S-Class (W223) 2021 to Present

So - reluctantly, I test drove the G90 to compare to my S580.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2023, 09:05 AM

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts
2022 s 500 swb
Originally Posted by SW20S
Uh, no. The S Class is a huge soft luxury sedan, AWB or LWB. its competent in handling, surprisingly so actually but its not a drivers car on any level.
Originally Posted by superswiss
I don't think you have any idea of what a driver's car is. The S Class completely isolates the driver from the road and what's going on. That's the opposite of a driver's car.
perhaps I was not clear. I have stated in many posts that i have had several e class cars including one with a V8 .My s500 feels like a larger e class with the features of an sclass. I enjoy driving it daily and rarely have I ever had a passenger in the back seat. It is my daily driver. Its the right size for me. I agree it's not a sports car if thats the definition of a driver's car.
Old 01-20-2023, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,825 Likes on 2,557 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by martinlarose
perhaps I was not clear. I have stated in many posts that i have had several e class cars including one with a V8 .My s500 feels like a larger e class with the features of an sclass. I enjoy driving it daily and rarely have I ever had a passenger in the back seat. It is my daily driver. Its the right size for me. I agree it's not a sports car if thats the definition of a driver's car.
A driver's car doesn't have to be a sports car and to be fair a driver's car is often in the eyes of the beholder and how it makes them feel about the car. But there are certain attributes that make a driver's car. In a driver's car you are connected to the car and the road. There is feedback through the steering and the seat of your pants that tells you what's going on outside. What the grip levels and conditions of the road are, how close you are to the limits of grip and what the front wheels are actually doing, and the throttle response is direct and does exactly what you expect as you step into it and not soft and feathered that you barely get off the ground. The transmission will also have great shifts and give you feedback so you know what gear you are in, whether shifting manually or automatic. There's great communication between the car and the driver. The S Class attempts to create a serene and isolated cabin environment and filters out as much vibration, noise and just described feel that it is in no way a driver's car. For example with this S500 loaner I'm still driving I can't even tell if the engine is on after starting it. Every time I have to double-check that it's actually running.

Last edited by superswiss; 01-20-2023 at 09:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
martinlarose (01-20-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 10:14 AM

2022 s 500 swb
to each there own. My car has the AMG package with digital lights and 20 inch wheels. I couldn't be more pleased with it..
js_cls (01-20-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 10:15 AM

2022 s 500 swb
Originally Posted by Joseph_Elery
I was originally going to buy the SWB but when I saw a blue and a black one with the 19 inch wheels, it immediately turned me off. Initially I thought, I didn't want the unwanted attention and mistaken for a chauffeur hence picking the SWB vs LWB. However, I didn't realize 110mm/4 inches would make a big difference in the way it looks but it does. No offense to all SWB owners but to me, SWB lack the stature of the LWB making it feels like you are looking at an overgrown C-Class. Luckily when I called the dealer to change my order, I had two more days to make changes. I drove both but I wasn't paying attention to its looks when I was test driving and it didn't feel that much different the way it drove so I agree with you in no way it's a driver's car.
To each their own. My car has the amg package with digital lights and 20 inch wheels ...i couldnt be happier
Baloo588 (01-20-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,067 Likes on 674 Posts
23 S580 Executive
I don't see anything wrong with a car built ground up to be comfortable and luxurious. This car isn't trying to pretend to be something it's not and that's a good thing.

Over on the Panamera forum you'll occasionally see guys complain about the stiffer ride, harder shifting, etc. The thing is if you "fixed" that it would take away from what that car is in the same way stiffening the ride here would take away from this cars intended purpose.

I do think the stock throttle mapping and steering effort is gonk with this car.

In comfort the steering seems to just flop the wheels one way or the other, just horrid, it's like the steering wheel is connected with a rubber band. IMO 1977 Chrysler New Yorker is not a steering metric one should aspire to when benchmarking your steering feel but that's this car in its normal mode.

