Test drove new s500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2021, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 361 Likes on 298 Posts
1991 190E 2.3
Originally Posted by Germancar1
The CLS is done. They've already dropped the CLS53 from the U.S. market. The AMG GT 4-door outsells it for a good size premium and there is generally no need for both cars anymore. The BMW 8-Series actually out sold the 7-Series last year and the 2022 models are on sale now with a price discounts to keep them selling.

M
I think the later generations of CLS became ordinary while the 1st generation was a true quirky outlier that got people's attention. Now that the CLS is so ordinary it's hard to distinguish it from an E or S class so I think that's why CLS sales nosedived and the CLS will now likely not survive. It's to bad because the 1st generation was really unique. I think it would've fared better had MB kept the original unique quirkiness.
Old 08-11-2021, 02:06 PM

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts
2015 MBZ S 550
You mentioned a very important thing, passion. The salespeople at dealerships just lack the passion with the brand and/or the product nowadays. I found it especially true when it comes to technicians that works for service, they really came for the pay cheque. Numerous times I take my vehicle to a dealership to get them to fix something, they either can't replicate it or say it is normal. In Canada, technicians are paid based on their task and they are assigned a timeframe (average time the job takes), if technicians can finish a 1 hour job in 30 minutes, they get paid the full hour so they can work on the next task or go over the 1 hour and still get paid 1 hour. Unfortunately, that means technicians don't care if a job is done right unless it backfires that cause severe issues or that the customer notices it.

It blows my mind every time I talk to technicians (on problems they actually are able to duplicate) and unable to figure out the problem. Most of the forum members here on mbworld.org are enthusiast and engineers that knows our cars and the brand much more than these people that are trained to work on the brand and products, ironically. Many times I have to spoon feed these MB technicians the information like service bulletins, point out what component is causing such common issues which replacing/repairing that component or components worked for other people on the forum.

As for a salesperson, the turnover rate is rather high so I am not sure if these "inexperienced" salespeople that you talked to are from other car brands and didn't spend much time to study the product portfolio from the brand they are currently working for.

I find this inexcusable. If I were a sales manager of a high end car dealership, I’d make sure my sales force was very familiar with the product they are selling before I let them onto the sales floor to talk with potential customers. Or, I would have a couple people who were just there to help the salespeople with technical questions. People who knew the cars inside and out. They would get a cut of all of the salespersons commission. Kind of like a busboy or bar back.

Just random thoughts from a happily retired pensioner who will never work again.
Old 08-11-2021, 05:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,465 Likes on 2,098 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by Socalsteve
You mentioned a very important thing, passion. The salespeople at dealerships just lack the passion with the brand and/or the product nowadays. I found it especially true when it comes to technicians that works for service, they really came for the pay cheque. Numerous times I take my vehicle to a dealership to get them to fix something, they either can't replicate it or say it is normal. In Canada, technicians are paid based on their task and they are assigned a timeframe (average time the job takes), if technicians can finish a 1 hour job in 30 minutes, they get paid the full hour so they can work on the next task or go over the 1 hour and still get paid 1 hour. Unfortunately, that means technicians don't care if a job is done right unless it backfires that cause severe issues or that the customer notices it.

It blows my mind every time I talk to technicians (on problems they actually are able to duplicate) and unable to figure out the problem. Most of the forum members here on mbworld.org are enthusiast and engineers that knows our cars and the brand much more than these people that are trained to work on the brand and products, ironically. Many times I have to spoon feed these MB technicians the information like service bulletins, point out what component is causing such common issues which replacing/repairing that component or components worked for other people on the forum.

As for a salesperson, the turnover rate is rather high so I am not sure if these "inexperienced" salespeople that you talked to are from other car brands and didn't spend much time to study the product portfolio from the brand they are currently working for.

I find this inexcusable. If I were a sales manager of a high end car dealership, I’d make sure my sales force was very familiar with the product they are selling before I let them onto the sales floor to talk with potential customers. Or, I would have a couple people who were just there to help the salespeople with technical questions. People who knew the cars inside and out. They would get a cut of all of the salespersons commission. Kind of like a busboy or bar back.

