S-Class (W223) 2021 to Present

What’s my car worth?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2022, 04:36 PM

Received 156 Likes on 132 Posts
S560/LS460/Q70L 5.6 AWD
Thank you , very nice compliment, have you ever driven on the Autobahn ? Or do you understand the word ? Obviously not, because at 200 Km/h even talking to the car is not a very good idea.....
Old 09-18-2022, 06:29 AM

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
2021 s580, 2019 s63, 2022 genesis gv70
I have driven on autobahn, but not in Illinois!! What word ????
Old 09-18-2022, 08:09 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,404 Likes on 2,847 Posts
2012 CLS63
The Autobahn, as you know, was for Hitler and his armies........so yeah, it was for a good cause
Old 09-18-2022, 08:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,108 Likes on 700 Posts
23 S580 Executive
If both talking and manually manipulating the screen are a bad idea then wouldn't the entire concept of making whatever change contemplated be a bad idea? If you can't even speak, obviously reaching for a knob would certainly be worse and also out of the question. I'm not seeing why the "ipad" is being called out as bad or unsafe in this context when you can't reach for a knob if it existed or even speaking had been deemed too dangerous.
The following users liked this post:
cheenuabc (09-18-2022)
Old 09-18-2022, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,483 Likes on 980 Posts
No more MB:(
Originally Posted by crabman
If both talking and manually manipulating the screen are a bad idea then wouldn't the entire concept of making whatever change contemplated be a bad idea? If you can't even speak, obviously reaching for a knob would certainly be worse and also out of the question. I'm not seeing why the "ipad" is being called out as bad or unsafe in this context when you can't reach for a knob if it existed or even speaking had been deemed too dangerous.
IMO reaching for switchgear requires memory and not much else. I don't need to look every time I'm engaging a knob or switch, becomes second nature. iPad requires eyes off road to make sure you touch the right area of the screen. Also, I can see for some the iPad is a distraction. Some people don't want to speak to their cars. Siri and I have had our moments
The following 4 users liked this post by places:
MBS63AMG (09-23-2022), Sactownmb (09-19-2022), Streamliner (09-18-2022), tx170754 (09-18-2022)
Old 09-18-2022, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
It's a logical failure. Want and like are different things than the assertion that using the "iPad" or voice is too dangerous at 200 kph. Whether you like it or not voice is less difficult than reaching for a knob which also takes a hand of the wheel. The screen in this case is being called out for this problem but it's then stated that even voice can't be used. If voice can't be used obviously the mid dangerous hands off the wheel to manual hit a switch out knob is off the table as well. So why then are we calling the iPad out in this context?

Now if we're going to state opinions I would prefer a selection of knobs augmenting the screen. I also don't like talking to my car except in a few cases like getting to specific music in my library; its extensive and most easily done with a voice command. My opinion has nothing to do with the logical failure noted above but as we're now throwing them in there you go.
Old 09-18-2022, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It's a logical failure. Want and like are different things than the assertion that using the "iPad" or voice is too dangerous at 200 kph. Whether you like it or not voice is less difficult than reaching for a knob which also takes a hand of the wheel. The screen in this case is being called out for this problem but it's then stated that even voice can't be used. If voice can't be used obviously the mid dangerous hands off the wheel to manual hit a switch out knob is off the table as well. So why then are we calling the iPad out in this context?

Now if we're going to state opinions I would prefer a selection of knobs augmenting the screen. I also don't like talking to my car except in a few cases like getting to specific music in my library; its extensive and most easily done with a voice command. My opinion has nothing to do with the logical failure noted above but as we're now throwing them in there you go.
Well at 200KPH (or any high speed) I doubt anyone is looking at the screen. Furthermore I won't be talking to my car simply because I am not willing to risk the car mishearing my verbal request and making things complicated at high speed.

