S-Class (W223) 2021 to Present

My In-Depth S-Class Review: Still the King?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2021, 08:47 PM

Received 119 Likes on 79 Posts
S550
I saw a W223 cruising down the highway today... They look better in person than they do in pictures! Beautiful car.
Old 07-22-2021, 12:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,579 Likes on 977 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by Sean._.S
I saw a W223 cruising down the highway today... They look better in person than they do in pictures! Beautiful car.
They really do look quite beautiful and elegant. And with the AMG-Line the right amount of aggression. Much better than the chunky Audi or Beaver toothed Bimmer in my opinion.
The following users liked this post:
Sean._.S (07-23-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 942 Likes on 688 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Great write-up. Much better than many of the professional reviews. So even if I was in the market for this car I think the inelegance of dashboard would be a showstopper. How did you find it in real life?
Old 07-23-2021, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
Great write-up. Much better than many of the professional reviews. So even if I was in the market for this car I think the inelegance of dashboard would be a showstopper. How did you find it in real life?
I did not mind it. I find that the cabin really is just such a nice place to be and so ahead of everything in its class that the integration of the gauge cluster never even came to mind. Not to mention it works perfectly with my driving and steering position. I also find that the gauges are still one of the best digital clusters in the industry with great customizability and usability, it absolutely shames the 7-Series and its illegible gauge cluster. Of course every opinion will differ, but I suggest you try to find a W223 to sit in and test out, it really is a great interior in my opinion. Controversial indeed, but it feels very modern.
MBNUT1 (07-23-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 01:12 PM

Received 173 Likes on 114 Posts
2021 S500 (Mojave Silver), MB S400 (wife), BMW 750Li (passed on to kids)
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
I’ve had mine since around mid-May and an incredible joy to drive (in addition to being a real “head-turner” if you’re into that and being one of the first in town). My view of the dashboard might be a bit biased since I’m a kind of a high-tech guy. IMHO it does not reduce the elegance of the car overall in any way and definitely not a show stopper whatsoever. It flows well with the overall interior design and ambiance.
If I had to complain (relative to screen) it would be 2 minor issues:
1) Screen a bit prone to finger prints but only noticeable (annoying?) in direct sunlight. I therefore have a small micro fiber mitt I keep in lower door compartment which I wipe the screen at end of day; no big issue (car comes with a small laughable size cloth)
2) The screen glitches every once in great while (maybe 3 times so far), in that it might not revert to Home Screen when finished with a sub-screen. It’s hard to describe: the main part of the central screen goes blank but lower part where A/C and other main fixed controls are remain on screen. I have to either press the home button on screen or steering wheel. See attached pic (photoshopped a bit for clarity). I’m almost certain with be resolved with future software updates which isn’t uncommon for such a software intense vehicle. This is ver 1.0 (or so) after all !

The following 5 users liked this post by Sonic Boom:
ColeBlooded (07-23-2021), far2000 (10-12-2021), js_cls (07-23-2021), Ormond2004 (07-26-2021), YasS (07-24-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 02:42 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,355 Likes on 2,809 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by Sonic Boom
I’ve had mine since around mid-May and an incredible joy to drive (in addition to being a real “head-turner” if you’re into that and being one of the first in town). My view of the dashboard might be a bit biased since I’m a kind of a high-tech guy. IMHO it does not reduce the elegance of the car overall in any way and definitely not a show stopper whatsoever. It flows well with the overall interior design and ambiance.
1) Screen a bit prone to finger prints but only noticeable (annoying?) in direct sunlight. I therefore have a small micro fiber mitt I keep in lower door compartment which I wipe the screen at end of day; no big issue (car comes with a small laughable size cloth)
2) The screen glitches every once in great while (maybe 3 times so far), in that it might not revert to Home Screen when finished with a sub-screen. It’s hard to describe: the main part of the central screen goes blank but lower part where A/C and other main fixed controls are remain on screen. I have to either press the home button on screen or steering wheel. See attached pic (photoshopped a bit for clarity). I’m almost certain with be resolved with future software updates which isn’t uncommon for such a software intense vehicle. This is ver 1.0 (or so) after all !
Is there voice command and if so how does it respond? Is MB relying on customers using that feature more now?
Old 07-23-2021, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by hyperion667
Is there voice command and if so how does it respond? Is MB relying on customers using that feature more now?
There is voice command, via “Hey Mercedes,” I’m sure most of us have heard of. To get the full benefit need to have Mercedes Me set up. The voice recognition not as good as iPhone’s Siri via CarPlay (of course the features/commands are somewhat different between the two). And both not as good voice recognition as Alexa IMO.
hyperion667 (07-23-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 12:10 AM

