S-Class (W223) 2021 to Present

W223 Owner Surveys: You REALLY want to know???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2024, 03:20 AM

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts
S500 / Db9 / F360 / Range Sport V8
Originally Posted by SW20S
You lost me here lol. If the seat buttons hurt your fingers you need to see a doctor, immediately.
I had exactly the same feeling, those buttons are pressure sensitive and are 3d patterned in a way that it indeed hurts. W222 are way more pleasant (but probably more expensive too)
The following 3 users liked this post by SpookyTheFirst:
aypues (01-04-2024), Streamliner (01-02-2024), superangrypenguin (01-02-2024)
Old 01-02-2024, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,118 Likes on 706 Posts
23 S580 Executive
In practice, they're probably the worst buttons for the purpose I've ever used. Not that there was anything special about all the rest, those cars had buttons, they worked, that's it. This car has buttons that kinda work after some fiddling. You never really become accustomed to them because there is nothing to become accustomed to; there is no tactile response. You push, nothing, you push harder something, oops too much, you push the other way, oops too much back, push again, nothing, push again, ahh, just right. Next time, same thing.

It's a theme I've touched on before: During the testing phases, exactly how many liked the seat buttons? How many thought they functioned correctly? Very few would be my guess. The thing here is that they are not good, they knew it, and they did it anyway. That's the interesting takeaway to me. There are other similar problems with the car they couldn't possibly have not known were problems, but they did it anyway; the doors, for another example.
The following users liked this post:
Streamliner (01-02-2024)
Old 01-02-2024, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,655 Likes on 2,091 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by crabman
In practice, they're probably the worst buttons for the purpose I've ever used. Not that there was anything special about all the rest, those cars had buttons, they worked, that's it. This car has buttons that kinda work after some fiddling. You never really become accustomed to them because there is nothing to become accustomed to; there is no tactile response. You push, nothing, you push harder something, oops too much, you push the other way, oops too much back, push again, nothing, push again, ahh, just right. Next time, same thing.

It's a theme I've touched on before: During the testing phases, exactly how many liked the seat buttons? How many thought they functioned correctly? Very few would be my guess. The thing here is that they are not good, they knew it, and they did it anyway. That's the interesting takeaway to me. There are other similar problems with the car they couldn't possibly have not known were problems, but they did it anyway; the doors, for another example.
Very well said. I believe, that prior to the various models launched for MY21 & later, MB would have tested & reviewed something like these new buttons & switches to the Nth degree and would have rejected them outright. SOMEONE in Stuttgart would have said “these are unacceptable,” and the engineers would have gone back to the drawing board. Unfortunately, along with this switch gear, several other poorly designed elements made their way into these new models, resulting in the mess MB now has on its hands. And, since we know that these new models have a long lead time, from initial concept & design to production, there must have been issues well black in the 20 teens. How difficult can it be, for an engineering juggernaut like MB to design doors that stay open where you want them or switches that let you feel on and off? Car Building 101 and the Class of 2021 FAILED!

Old 01-02-2024, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Streamliner
Very well said. I believe, that prior to the various models launched for MY21 & later, MB would have tested & reviewed something like these new buttons & switches to the Nth degree and would have rejected them outright. SOMEONE in Stuttgart would have said “these are unacceptable,” and the engineers would have gone back to the drawing board. Unfortunately, along with this switch gear, several other poorly designed elements made their way into these new models, resulting in the mess MB now has on its hands. And, since we know that these new models have a long lead time, from initial concept & design to production, there must have been issues well black in the 20 teens. How difficult can it be, for an engineering juggernaut like MB to design doors that stay open where you want them or switches that let you feel on and off? Car Building 101 and the Class of 2021 FAILED!
Unfortunately, I don't believe engineers failed or those buttons were not tested enough, I guess those pressure sensitive buttons are just a bit less expensive, as simple as that...
Old 01-02-2024, 01:00 PM

Received 170 Likes on 134 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by SpookyTheFirst
Unfortunately, I don't believe engineers failed or those buttons were not tested enough, I guess those pressure sensitive buttons are just a bit less expensive, as simple as that...
Actually they are more expensive. MB was asked that by some German reviewers who also didn't like it why they made it like that thinking it's cheaper, but MB told them it is actually more expensive but most customers prefer it that way. I personally don't feel any discomfort using them.
Streamliner (01-02-2024)
Old 01-02-2024, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Dima
Actually they are more expensive. MB was asked that by some German reviewers who also didn't like it why they made it like that thinking it's cheaper, but MB told them it is actually more expensive but most customers prefer it that way. I personally don't feel any discomfort using them.
Then, I am really lost, I hoped I found a rational... I wonder who those customers are and if they actually used these buttons on a daily basis! (and compared to the previous version...)
Old 01-02-2024, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
They don't cause me any pain, they're just finicky. I would need to see the data on customers preferring them, I've never met a real world person that likes them better, they were uniformly panned in reviews, and frankly, I'm doubtful. It's also just the kind of thing an executive would trot out when treading water.

