S-Class (W223) 2021 to Present

No cup holders in rear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2022, 12:30 PM

Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts
S580
Originally Posted by Rockland
I certainly wasnt trying to be superior. Spent 25 minutes after going through a drive through sitting in a parking lot with my family trying to figure out where the cupholders were. I apologize if my stupidity irks you. Yeah, I assumed there had to be cupholders somewhere. But it sure wasn’t obvious. And you know what, I don’t want to read the effing manual. I am not an engineer. You do you.
On my first test drive, the door was way out open so before I reached way out, I looked and didn't see where I should grab the door. The sales lady pointed to behind the arm rest, but it was not obvious to me either. After I received my car I was showing to my neighbor that has an S-Class. When he got in, he also didn't know where to grab and asked. Some things are simple when explained, but not obvious to all of us at first.
Old 01-03-2022, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,028 Likes on 745 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
I certainly wasnt trying to be superior. Spent 25 minutes after going through a drive through sitting in a parking lot with my family trying to figure out where the cupholders were. I apologize if my stupidity irks you. Yeah, I assumed there had to be cupholders somewhere. But it sure wasn’t obvious. And you know what, I don’t want to read the effing manual. I am not an engineer. You do you.
I can assure you as an engineer, reading the manual is an act of last resort.
The following users liked this post:
Old Rocker (01-03-2022)
Old 01-03-2022, 12:44 PM

Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts
S580
Originally Posted by bishop64
Of all technology, touchscreen is going to stay, for sure. Personally, I have no problem with touchscreen. I build my own PC for years and am comfortable with both hardwares and softwares. I reckon, if one can handle a smartphone, one can handle the central panel with ease. Having said that, and with years of experience of handling PCs, I hope MB will continue to work hard on their softwares as buggy softwares can be very scary. Can you imagine experiencing a BSOD while driving down an expressway? :-)
I also like the touch screen. My complaint was when useless screens of information come up and cover the screen you actually chose. In particular is the red light view screen. In my case I have very good far vision driving, but when I look at that view on the screen I can barely see the red light so it is useless to me. I wish I could turn it off permanently. When I was using Nav, a stop was a perfect place to view the screen to confirm direction, but several screens overlay-ed the map, one I was able to close easily, the other I could not figure out how to dismiss before the light went to green.

I like the screens, I just wish I could eliminate some of the stuff that I personally don't need. The red light screen can be disable per trip, but not all the time as an example. Also the interior looks great, but the angle of the screen seems to attract a lot of glare and show fingerprints because of it. I realize I have to live with the physical position, but I hope future updates address concerns and requests from owners.
Old 01-03-2022, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,865 Likes on 1,845 Posts
2024 S580
If you "assumed there had to be cupholders somewhere" why did you come here complaining indignantly about the "lack of cupholders" instead of asking where they were?

"Stupidity" (which this is not) doesn't irk me, arrogance and self importance does. If you don't want to learn how to use features and technology, don't buy the world's most complex car...something is not a "design flaw" because you need to be taught how to use it properly.
BenjaminKohl (07-27-2022)
Old 01-03-2022, 12:52 PM

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts
Volvo XC90
Originally Posted by SW20S
If you "assumed there had to be cupholders somewhere" why did you come here complaining indignantly about the "lack of cupholders" instead of asking where they were?

"Stupidity" (which this is not) doesn't irk me, arrogance and self importance does. If you don't want to learn how to use features and technology, don't buy the world's most complex car...something is not a "design flaw" because you need to be taught how to use it properly.
Okay. Whatever. You win. I do think it is a flawed design though, now that I know where they are and how to get to them.
Robb92914 (07-25-2022)
Old 01-03-2022, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Okay. Whatever. You win. I do think it is a flawed design though, now that I know where they are and how to get to them.
Sure, because you don't like the car and you are predisposed to find fault with it.
Old 01-03-2022, 01:08 PM

Volvo XC90
Sure, because you don't like the car and you are predisposed to find fault with it.
Give me a break. There are a lot of things I do like about the car and there are a few things I do not like about the car.

Already mentioned the things I really do like:

Suspension
Burmeister 4D
seat comfort
massage seats
legroom
ADAS Distronic
voice recognition

cons:
Touchscreen
Touch capacitive controls especially the arrow buttons on the OK button on steering wheel

I will bet you that I am in the majority here.