As for hands off the wheel, people were driving manuals at very high speeds for decades. F1 (and other) drivers use switchgear at much higher and dangerous velocities that we would ever encounter. I have yet to hear a race car driver speak to their car. Let's ask Lewis Hamilton if he would prefer an iPad or verbal com over switchgear.
Streamliner (09-18-2022)
Old 09-18-2022, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
You're not getting me; I also prefer the switch gear. I also am not fond of talking to my car. Like almost everyone that I can recall weighing in on the subject I would prefer the frequent fictions be on switchgear of some sort. The thing is the "iPad" was called out for being too dangerous at that speed. I'm with him on that. Where it went off the tracks is when voice was also proclaimed too dangerous. At that point whether you like either of those options or not you've also removed switchgear because it's certainly no less dangerous than voice. Shouldn't the statement have been that you need to pay attention at that speed rather than fiddle with ancillary fictions when considering that every possible control option has been taken off the table? See if you can't use any of them why are we calling out the screen specifically in that context? Now if you want to beat up the control scheme in general I'll happily join in.
Old 09-18-2022, 12:29 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
I'll bet car companies are dying to put AI in cars so we can talk with them. Think K.I.T.T
Old 09-19-2022, 12:07 AM

Received 340 Likes on 185 Posts
2022 S580
Originally Posted by Streamliner
As many of you know, I have not been happy with my 2022 S580. I’ve determined that there really isn’t anything wrong with it, it's just too tech heavy for this old guy. So, I’m thinking of putting it on the market. If I do, what do we think it might be worth? I know the canned answers such as “whatever someone is willing to pay for it,” and “whatever the market will bear,” but what are your thoughts?

The car is a loaded, Executive Line, with an original MSRP of $153,730.00 and has about 3,500 miles on it. There is not one nick, never smoked in, no pets, as new. Here are the pertinent details:

Stream, now that you’ve repeatedly canvassed a wide range of opinions on your ongoing dislike and valuation of your car…have you finally made a decision? Or is it way more fun to keep on ranting and raving about your never ending gripes with MB and the S580?
Old 09-19-2022, 06:38 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by Bubba1
Stream, now that you’ve repeatedly canvassed a wide range of opinions on your ongoing dislike and valuation of your car…have you finally made a decision? Or is it way more fun to keep on ranting and raving about your never ending gripes with MB and the S580?
Old 09-19-2022, 07:17 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,950 Likes on 3,108 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Bubba1
Exactly. Streamliner wants a Flying Spur, but keeps manufacturing reasons not to get one.

@Streamliner get the Flying Spur.
Old 09-19-2022, 03:20 PM

Received 127 Likes on 85 Posts
E55
He doesn't like the car and not sure he owes a bunch of strangers on an Internet forum and more explanation than that. Everybody is in different places financially and if you can afford to swap why drive something that makes you unhappy??

Obviously try different dealers as far as the tranny fix as I am always shocked how one doesn't find a solution and another can fix it in one visit.

I sold mine to a resale. I listed it on Autotrader and they automatically give your contact and car info to say 5 wholesalers in your area. Most were just bottom feeding with ridiculous offer but two were within 5-8k of what I was asking.

One that was close contacted me and asked what my bottom line was and came within $4k and within an hour I had a check without having to deal with a buyer.

They told me straight out that as long as the car was within recent sales they didn't care about not paying wholesale as they make the money selling loans and insurance policies on everything. Sure enough the car was listed for $4k more which was my asking on their site and sold within a few days.

If it is leased SWAPLEASE is a great site just add incentives and it will go.

I loved my Bentleys and yes they are different but the positives outweighed the minus and now love them.

Good luck and drive what makes you happy!
Old 09-19-2022, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 448 Likes on 357 Posts
2015 CLS 550 2015 ML 400 Previous 2020 GLB 250 2019 A 220 2005 ML 350 1989 300 E 2001 SL 500
Originally Posted by DABRONX
He doesn't like the car and not sure he owes a bunch of strangers on an Internet forum and more explanation than that. Everybody is in different places financially and if you can afford to swap why drive something that makes you unhappy??

Obviously try different dealers as far as the tranny fix as I am always shocked how one doesn't find a solution and another can fix it in one visit.

I sold mine to a resale. I listed it on Autotrader and they automatically give your contact and car info to say 5 wholesalers in your area. Most were just bottom feeding with ridiculous offer but two were within 5-8k of what I was asking.

