good. Im trying to find 1 owner low mile examples but I was wondering if there is anywhere u can search the service history of the vehicle with the VIN . I tried the mercedes me app and couldn't see anywhere on there where u can find that information. Also wondering if there's anywhere u can search for a build sheet with the packages and features a certain car had from factory. Any years or features that have common issues ? What should I look for or possibly avoid ? Obviously any vehicle I will be looking at I would get a PPI with my local Mercedes dealer before purchasing.
as other have said low mileage doesn’t mean anything. I’m selling my Pristine w222 for 28k. I dare it to be taken to any shop for a PPI lol. It’s posted on marketplace check it out…