I am not pre-disposed to anything. I am definitely open minded about wanting to like the car.

The following 2 users liked this post by Rockland:
aeggroup (01-04-2022), Old Rocker (01-03-2022)
Old 01-03-2022, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
I am definitely open minded about wanting to like the car.
Then don't lead with negativity next time you come across something you need guidance on how to use properly.
Old 01-03-2022, 03:30 PM

Received 154 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Rocker
I also like the touch screen. My complaint was when useless screens of information come up and cover the screen you actually chose. In particular is the red light view screen. In my case I have very good far vision driving, but when I look at that view on the screen I can barely see the red light so it is useless to me. I wish I could turn it off permanently. When I was using Nav, a stop was a perfect place to view the screen to confirm direction, but several screens overlay-ed the map, one I was able to close easily, the other I could not figure out how to dismiss before the light went to green.

I like the screens, I just wish I could eliminate some of the stuff that I personally don't need. The red light screen can be disable per trip, but not all the time as an example. Also the interior looks great, but the angle of the screen seems to attract a lot of glare and show fingerprints because of it. I realize I have to live with the physical position, but I hope future updates address concerns and requests from owners.
Hi Old rocker,

You can turn off the traffic light camera so it doesnt keep showing the traffic light view when coming to stop at the light. Its annoying for sure but once I turned it off under driver's assistance, it never came back
Old 01-03-2022, 03:32 PM

Received 154 Likes on 90 Posts
Give me a break. There are a lot of things I do like about the car and there are a few things I do not like about the car.

Already mentioned the things I really do like:

Suspension
Burmeister 4D
seat comfort
massage seats
legroom
ADAS Distronic
voice recognition

cons:
Touchscreen
Touch capacitive controls especially the arrow buttons on the OK button on steering wheel

I will bet you that I am in the majority here.

I am not pre-disposed to anything. I am definitely open minded about wanting to like the car.
Rockland,

You are cool. It takes time to adjust to a new car for sure. I am adjusting with this one compared to the older 2012 A8L but its coming along really nice. I agree with some of your points. You can adjust the touchscreen and the touch button sensitivity and feedback under settings. I have done it and it helps makes them more responsive.
As for voice recognition, does anyone have a list of hey mercedes commands I can practice? I have done a few but still need more. Its working half and half depending on what I ask.
Robb92914 (07-25-2022)
Old 01-03-2022, 03:51 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
E350 S4 Wagon
Then don't lead with negativity next time you come across something you need guidance on how to use properly.
Wow! You seem to be personally offended because someone has criticism about some of the design features on a Mercedes. The reality is that Mercedes DOES make some questionable choices in the designs they create. They are not perfect and when criticism is due, I am sure that their designers and engineers are adult enough to hear them and do what they can to make incremental improvements.
Robb92914 (07-25-2022)
Old 01-03-2022, 03:53 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
E350 S4 Wagon
Wow "SW20S"! You seem to be personally offended because someone has criticism about some of the design features on a Mercedes. The reality is that Mercedes DOES make some questionable choices in the designs they create. They are not perfect and when criticism is due, I am sure that their designers and engineers are adult enough to hear them and do what they can to make incremental improvements.
Dr.M (07-24-2022)
Old 01-03-2022, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Originally Posted by roadventure
Wow! You seem to be personally offended because someone has criticism about some of the design features on a Mercedes. The reality is that Mercedes DOES make some questionable choices in the designs they create. They are not perfect and when criticism is due, I am sure that their designers and engineers are adult enough to hear them and do what they can to make incremental improvements.
I'm not offended at all, I don't even own the car...but I call it like I see it. Of course there are questionable design choices, but little minor things like this are not worth this level of complaining. Its a cupholder...two presses and it comes out. Its also not just this thread with this particular poster, he is always complaining.

Other things like the wiper controls, etc...different carmakers make different design choices. Mercedes is not the only carmaker that puts their wiper controls on the turn signal stalk, and they have been doing this for a really long time. These choices aren't really right or wrong they are just differences between manufacturers. Mercedes has one way of approaching controls, BMW another, Lexus another and so on. When you leave one brand and go to another brand there is always an adjustment period. When I got my 2020 it took me several months to really get comfortable with the car and my enjoyment of it improved a lot after that.

