S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Bottom of the 9th, bases loaded, MB down by 3……..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Today | 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, 2024 BMW I7 xDrive60
Originally Posted by chassis
Not fussy. Just dramatic.
OK, if you say so.
Old Today | 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The shifting in the first 2020 S560 was the worst. When I would be decelerating, coming towards a stop, when going from 3rd to 2nd, the car would jerk so much, that it was very unpleasant, especially for my wife. She thought I was jamming on the brakes, but it was all the transmission. This second S560 was not as bad as the first one, but it wasn't right nonetheless. The S580 was just plain sloppy, but only at low speeds--and, by the way--I never complained about the transmission to the dealer, as it was so far down on the list of issues with that car, I never really thought about it. The transmissions in both our 2019 E450 Wagon and 2019 SL450 work flawlessly. Should I not expect the same from an S Class???

Lastly, I would like to point out that harsh shifting transmissions are complained about in several forums on this site by many other members. If they can live with theirs, I'm happy for them. I did not want to live with mine.
Old Today | 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MrMischief
I know who’s at fault! LOL!

I’m so jealous- That’s one Beautiful ride! To have a buy back on not just one but 3 times in a row - that’s what I call very fortunate. Can you send me a pm with some good numbers to play?
It's not luck, it's California. Might be why the state slogan is EUREKA!
Old Today | 02:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by SW20S
I hope he finds it in this car, but if he allows himself to focus on the negatives it could absolutely wind up just like the S Classes. I also read and post in the G70 7 Series forums and there are multiple concerns with these cars just like with the S Class. His S580 was one thing, it was a mess and left him stranded but the S560s? I personally have never felt this 2-3 downshift but I know others have. Is this truly something you can't overlook in a car you otherwise really enjoy?
Originally Posted by Tom in Austin
OP, hope you'll post on here some of your opinions of the 7-series. I test drove an I6 version the other day and thought it was pretty nice. Biggest thing I noticed was the ride wasn't the same ... the salesman wasn't sure but I suspect it had steel springs and I could tell the difference. Does yours have air suspension?
For sure, I sincerely hope this is THE car for him after all that ordeal.

He did have a thread on the comparison although it is on the W223 forum https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...7-andoo-7.html
Old Today | 02:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Streamliner
Yes. MB knows when they are at a point where the CA Lemon Law has been triggered. They know that if they cannot remedy the situation, that the customer will most likely hire an attorney who specializes in Lemon Law cases—there are THOUSANDS of them here. In addition, they KNOW that they will lose and will have to pay all attorney & court costs, so they take the lesser of two evils and just buy the car back.
I see, thanks for confirming, guess we can't have everything after all : ( I mean yes the sunshine and lemon law is the best part for sure.
Old Today | 03:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

Thank you. I feel the same about your offerings here.

How I lament having to move away from Lexus. How they could ever change their course so drastically and go from making the most wonderful, comfortable, rock solid LS sedans to that “thing” they build today is just beyond me. Perhaps one day they will go full circle and get back to what made them famous.
Ya it is a shame, Lexus focused more of a younger image and those smiley grilles instead of the quality they used to. I mean to be fair MB was like the same with younger aim with the A Class I think they even brag about customers are 20 years younger?
Old Today | 03:02 PM
Veteran: Army

W214 E450
That's crazy that you had 3 cars bought back by MB. At least they made it right in that respect. I can't imagine that all 2020 S560s have this harsh shifting or they would be having major losses. I would love to hear what MB is saying internally about this situation. Hope you enjoy the I7 and you don't have issues down the line with it as well. At the cost of these cars, you should expect perfection.
The following users liked this post:
Streamliner (Today)
Old Today | 03:19 PM

'15 E350, '20 S560
Well, Noah experienced 40 days and nights of rain, Moses spent 40 days and nights on Mt. Sinai when he received the Ten Commandments (absent Charlton Heston) and Jesus fasted in the desert for 40 days snd nights. So Streamliner is in good company.
The following 2 users liked this post by Barry Hanna:
carlosinseattle (Today), Streamliner (Today)
Old Today | 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by L1Wolf
That's crazy that you had 3 cars bought back by MB. At least they made it right in that respect. I can't imagine that all 2020 S560s have this harsh shifting or they would be having major losses. I would love to hear what MB is saying internally about this situation. Hope you enjoy the I7 and you don't have issues down the line with it as well. At the cost of these cars, you should expect perfection.
Thanks. Both of my 2020 S560’s were very late production cars. I believe that had something to do with it. Of the 17 new & 4 used MB’s I’ve had, I never had any significant issues until I got the first 2020 S560.
Old Today | 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
Having had both the S560 and the S580, I just have a hard time envisioning the transmission shifting so poorly that it would impact the drivability or enjoyability of the car. My S560 shifted fine as does my S580.
You've obviously led a charmed life.
Old Today | 04:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
Mercedes bought back two brand new 2014 E550s from me in 2014 for the same issue, poor shifting.