Received 222 Likes on 131 Posts
S580
My favorite voice command feature is controlling the roof shade. I don't like using the swipe gesture.
Old 07-24-2021, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by ColeBlooded
My favorite voice command feature is controlling the roof shade. I don't like using the swipe gesture.
But, FYI, you can’t open the actual sunroof via VC; safety issue if I’m not mistaken.
Old 07-24-2021, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 942 Likes on 688 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
To be clear I was referring to what JS CLS correctly called the gauge cluster. What I find in-elegant is the lack of binnacle surrounding it.
Old 07-24-2021, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Great to hear you’re enjoying it. As expected with any new tech there’ll be glitches but its good to hear that they’re nothing to serious.
Old 07-25-2021, 10:12 AM

Received 226 Likes on 139 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec, 2024 E350 4matic W214, 2014 GLK250 Bluetec, 2000 CLK320 Cabrio
Just chiming in a bit late on the original post - fantastic review! Thanks for posting!
js_cls (07-26-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 09:00 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Mercedes S550
@js_cls Excellent review and photography. I would definitely want the multi-contour massage seats, but the interior is quite attractive. Thank you for sharing.
js_cls (07-26-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 10:53 AM

Received 119 Likes on 68 Posts
‘16 g550; '20 s560; '15 targa4s
i dropped off my s560 for service today. dealer had the new s. looked at it. meh. underwhelming, tbh. looked narrower than my '20 s. seems like it lacks presence ... and if there is one thing an s should *always* have - it's presence. i'm just luke warm on it.
Old 07-26-2021, 10:57 AM

Received 151 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by ajm0623
i dropped off my s560 for service today. dealer had the new s. looked at it. meh. underwhelming, tbh. looked narrower than my '20 s. seems like it lacks presence ... and if there is one thing an s should *always* have - it's presence. i'm just luke warm on it.
Did it have the bigger rims 20inch plus and or amg package? The size of the 2021 vs 2022 S class is bigger by 1.5 inch in length and 2 inches wider.
Old 07-26-2021, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
I don’t find the new model to have less “presence.” The dealer I went to had both AMG-Line and Luxury-Line W222’s which did not stand out any more so than the W223’s which I find to have a more aggressive look when equipped with AMG-Line. I have never really been a fan of the Luxury-Line on either 222 or 223.
Germancar1 (07-26-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,174 Likes on 1,978 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by js_cls
I don’t find the new model to have less “presence.” The dealer I went to had both AMG-Line and Luxury-Line W222’s which did not stand out any more so than the W223’s which I find to have a more aggressive look when equipped with AMG-Line. I have never really been a fan of the Luxury-Line on either 222 or 223.
Same for me. The W223 is a great looking car and the changes give it a more modern look. The issue with the new S-Class in the US is in the packaging of options. I prefer the AMG line but would want the freedom to add some of the rear seat goodies...
The change to package levels instead of options is a major initiative across all MB models worldwide; interesting that MB excluded the S-Class from this internationally but did it in the US. Interesting to see if this will be maintained moving forward.

Another non-S-Class limitation is the small selection of exterior/interior colors/material options. Ideally I would want the Designo Manufaktur program to be as accessible as BMW with its Individual program.
js_cls (07-26-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Same for me. The W223 is a great looking car and the changes give it a more modern look. The issue with the new S-Class in the US is in the packaging of options. I prefer the AMG line but would want the freedom to add some of the rear seat goodies...
The change to package levels instead of options is a major initiative across all MB models worldwide; interesting that MB excluded the S-Class from this internationally but did it in the US. Interesting to see if this will be maintained moving forward.