Last edited by SW20S; 01-03-2022 at 05:11 PM.
Martsman (01-03-2022)
Old 01-03-2022, 06:16 PM

Received 48 Likes on 18 Posts
S580
He has been complaining about these cars for months, even before he had it. He has also been boasting about his 10% discount every post he can, knowing no one else has received that kind of discount. Surprised he got the car. My 10 year old son had no problem figuring out how to work the rear seat cup holders. Sell the car and move on.

Last edited by Martsman; 01-03-2022 at 08:19 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Martsman:
ColeBlooded (01-03-2022), js_cls (01-04-2022), rdrtkd (01-03-2022), SW20S (01-03-2022)
Old 01-03-2022, 07:38 PM

Received 396 Likes on 265 Posts
2021 S450 4Matic
Looks like a drama is being developed here. A member criticizes a few things of a car and another member criticizes him.
What a way to start off a new year!?
The following 5 users liked this post by bishop64:
aeggroup (01-04-2022), Dr.M (07-24-2022), MBNUT1 (01-03-2022), Robb92914 (07-25-2022), Rockland (01-03-2022)
Old 01-03-2022, 09:03 PM

Volvo XC90
Originally Posted by Martsman
He has been complaining about these cars for months, even before he had it. He has also been boasting about his 10% discount every post he can, knowing no one else has received that kind of discount. Surprised he got the car. My 10 year old son had no problem figuring out how to work the rear seat cup holders. Sell the car and move on.
I never complained about the car for months, just got it 4 weeks ago and god forbid I said the touchscreen sucks. Cos it does. You have to take your eyes off the road to use it. You guys need to adjust your panties - if anyone here states their feelings about a car they purchased you think it is delegitimization of your purchase - which it is not. I am just stating my experience and my thoughts.

God forbid I repeat something that my insurance selling father once told me, like never buy the first year of a brand new body style like that one guy said. He got his head ripped off here. Okay, just kidding, my father never gave me that advice, but you get my drift.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rockland:
ColeBlooded (01-03-2022), Dr.M (07-24-2022)
Old 01-03-2022, 09:15 PM

Volvo XC90
Originally Posted by Martsman
Sounds like you need to boast about your 10 year old son.
Old 01-03-2022, 09:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 354 Likes on 216 Posts
15 S550 4Matic, 86 560SL
I You have to take your eyes off the road to use it.
This is a big problem. I always thought MB had it right with the W222 and their Comand control of a screen near the windshield. Sure your eyes lose the road but at least it is in your peripheral vision. Unfortunately people lust after the Tesla look and so MB has adapted a clearly less safe system. With the new screen your eyes are entirely away from the road.
Old 01-03-2022, 10:12 PM

Volvo XC90
Originally Posted by cfmistry
This is a big problem. I always thought MB had it right with the W222 and their Comand control of a screen near the windshield. Sure your eyes lose the road but at least it is in your peripheral vision. Unfortunately people lust after the Tesla look and so MB has adapted a clearly less safe system. With the new screen your eyes are entirely away from the road.
The voice recognition system is excellent, however, so I will practice using it for functions that I might otherwise have wanted to use the touchscreen.
Old 01-05-2022, 06:17 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
S550
Learning Curve

The voice recognition system is excellent, however, so I will practice using it for functions that I might otherwise have wanted to use the touchscreen.
Ever hear of that?
Instead of complaining about things you didn't know, and then doubling down on that fact, suck it up and admit you were mistaken about the cupholders. Nothing wrong with saying..."oops". Please do yourself that favor.
SW20S (01-05-2022)
Old 01-05-2022, 06:41 PM

Volvo XC90
Oops
Old 07-24-2022, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB S500, CLS, G63 and Bentley GT, BMW X5
So, on my first road trip and my son asks “where are the cup holders? Please explain how a $146000 car can not have cup holders in the rear seats? Unbelievable?!?
I’m actually really glad you posted this as I had the exact same issue with mine (mind you it’s my 3rd S class since 2012, I’ve had all 3 last generations and 13th Mercedes in general since 2005 and I’ve never seen a more poorly designed model than this 2022 one).