This isn't a callout but I'd have to see compelling data that supported the claim to buy in.
The following 2 users liked this post by crabman:
regancc (01-02-2024), Streamliner (01-02-2024)
Old 01-02-2024, 03:51 PM

AMG
I found some discussion about it, Start at 10 minutes.

The following 2 users liked this post by Dima:
crabman (01-02-2024), Streamliner (01-02-2024)
Old 01-02-2024, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Dima
I found some discussion about it, Start at 10 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf5zHX2hWK4
Very interesting indeed!
Old 01-02-2024, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
Like I said, it's suspect in the extreme. Corporate executives at that level, and doing those kinds of jobs, bleed company blood and spew the company line. Show me the data, I'll happily change my tune if needed.
The following 2 users liked this post by crabman:
regancc (01-02-2024), Streamliner (01-03-2024)
Old 01-02-2024, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,765 Likes on 1,769 Posts
2024 S580
Originally Posted by places
With the amount of MB cars we've owned I can honestly say we've been pretty lucky. Nothing chronic other than a squeak in a 2007 S class that drove me crazy enough to trade it in. All other issues if any, were pretty minor and one offs. It's the newer generation vehicles that just don't instill confidence, not to mention styling is underwhelming and reliability is safe to say at a low point historically due to all the tech and battery issues. For the first time in nearly 30 years I can safely say my next car will not be a Mercedes, nothing really excites.
Mine has been great, but the track record and the stats don't lie. I knew going to MB from Lexus I was taking on way more reliability risk. I've been pleasantly surprised, but if it needed $5k in repairs tomorrow I wouldn't be surprised.

Honestly there really isn't anything out there that excites me at the current time...I like the 223 fine but not enough to upgrade and pay way more than what I have...

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
It's nice to see you fanboys come around years later to the same conclusion I drew when I was in the market for this car.
Sad to see you still don't have anything better to do with your time than troll forums for cars you don't own

And you were never in the market for this car lol

Originally Posted by SpookyTheFirst
I had exactly the same feeling, those buttons are pressure sensitive and are 3d patterned in a way that it indeed hurts. W222 are way more pleasant (but probably more expensive too)
Thats absurd. I prefer the controls on the 222 also, but I have driven a bunch of 223s at this point and the seat controls are fine, if you hurt your fingers you are pressing way too hard. I have had zero issues adjusting the seats. They require only the lightest touch.

What I find frustrating is the desire to make changes for the sake of making changes which don't improve the design or functionality of the car...which is very un-MB like. Examples of this are the door handles and the seat controls...I can't see any way in which either of those design changes improves the car...

Last edited by SW20S; 01-02-2024 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-02-2024, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 242 Likes on 202 Posts
A car

Sad to see you still don't have anything better to do with your time than troll forums for cars you don't own

And you were never in the market for this car lol
It's absolutely incredible how amazing your telepathy skills are! I mean, if you paid attention you would have seen my threads on actually measuring the sound level of the W223 vs the 5LS vs the (last gen) 7, versus, etc.

But you're right, I only own a present gen A8 and a Ghost, so what do I know. Also, if you want to tell me what to do with my time you can pay me my hourly rate otherwise I'll just do what I want to, when I want to.

PS - if you genuinely feel that I'm trolling, then maybe listen to the saying: "don't feed the troll". (insert childish emoticon here). Interesting response though. You're one of the few diehard fanboys left on the W223 forum! Just admit it. The gang now is talking about 'painful' seat controls...

My gosh what did I just read now...

Last edited by superangrypenguin; 01-02-2024 at 09:08 PM.
hyperion667 (01-04-2024)
Old 01-02-2024, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Seriously, come on. Just post on the Audi forums, this is sad. You do the same thing at ClubLexus. Oh you own a Ghost now? Right.

Why would you want to troll forums for cars you don't own when you could be out enjoying your Ghost? Go enjoy it. I'm sure they have forums too, you can go talk about how much smarter you are than everybody else with those folks.

And if you think I'm a 223 fanboy you clearly didn't read what I posted lol

Last edited by SW20S; 01-02-2024 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-02-2024, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 242 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
Seriously, come on. Just post on the Audi forums, this is sad. You do the same thing at ClubLexus. Oh you own a Ghost now? Right.