Another non-S-Class limitation is the small selection of exterior/interior colors/material options. Ideally I would want the Designo Manufaktur program to be as accessible as BMW with its Individual program.
Agree, I definitely prefer the 222’s interior choices, although I imagine the reason for the smaller selection is because most buyers (dealers) likely optioned for black or beige, and most didn’t go for the higher grade leather that is packaged with the more interesting color choices, especially since a lot of the used models I see have the regular base leather with no quilting/cross-stitching.
Old 07-28-2021, 05:38 AM

so i've seen the interiour bits and am disappointed that the wood isn't more pervasive throughout the cabin. it appears it is limited to the big slab on the dashboard area in front of the front seat passenger and the trim on the back of the front seats. the rest of the cabin is finished in black piano wood (plastic?). looks disjointed and not at all luxurious. or harmonious. whatever your wood choice, it should have been carried throughout the cabin where all that black piano/plastic appliqués are shown. another swing and a miss. smh.
Old 07-28-2021, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by ajm0623
so i've seen the interiour bits and am disappointed that the wood isn't more pervasive throughout the cabin. it appears it is limited to the big slab on the dashboard area in front of the front seat passenger and the trim on the back of the front seats. the rest of the cabin is finished in black piano wood (plastic?). looks disjointed and not at all luxurious. or harmonious. whatever your wood choice, it should have been carried throughout the cabin where all that black piano/plastic appliqués are shown. another swing and a miss. smh.
Not all the available trim options are “piano wood.” Or “plasticy”
Have you seen trim “Silver Aluminum Fanned Walnut Wood?” (code H38) Gorgeous!
Or even “Fineline Anthracite Natural Grain” code H02
And if you’re into carbon fiber “Stainless Steel-Metal Blended Black/Silver) code H75
Old 07-28-2021, 06:30 AM

i understand that. my point was that the wood choice is not carried throughout the cabin - like the door control panels and the centre console. that area is black wood/plastic irrespective of the chosen wood grain.
Jmcintire217 (07-28-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 08:26 AM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
'71 280SL /'19 AMG GTR /22 S580 /'24 Range Rover SV LWB /'20 Toyota Sien /'24 MB S63 E (ordered)
Originally Posted by Wolfman

Great observations. I agree completely especially on the color selection and limited individual options.
Old 07-28-2021, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
I have to concur with those opinions that claim the car , both in and out, is much better looking and put together then we thought or what we judged based on photographs alone.
I admit I was one of the harshest critics of the interior and the Tesla screen in particular but now, after seeing the car in person and driving it a bit, I have to eat the crow.
Car is simply gorgeous inside, definitely not lower fit and finish then W222, screen is not as obnoxious as I thought it would be either.
I would still much prefer more analog dashboard, without that screen (love Mulsanne dash), but I understand the technology is going forward and if I still want to buy a new car once in a while, I have to accept that fact.

The following 2 users liked this post by absent:
js_cls (07-28-2021), Wolfman (07-29-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by absent
I have to concur with those opinions that claim the car , both in and out, is much better looking and put together then we thought or what we judged based on photographs alone.
I admit I was one of the harshest critics of the interior and the Tesla screen in particular but now, after seeing the car in person and driving it a bit, I have to eat the crow.
Car is simply gorgeous inside, definitely not lower fit and finish then W222, screen is not as obnoxious as I thought it would be either.
I would still much prefer more analog dashboard, without that screen (love Mulsanne dash), but I understand the technology is going forward and if I still want to buy a new car once in a while, I have to accept that fact.
Selenite Gray with AMG-Line looks fantastic, very elegant with some subtle aggression. Selenite is definitely one of the better and least boring grays in the market, although I am biased since my CLS is selenite
Old 07-31-2021, 10:18 AM

Received 60 Likes on 29 Posts
2020 Tesla S
Observations after 1 week

A week today since I received my new S580 and enjoying learning how to “ master” all the new tech.
One disappointment, however.
On a trip from LA to San Diego yesterday in stop and go traffic, the Automatic feature of distance keeping from the car in front of me was very jerky and uneven, i.e. when stopped or slow it would speed up to that car and brake too quickly when it neared it. My Tesla as a comparison, was much smoother and seemed to “anticipate” the car movement in front much better. Besides being uncomfortable, I had a fear of getting rear ended by the car behind me because of the sudden stops. This must be a software problem that other S580s are probably experiencing.. I wonder the best way to let Mercedes become aware of this, besides contacting the dealer’s service department.
Otherwise, the car is a dream compared to my 2020 Tesla S

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My In-Depth S-Class Review: Still the King?