One that was close contacted me and asked what my bottom line was and came within $4k and within an hour I had a check without having to deal with a buyer.

They told me straight out that as long as the car was within recent sales they didn't care about not paying wholesale as they make the money selling loans and insurance policies on everything. Sure enough the car was listed for $4k more which was my asking on their site and sold within a few days.

I loved my Bentleys and yes they are different but the positives outweighed the minus and now love them.

MBFS no longer allows leases to be transferred.
Old 09-19-2022, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You're not getting me; I also prefer the switch gear. I also am not fond of talking to my car. Like almost everyone that I can recall weighing in on the subject I would prefer the frequent fictions be on switchgear of some sort. The thing is the "iPad" was called out for being too dangerous at that speed. I'm with him on that. Where it went off the tracks is when voice was also proclaimed too dangerous. At that point whether you like either of those options or not you've also removed switchgear because it's certainly no less dangerous than voice. Shouldn't the statement have been that you need to pay attention at that speed rather than fiddle with ancillary fictions when considering that every possible control option has been taken off the table? See if you can't use any of them why are we calling out the screen specifically in that context? Now if you want to beat up the control scheme in general I'll happily join in.
No statistician here, but I have to think margins of error between verbal commands and switchgear is distinguishable. Switchgear will fail you far less than verbal command unit will. Now, when (or if) they perfect verbal commands then perhaps the argument holds water. As for doing anything other than both hands on wheel at high speeds, that depends on driver skill and environment. Some drivers have no business going that fast under any circumstances, others can with ease. Hence manual transmissions. Skill levels vary. Cheers.
Old 09-19-2022, 04:29 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Smile

Originally Posted by places
No statistician here, but I have to think margins of error between verbal commands and switchgear is distinguishable. Switchgear will fail you far less than verbal command unit will. Now, when (or if) they perfect verbal commands then perhaps the argument holds water. As for doing anything other than both hands on wheel at high speeds, that depends on driver skill and environment. Some drivers have no business going that fast under any circumstances, others can with ease. Hence manual transmissions. Skill levels vary. Cheers.
MBS63AMG (09-23-2022)
Old 09-19-2022, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by hyperion667
Somewhere in there I see Space Invaders
hyperion667 (09-19-2022)
Old 09-19-2022, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
Originally Posted by places
Whether you, I, or anyone else likes it had nothing to do with what I said. How well any of these methodologies works has nothing to do with what I said. What I said is that if we're stating working the screen is too DANGEROUS due to the distraction, and voice is too DANGEROUS due to the distraction, then manipulating a switch would also be too DANGEROUS as it can be no less potentially distracting than voice but depending on where the switch was could be more distracting. As all possible methods of interacting with the car outside of telekinesis have been discarded, it's logically fallacious to call out the screen specifically in this context. That's it. Nothing to do with what anyone likes. Nothing to do with what works best.

Again, I agree with most of what you said but none of it had anything to do with what I'm saying. What I'm saying is bytchslap the screen all you want, I'll join in. Complain about the lack of real switches all you want, I'll join in. You just can't call out the screen for something you're saying you can't do any other way either. It's like calling someone out for not being able to deadlift a school bus in a world where no one can deadlift a school bus.

Old 09-20-2022, 11:23 AM

Received 340 Likes on 185 Posts
2022 S580
Originally Posted by DABRONX

If you’re going to post on a public forum then you will undoubtedly get strangers feedback. Otherwise why would you post?
Streamliner has had a ton of experience with MB and has every right to comment on his experience. However, participants on this forum also have a right to put forward comments/suggestions and answer Streams questions.
DABRONX, please don’t try and shut down discussion because of your biases. I too have owned many exotics including Bentley. I thoroughly enjoyed my Bentley but am now thoroughly enjoying my S580, which at its price point, IMHO has no real competition.
The following 4 users liked this post by Bubba1:
chassis (09-20-2022), drose224 (09-20-2022), kenromero (09-25-2022), Sagers62 (09-20-2022)