Why would you want to troll forums for cars you don't own when you could be out enjoying your Ghost? Go enjoy it. I'm sure they have forums too, you can go talk about how much smarter you are than everybody else with those folks.

And if you think I'm a 223 fanboy you clearly didn't read what I posted lol
*Crazy* idea, I was actually looking into buying a present gen facelifted 5LS or W223 in an effort to never own a dishwasher (EV) and to broaden my vehicle inventory...I know, crazy huh? So I researched forums I hadn't read in years and found a person with their 2nd blown LS engine and now this thread. PS - I haven't posted on Clublexus in *years* and short of this thread on MBW, also, in, what, a year?

Your amazing telepathy skills should be put to good use! That can help you win the lottery next time! In any event, maybe, erm, stick to not attacking someone who hasn't posted in years? Happy 2024. Leave the tape measure at the door - it'll help you live longer my 'friend'.

Last edited by superangrypenguin; 01-02-2024 at 09:50 PM.
hyperion667 (01-04-2024)
Old 01-02-2024, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
LOL, you're funny.

Thou doth protest too much...
Old 01-02-2024, 10:06 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,604 Likes on 2,214 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by Streamliner
not difficult for the former, the latter not sure. For the former, you just have to pay more..... in the form of a Maybach: https://mbworld.org/forums/eqs-suv/8...ml#post8900054
Old 01-02-2024, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
I would imagine the refresh W223 will have the option of power doors.
Old 01-03-2024, 01:32 PM

AMG
This is the place to post your comments:
https://www.linkedin.com/posts/dimit...member_desktop
aeggroup (01-03-2024)
Old 01-04-2024, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 748 Likes on 468 Posts
2023 S500
I like my car, which is a far cry from my other Mercedes I fled from. It’s not perfect, but it’s also not tainted with wretched build quality issues. I actually like the look and aesthetics as well. It’s very subtle and not over-the-top strange like the BMW flagship.

I will probably lease again. I have a few more years on my lease so I’m hoping it will be the refresh. I just hope they redo the options offering more choices, get rid of every single capacitive touch button, normal door handles, no run flats and a ZF transmission.
The following 2 users liked this post by Frenetic:
regancc (01-04-2024), Streamliner (01-04-2024)
Old 01-04-2024, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
I like mine too, despite my complaints I don't see anything better to replace it with insofar as a large luxury sedan. BMW had me saying goodbye at hello, I like Audi's general interior aesthetic but it feels dated, and the Panamera isn't really playing this game.

It begs the question, just exactly how bad is something when you can't find anything better?
regancc (01-04-2024)
Old 01-04-2024, 01:00 PM

Received 51 Likes on 20 Posts
2023 S580
I think it boils down to "1st World Problems" and I don't mean that to minimize anyone's negative experiences...because, as you know, I am a noob with MB and this car specifically. But, I have been around the block a few times so I have experience, especially with forums. I participate on all sorts of vehicle forums for the many different types of vehicles I have or have owned in the past. I am a current owner of a '21 Honda Goldwing and it is known to be a notoriously solid machine by owners yet you still see complaints. I think that is the nature of most forums - most owners either are not on forums and don't complain and many (not all, of course) who are on forums are the squeaky wheels. I am sure I will get hell-fire rained down on me for that but it is what I have seen and experienced.

I am looking forward to driving my S and I sincerely hope the problems outlined on this forum and this thread in particular are not indicative of all of the ownership experience. I guess time will tell...
Old 01-04-2024, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
To be fair, there are clearly issues here with this vehicle, I think a lot of the reliability issues though are worked through at this point. Now you're left with design choice issues, and those are subjective.
regancc (01-04-2024)
Old 01-04-2024, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by crabman
I like mine too, despite my complaints I don't see anything better to replace it with insofar as a large luxury sedan. BMW had me saying goodbye at hello, I like Audi's general interior aesthetic but it feels dated, and the Panamera isn't really playing this game.

It begs the question, just exactly how bad is something when you can't find anything better?
In my case, I found something better: a 2020 S560. Sometimes, going backwards can be a plus.
chassis (01-04-2024)
Old 01-04-2024, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
I don't have any interest in any used car, I only buy new cars so for me going backwards would never be an option
Old 01-04-2024, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't have any interest in any used car, I only buy new cars so for me going backwards would never be an option
Thats pretty much been the same with me. However, when you need a car & there is nothing else you want and the best option happens to be a CPO, it can be a great way to go.
aypues (01-04-2024)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: W223 Owner Surveys: You REALLY want to know???