It’s not just the cupholders inconvenience factor of having to press it once, then a second time, and do so halfway just to access a simple thing such as cup holders - there’s a myriad of actual issues/malfunctions mine has that I’ll post about separately not to mix with this thread.

Also I’d like to commend you on your level of patience for politely responding to that individual who doesn’t even own this car yet is on this thread taking up space that we have to waste time and energy scrolling through their unnecessary, condescending and unhelpful comments. I just joined and I am disappointed to see the forum is not better monitored to not allow such people a chance to ruin it for the others who actually ARE interested in having discussion about the thread topic.
Old 07-24-2022, 11:54 PM

Volvo XC90
Originally Posted by Dr.M
I’m actually really glad you posted this as I had the exact same issue with mine (mind you it’s my 3rd S class since 2012, I’ve had all 3 last generations and 13th Mercedes in general since 2005 and I’ve never seen a more poorly designed model than this 2022 one).

It’s not just the cupholders inconvenience factor of having to press it once, then a second time, and do so halfway just to access a simple thing such as cup holders - there’s a myriad of actual issues/malfunctions mine has that I’ll post about separately not to mix with this thread.

Also I’d like to commend you on your level of patience for politely responding to that individual who doesn’t even own this car yet is on this thread taking up space that we have to waste time and energy scrolling through their unnecessary, condescending and unhelpful comments. I just joined and I am disappointed to see the forum is not better monitored to not allow such people a chance to ruin it for the others who actually ARE interested in having discussion about the thread topic.
lol, well I am not an engineer and I don’t read car manuals. I feel silly that I couldn’t figure out the cupholders, but I could not.

i have now had the car for 8 months and have settled into ownership. Some of the things that bother other owners (glare of vents on windows, for example) don’t annoy me, but I still haven’t fallen in love with the touchscreen. It’s still cumbersome for me to use. I am definitely not in love with the car in the way I loved the BMW 760. That car made my blood bump. This car is ok, but not exciting nor user friendly. It is quiet and comfortable like an Archie Bunker chair. I will keep it for a few years, but if and when Alpina makes a new 7 series I might go back to BMW. We will see. I am happy I am trying this brand though. It helps to try new things.
Old 07-25-2022, 12:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB S500, CLS, G63 and Bentley GT, BMW X5
lol, well I am not an engineer and I don’t read car manuals. I feel silly that I couldn’t figure out the cupholders, but I could not.

i have now had the car for 8 months and have settled into ownership. Some of the things that bother other owners (glare of vents on windows, for example) don’t annoy me, but I still haven’t fallen in love with the touchscreen. It’s still cumbersome for me to use. I am definitely not in love with the car in the way I loved the BMW 760. That car made my blood bump. This car is ok, but not exciting nor user friendly. It is quiet and comfortable like an Archie Bunker chair. I will keep it for a few years, but if and when Alpina makes a new 7 series I might go back to BMW. We will see. I am happy I am trying this brand though. It helps to try new things.
Don't worry you’re not alone as nobody reads car manuals for a cupholder lol and apparently every single person I know who has the new S class did not initially figure out independently how to operate the inconvenient cup holders in the back - it should not be that complicated. Whoever I’d texted about this had responded to me saying they’d too messaged someone they know or contacted their sales rep at the dealer to ask about the cup holders. Yikes!

Ah I see you really liked your 7. Well I’ve been an avid, loyal Mercedes driver for the past 17 years and I’ve also had multiple 7 series concurrently and for me nothing ever beat the drive, comfort, and intelligence of MB until this newest S class where they failed in so many ways sadly. From the five people I personally know who have the car only one person likes it so looks like it’s not too uncommon to not be majorly obsessed with this one.

My ventilated seats give off heat after few minutes of being on. The car raises the level on its own when I don’t even touch that feature, when I park the car and get out it’s more than an SUV the gap between the tires and the body of the vehicle. The car rocks back-and-forth when I break, not a smooth break at all (not sure how yours is but 2 others I know have this same issue) apparently it’s a problem with some of these new models. I sure hope they get fixed and this car grows on us!
Old 07-25-2022, 12:43 AM

Volvo XC90
Originally Posted by Dr.M

My ventilated seats give off heat after few minutes of being on. The car raises the level on its own when I don’t even touch that feature
my sunroof and sun shade cover have a mind of its own in my car lol

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: No cup holders in rear