Just random thoughts from a happily retired pensioner who will never work again.
I totally understand where you are coming from and I too wish they are more knowledgeable but unfortunately that is just how it is and unfortunately they (management) don't seem to have anything planned to change this. That being said, in their defense the new S-Class is all new and they probably joined the dealership prior to this car arriving. Maybe time will tell if they get the proper training they should had with this model.
Old 08-12-2021, 07:10 AM

Received 173 Likes on 114 Posts
2021 S500 (Mojave Silver), MB S400 (wife), BMW 750Li (passed on to kids)
Originally Posted by Tom in Austin
Neither the salesman nor I could figure out the door handles, only by using the button on the fob would the handles extend to be able to open the doors. Closed fine using a finger touch on the handle.
Originally Posted by Sonic Boom
There are proximity sensors so the door handles should pop out around 10 ft away with the key fob with you.
If it doesn’t for some reason, just swipe hand across the handle and it will pop out. FYI this will gesture will also work if the car is unlocked and the door handles have recessed and the key fob not with you. Before I got the car I wondered what would happen if I left car unlocked in garage, as I normally would do; would the door handles remain in extended position or would recess? But was pleasantly surprised to find they recess and would extend without having the key fob when I swiped my hand across.
I found this in another thread titled “223 Bulletins to date “ by Konigstiger (Thanks!):

LI80.61-P-073356 JUL21 – 223 with Keyless Go (889) door handles intermittently do not extend upon approach in Selective Unlocking, press the Unlock button on the key twice this globally unlocks the vehicle one time Selective unlocking setting will remain. A software solution is currently being worked on update for this is scheduled for 12/21.

Hope it helps.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sonic Boom:
Diesel Benz (08-12-2021), drose224 (08-12-2021)
Old 08-12-2021, 08:53 AM

2015 MBZ S 550
I found this in another thread titled “223 Bulletins to date “ by Konigstiger (Thanks!):

LI80.61-P-073356 JUL21 – 223 with Keyless Go (889) door handles intermittently do not extend upon approach in Selective Unlocking, press the Unlock button on the key twice this globally unlocks the vehicle one time Selective unlocking setting will remain. A software solution is currently being worked on update for this is scheduled for 12/21.

Hope it helps.
This is one of many reasons why you don’t buy a brand new model in its first production run. Wait til mid year of its run or it’s second year of production when, hopefully, most if not all of the bugs have been worked out.
The following 2 users liked this post by Socalsteve:
Jmcintire217 (08-12-2021), places (08-12-2021)
Old 08-12-2021, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
This is one of many reasons why you don’t buy a brand new model in its first production run. Wait til mid year of its run or it’s second year of production when, hopefully, most if not all of the bugs have been worked out.
Does it really matter if your neighbour has the car behaving just like yours but has been driving the new model already quite some time before you, despite having some small issues during the time you did not have these issues, and did not have the car at all?

Perhaps you are more after hardware issues that in the worst case are left to be fixed and paid by the owner.

Before 223 the US market only started with a new body after the other markets had been working out small bugs for 6 moths or more. You still wanted to wait a bit. Perhaps MY 2022 is not enough then for the 223?
Old 08-12-2021, 03:45 PM

2015 MBZ S 550
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
Does it really matter if your neighbour has the car behaving just like yours but has been driving the new model already quite some time before you, despite having some small issues during the time you did not have these issues, and did not have the car at all?

Perhaps you are more after hardware issues that in the worst case are left to be fixed and paid by the owner.

Before 223 the US market only started with a new body after the other markets had been working out small bugs for 6 moths or more. You still wanted to wait a bit. Perhaps MY 2022 is not enough then for the 223?
After reading that the door lock issue won’t have a fix until 12/21, doesn’t that make you want to wait a bit so that the bugs that all new production cars have will have fixes before you buy and live with a $125,000.00 car with issues that can’t be fixed for months? I know I would. If nothing else, it will be much less frustrating going into the service department of your local dealership and them saying sorry, come back in 4 months and we will fix your very expensive vehicle.