it completely took away from the enjoyment of a brand new Mercedes and how it should perform. Fortunately the 2014 e63S they sold me next was smooth shifting to this day. I believe it's hit or miss with Benz transmission shifting:

- they either shift smoothly or they don't
- they mostly shift smoothly or they mostly don't
- the driver either cares or they don't
- there's a myriad of brand critics and apologists on these forums that do or don't wanna hear about it or acknowledge it - it's all good it's the internet you can say what you want
- and any combination therein

Last edited by PeterUbers; Today at 04:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Streamliner (Today)
Old Today | 05:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Some here might think I am too fussy about my cars and that I take advantage of the dealers & manufacturers, but I feel very strongly that if one doesn’t speak up, nothing will change. I mean WHEN did MB forget how to make smooth shifting transmissions? I know, “mild hybrid,” EPA, etc., but those things are no excuse. The transmission I had in my 2018 Ford Transit Van performed WAY better than the transmissions in either of my 2020 S560’s or the absolutely sloppy, jerking slushbox in my 2022 S580. There is no excuse for this. As I and many here have said before, it is high time MB threw in the towel and contracted with ZF to source their transmissions. Having to buy back defective vehicles helps to push MB along to such a decision or to at least drive home the fact that they HAVE A PROBLEM! I’m actually doing them a service.
I guess they are banking on everyone will just move to their EQ lineup without a tradition MB 7G TRONIC or 9G TRONIC, that way, they don't have to spend money fixing the transmission shift issues.
Old Today | 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Originally Posted by MB2timer
My Uncle used to be the guy who didn’t experience a problem, and concluded the problem didn’t exist. He wasn’t the inspiration for the phrase “ignorance is bliss”, but he could have been. I like to be the guy, who when he hears about a problem, leaves the possibility open, that the problem could exist, especially if the problem is eminently plausible.
Im not at all saying the issue doesn’t exist, I said other people have reported the same thing. I just said I have a hard time imagining it could be so bad that it would keep one from enjoying the car given my own experience and there not be any way to repair it.

As I said before nothing is perfect. Expecting perfection is just asking to be disappointed.

Originally Posted by MBNUT1
Apparently!

Last edited by SW20S; Today at 06:31 PM.
Old Today | 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Current/Last 5-years: GLS,X5,Tesla,Accord; Sold:S560;S550,2x X7; X5;BMW 530e;Lincoln Navigator;LS460
Im not at all saying the issue doesn’t exist, I said other people have reported the same thing. I just said I have a hard time imagining it could be so bad that it would keep one from enjoying the car given my own experience and there not be any way to repair it.

As I said before nothing is perfect. Expecting perfection is just asking to be disappointed.

Apparently!
My first W222 had a downshifting issue that truly prevented me from enjoying the car (my passenger would sometimes think we were hit from behind!). It was that bad when it happened, but it was rare. However, it was definitely fixable. Once fixed, did it shift like a BMW? No. Was it acceptable to live with? Of course, I also bought two other high-end Mercedes-Benzes since then, and for both, I knew they came with the same terrible Mbenz transmission. But the cars were great enough for me to enjoy. I liked my second W222 (it didn’t have the best shifting behavior, but it was just like any other W222, and I never thought I want to sell the car or hire an attorney for that reason or to fight it with benz). My current GLS also doesn’t shift like my X5 or X7, but it still shifts better than any other MBenz I’ve had since it has the inline-6 engine (but again, not like my other BMWs but I can live with it and I like it).

My guess is that Streamliner’s recent W222 was shifting just like my last W222 (in a way that it doesn’t shift well, but it’s just like any other Mbenz with the typical terrible Mbenz transmission that we all have). By the way, the EQS and EQE don’t even have the best regenerative braking experience (at least from my personal experience). For any experienced EV driver, the EQS regenerative braking is just as bad as their ICE transmissions, but in a different way.

Back to the buyback… man, California law is just too biased that most other buyers in other states are paying for the extra cost that Mercedes-Benz incurred from the massive buyouts in California, which they would pass on to us in some way or another. For MeMBUSA to buy a pre-owned W222 only because a downshifting issue was reported (granted they took 40 days) is just insane.

Last edited by S_W222; Today at 07:12 PM.
Old Today | 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Current/Last 5-years: GLS,X5,Tesla,Accord; Sold:S560;S550,2x X7; X5;BMW 530e;Lincoln Navigator;LS460
I personally have never felt this 2-3 downshift but I know others have. Is this truly something you can't overlook in a car you otherwise really enjoy?
Good point. My wife never felt the typical mbenz downshifting in our 2nd W222… She never mentioned anything now about her GLS and how it shifts versus the buttery smooth X5/X7. The downshift (when it’s not extremely bad) in most Mbenz cars is subtle and not that apparent for owner to be embarrassed when driving others around, but it’s surely noticeable for some, and should have been noticeable to their engineers. I truly think they just don’t know the answer or assumed it to be lower priority over emissions controls/thresholds or something.