On the throttle mapping it's said it needs to be so stupidly soft for chauffeuring duty. I disagree. In sport it just barely attains the goal of being on the soft end of normal. Any chauffeur that can't drive smoothly with a throttle at the softer end of what's in most cars in the country is not one I'd want to hire. I actually think it makes the car harder to drive smoothly as it sits in it's normal mode.
Old 01-20-2023, 12:53 PM

Received 154 Likes on 130 Posts
S560/LS460/Q70L 5.6 AWD
"What the grip levels and conditions of the road are, how close you are to the limits of grip and what the front wheels are actually doing, and the throttle response is direct and does exactly what you expect as you step into it and not soft and feathered that you barely get off the ground. The transmission will also have great shifts and give you feedback so you know what gear you are in, whether shifting manually or automatic"

That is true for driving on the Autobahn, but here......
Old 01-20-2023, 01:09 PM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
2023 S400D and 2007 C350
To each their own. My car has the amg package with digital lights and 20 inch wheels ...i couldnt be happier
Same here just switched to LWB at the last minute. I’m sure I will regret something whether I chose the LWB or SWB.
martinlarose (01-20-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 01:26 PM

Received 157 Likes on 92 Posts
All Cars Lost To Hurricane Isaac (W124 E420 revived - added 88 Allante 14 S550, 17 S63
How about the view of Kafklatsch (me)
A drivers car is one that allows me to be totally isolated from the road, the outside noise, and the outside world.
I can drive short trips and cross country isolated from the outside world... i love my definition of a drivers car
so my most favorite "drivers car" is an S (non AMG)

Second Place would probay be a full tilt sports car, and not my S AMG nor any sports sedan...
The AMG is Exhilarating.....but its a big heavy machine... i love the rocket drivetrain, but the suspension is not to my liking although i love both overall

oh.... W222's by the way
The following 2 users liked this post by kafklatsch:
martinlarose (01-20-2023), tx170754 (01-20-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,660 Likes on 1,707 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
Totally agree. The length makes a huge impact
Old 01-20-2023, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,825 Likes on 2,557 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by tx170754
"What the grip levels and conditions of the road are, how close you are to the limits of grip and what the front wheels are actually doing, and the throttle response is direct and does exactly what you expect as you step into it and not soft and feathered that you barely get off the ground. The transmission will also have great shifts and give you feedback so you know what gear you are in, whether shifting manually or automatic"

That is true for driving on the Autobahn, but here......
Where's here? I'm assuming Illinois judging from your profile. Agreed, the Midwest is one of the most boring driving places I've been to. I've lived in Chicago for four years. Straight roads and flat as a pancake. Here in Cali we have twisty canyon roads and generally the roads here have curves .

Old 01-20-2023, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,585 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by crabman
I don't see anything wrong with a car built ground up to be comfortable and luxurious. This car isn't trying to pretend to be something it's not and that's a good thing.

Over on the Panamera forum you'll occasionally see guys complain about the stiffer ride, harder shifting, etc. The thing is if you "fixed" that it would take away from what that car is in the same way stiffening the ride here would take away from this cars intended purpose.

I do think the stock throttle mapping and steering effort is gonk with this car.

In comfort the steering seems to just flop the wheels one way or the other, just horrid, it's like the steering wheel is connected with a rubber band. IMO 1977 Chrysler New Yorker is not a steering metric one should aspire to when benchmarking your steering feel but that's this car in its normal mode.

On the throttle mapping it's said it needs to be so stupidly soft for chauffeuring duty. I disagree. In sport it just barely attains the goal of being on the soft end of normal. Any chauffeur that can't drive smoothly with a throttle at the softer end of what's in most cars in the country is not one I'd want to hire. I actually think it makes the car harder to drive smoothly as it sits in it's normal mode.
The throttle mapping and steering is very classically MB, and tuned for extreme ease and comfort. Even my W211 E-Class from 2007 has a very long throttle where most power is made deep in the pedal. I call it the Rolls-Royce effect as I read an article years ago which talked about how a long throttle like that is designed to create an incredibly smooth drive. Coming from a Panamera, which is practically tuned for immediate throttle, I’m sure the experience is more jarring. Same for the steering, S-Class’ typically have soft and aloof steering (especially since EPS), and rear-wheel steering (which is 10-Degrees in your vehicle) also will have a more pronounced effect.