Also, I do believe that smart common consumer wisdom is to wait awhile once a new vehicle comes to market. That’s what I’ve always been told and believe to be true.
Old 08-12-2021, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,660 Likes on 1,707 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
I stopped caring what other people have and I don't have many, many years ago lol

Can I drive my W222 for a year waiting for the bugs to be worked out of a W223? Sure. Most people can't tell the difference between them anyways. Too busy to deal with a car with a bunch of problems.
The following users liked this post:
Diesel Benz (08-15-2021)
Old 08-12-2021, 04:40 PM

After reading that the door lock issue won’t have a fix until 12/21, doesn’t that make you want to wait a bit so that the bugs that all new production cars have will have fixes before you buy and live with a $125,000.00 car with issues that can’t be fixed for months?
What percentage of the new W223 have this issue?? Mine doesn’t and works like a charm. Every single new release car has some sort of issues as I’m sure many in this forum are perfectly aware. Does that stop first adopters? Plus, each has his or her own reasons why they get a 1st production car. Personally I was in need of a new car and didn’t want to wait any longer. My other choice was for the new Range Rover and that isn’t set for release until late 2022. If I applied the “don’t get first year production” logic with that car too, then I’d have to wait till 2023 LOL
Old 08-12-2021, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by SW20S
Most people can't tell the difference between them anyways.
Sorry, but why care what others perceive or not? The car is for you, not others.
Old 08-12-2021, 05:00 PM

Received 223 Likes on 132 Posts
S580
What percentage of the new W223 have this issue?? Mine doesn’t and works like a charm. Every single new release car has some sort of issues as I’m sure many in this forum are perfectly aware. Does that stop first adopters? Plus, each has his or her own reasons why they get a 1st production car. Personally I was in need of a new car and didn’t want to wait any longer. My other choice was for the new Range Rover and that isn’t set for release until late 2022. If I applied the “don’t get first year production” logic with that car too, then I’d have to wait till 2023 LOL
No door handle issues with mine.
Old 08-13-2021, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,660 Likes on 1,707 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
Sorry, but why care what others perceive or not? The car is for you, not others.
You and I are making the same point. Thats precisely what I was saying, the other poster said people should buy an early model and just deal with problems because their neighbor has the new car and they don't. My point was, who cares?

I care more about having a car without a lot of annoying issues than I care about being the first person on my block with the new car.
Buddyk (09-05-2021)
Old 08-24-2021, 11:09 AM

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
2015 S-550
Originally Posted by Merserybenze
Wanted to upgrade from my 2018 s450. Didn’t like it. Seems a little ‘cheap” on the interior materials. Weird small screen for the driver dash. Gear changes were jerky in lower gears. Interior was more geometric with sharp perimeters vs the current curved perimeters and smooth edges. Brakes were softer. I felt disconnected from the drive. Side view mirrors were smaller. Quieter cabin. Cameras were much better than my s450. It did seem roomier though. Lots of tech in this upgraded version with minimal buttons. Sadly I’ll give this iteration a miss and am now looking for a 2020 model. My personal opinion of course. I know many people love them which is clear when you look at the demand.
I kind of made the same conclusion. The thing I like best in the S 500 is the new engine. The rest of the car and the MBUX is not an improvement. I think the reason they changed it is that a touch screen is much cheaper than mechanical switches.
Buddyk (09-05-2021)
Old 08-24-2021, 02:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by elmalo
I kind of made the same conclusion. The thing I like best in the S 500 is the new engine. The rest of the car and the MBUX is not an improvement. I think the reason they changed it is that a touch screen is much cheaper than mechanical switches.
That. and there are less modules and wires to connect to compared to physical buttons, all they have to do is code icons on the screen and what happens when you tap them or hold them.

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 08-24-2021 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-24-2021, 05:39 PM

2015 S-550
Exactly.
Old 08-24-2021, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 983 Likes on 719 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
I suggested the same as was told on these boards that was not the case.
Old 08-24-2021, 09:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by MBNUT1
I suggested the same as was told on these boards that was not the case.
Hmmm interesting, I didn't come across such a post (or I came across it but don't remember about it at all), if you find it do you mind linking us it please?
I guess MB just likes to digitalize things and this is part of their strategy to prep for everything becoming electric (as part of their strategy update last month https://www.daimler.com/company/stra...ric-drive.html)
Old 08-25-2021, 05:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

Hmmm, I came across Doug DeMuro's video which made me even more curious, I don't know why he also said it is because it saves automakers' cost (his words). Maybe we are all misinformed even automotive reviewers? I am genuinely curious to find out so if you do come across that post again, please do share it.
Here is the video I am talking about:
He mentioned about it at the 6 minute and 35 second mark approximately.
Old 08-25-2021, 05:37 PM

2015 S-550
The touch screen is probably made in China or Mexico at very low cost, it is easy to install and connect compared to mechanical specially designed switches that need to be installed and each one wired up. They would not go to touch screen if it was more expensive, especially when also considering the negative comments.
Sactownmb (10-01-2021)
Old 08-25-2021, 05:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

The touch screen is probably made in China or Mexico at very low cost, it is easy to install and connect compared to mechanical specially designed switches that need to be installed and each one wired up. They would not go to touch screen if it was more expensive, especially when also considering the negative comments.
That makes me curious, any chance that we can find out who is the supplier of the OLED screen? I am thinking it would be Samsung but it is just me guessing at this point because they do make most of the OLED screen for smartphones of various brands and I am not surprised if Mercedes too asked them to supply these screens?
Edit: Looks like it would be LG instead. As the article quotes "they have been working with each other since 2016", although I guessed Samsung because they do supply the tablets for the rear seat passengers as part of the rear seat entertainment package.
https://www.oled-info.com/mercedes-a...ss-automobiles
Edit2: https://www.oled-info.com/mercedes-b...8-oled-display (This article guesses it is likely from LG but did not confirm it)
Edit3: http://www.businesskorea.co.kr/news/...ml?idxno=48924 (This article confirms that LG Display supplied the OLED and the OLED is made in South Korea)

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 08-25-2021 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 08-25-2021, 05:49 PM

2015 S-550
I have no idea, could be Samsung. These things have been made for years and are not high tech by any means just because they now show up in cars. More distractive than switches and simpler menus. I like the new inline 6 cyl engine and the 48 volt system in the S500, but the car needs rear-wheel-steering and less MBUX.
Old 08-25-2021, 05:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

I have no idea, could be Samsung. These things have been made for years and are not high tech by any means just because they now show up in cars. More distractive than switches and simpler menus. I like the new inline 6 cyl engine and the 48 volt system in the S500, but the car needs rear-wheel-steering and less MBUX.
Yup, smartphone screens and technologies are more advanced than those are used in cars, another reason why chipmakers prioritizes production for computer and smartphone businesses because it is more profitable.
No worries, I just found out the OLED screen is made by LG after all. We don't have to guess anymore lol.
Speaking of the S500, I wonder how much the supercharger they added actually helps...
Old 08-26-2021, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Hmmm, I came across Doug DeMuro's video which made me even more curious, I don't know why he also said it is because it saves automakers' cost (his words). Maybe we are all misinformed even automotive reviewers? I am genuinely curious to find out so if you do come across that post again, please do share it.
Here is the video I am talking about:
https://youtu.be/usGnLmBYcjw?t=395
He mentioned about it at the 6 minute and 35 second mark approximately.
Call me lazy, but I miss the controller on center console. You could have your left arm on steering wheel and right arm comfortably on center arm rest and control the system without lifting your arm. But I guess would of been overkill to have it in address tot the touch screen.
Old 08-26-2021, 03:06 PM
Out Of Control!!

Call me lazy, but I miss the controller on center console. You could have your left arm on steering wheel and right arm comfortably on center arm rest and control the system without lifting your arm. But I guess would of been overkill to have it in address tot the touch screen.
I wouldn't call that lazy, I call that enjoying what you paid for.
Old 08-26-2021, 04:01 PM

2015 S-550
Totally prefer the central controller over the touch screen. More convenient and less distracting. Touch screens are for cell phones and maybe laptops, but not for cars

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Test drove new s500