S-Class (W223) 2021 to Present

Least satisfying cars...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2023, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,660 Likes on 1,707 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
A Mercedes dealer is absolutely a luxury experience, at least every one I have ever been in.

I think many of you have driven luxury cars a long time and forget what the experience is like with a mainstream car. I have driven luxury cars for a long time too, but I have always had a mainstream car also. Take my Chrysler in for service and see how you feel about a MB dealer lol

And they do special things for S Class owners too. I dropped off once and they were short on loaners. My service guy was talking to the loaner coordinator and I overheard him tell him that I had an S Class and needed a loaner. They took a new C Class off the lot, scraped the window sticker off, put a tag on it and have it to me. Lexus would never have done that, they would have gotten me a Kia from Enterprise.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (02-12-2023)
Old 02-12-2023, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,067 Likes on 674 Posts
23 S580 Executive
Yes, exactly. The question is, what should reasonably be expected? I'm already on record as being fine with the GLC as a loaner. They hop to when I roll into the dealership; can't ask for more than that anywhere. I don't really have any complaints about my dealership experience. It all seems reasonable.

I do however have an expectation. As an example, if they sent me to Enterprise I would not be happy. That isn't a luxury experience. Not saying I'm right here, not saying my expectations are reasonable, I'm saying I do have them and I don't think I'm wrong to have them.
Old 02-12-2023, 02:09 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,931 Likes on 3,095 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by SW20S
A Mercedes dealer is absolutely a luxury experience, at least every one I have ever been in.

I think many of you have driven luxury cars a long time and forget what the experience is like with a mainstream car. I have driven luxury cars for a long time too, but I have always had a mainstream car also. Take my Chrysler in for service and see how you feel about a MB dealer lol

And they do special things for S Class owners too. I dropped off once and they were short on loaners. My service guy was talking to the loaner coordinator and I overheard him tell him that I had an S Class and needed a loaner. They took a new C Class off the lot, scraped the window sticker off, put a tag on it and have it to me. Lexus would never have done that, they would have gotten me a Kia from Enterprise.
Try a few MB dealers in flyover states, in cities with fewer than 500,000 in the metro. The MB dealer staff float between Dodge and Kia stores owned by the same dealer principal.
Old 02-12-2023, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
No I agree, I want a Mercedes loaner.

There is one dealer here that doesn't do loaners, they send you to Enterprise and they charge for loaners. I will never use them, the loaner is one of the main things I'm paying for when I use the dealer.
Old 02-12-2023, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,241 Likes on 2,018 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
No I agree, I want a Mercedes loaner.

There is one dealer here that doesn't do loaners, they send you to Enterprise and they charge for loaners. I will never use them, the loaner is one of the main things I'm paying for when I use the dealer.
I have never seen a Mercedes dealer with Enterprise rentals as loaners with the exception of the body shop where this is standard practice (some short-term post-COVID car shortage excepted). Our primary MB & BMW dealers have well over a 100 loaners each with very few lower end models. Maybe she GLB but most are GLC/C-Class level.

Maybe it's worth pointing them out to others. MB dealers bank of service revenue and I would only buy a car where I am well taken care during service as well...
Old 02-12-2023, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
Originally Posted by Wolfman
I have never seen a Mercedes dealer with Enterprise rentals as loaners with the exception of the body shop where this is standard practice. Our primary MB & BMW dealers have well over a 100 loaners each with very few lower end models. Maybe she GLB but most are GLC/C-Class level.

Maybe it's worth pointing them out to others. MB dealers bank of service revenue and I would only buy a car where I am well taken care during service as well...
Its Mercedes of Silver Spring in Silver Spring, MD. When scheduling service:

Totally, I would never do business with this dealer.
Old 02-12-2023, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

This is shocking! I thought at least that the rentals were free, even if it was from Enterprise. One time, another MB dealer years ago was short on loaners and offered a rental from Enterprise (also a Mercedes) but that was direct-billed to the dealer.
One of our MB dealers is on the way to the Airport and they offer free Airport parking for as long as you need. They offer shuttle service to the Airport/back and will cover the Uber if they are too busy to pick you up. Meanwhile the car can get serviced if needed but will at least be washed before pickup. We sometimes bought a car there for that level of service. Have parked our cars there for up to 5 weeks a year, at times even one bought elsewhere.

Guess we are spoiled...
chassis (02-12-2023)
Old 02-12-2023, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
Oh yeah! I was shocked too!

Yeah a few times Lexus was out of loaners and they got me a car from enterprise, but they paid for it…

Thats really cool about the airport parking
Old 02-12-2023, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 447 Likes on 357 Posts
2015 CLS 550 2015 ML 400 Previous 2020 GLB 250 2019 A 220 2005 ML 350 1989 300 E 2001 SL 500
Originally Posted by Streamliner
It’s getting to a truly ridiculous point now, with the effect being the continuing dilution of the luxury experience, at least in the USA. You take your $135K++ S Class, Maybach, SL, etc. in for service and there you are in an absolute SEA of vehicles that are comparatively “econoboxes.” If the dealer in question is also a Metris/Sprinter store, you have those commercial vehicles in the mix as well. It seems that if one wants a true luxury experience these days, they need to go with a Bentley, Rolls or possibly even a Porsche to get a reasonably elegant dealer experience.

This is probably the umpteenth time I’ve said this, but it’s time to split the dealerships up: Mercedes-Benz dealerships for perhaps E Class and above, Daimler-Benz dealerships for everything below. Then, we can look forward to seeing the latest “Honda Civic Fighter” at our local DB dealer.
So is it that you don't want to look at the plebs when you service your car? Pehaps your manservant can drop it off for you?
The following 2 users liked this post by mercedesmax:
BenjaminKohl (02-13-2023), CincyMBGuy (02-24-2023)
Old 02-13-2023, 12:56 PM

Received 223 Likes on 132 Posts
S580

I thought dealers were required to provide loaners at least for warranty work. I googled it. It's up to each individual dealer.
Old 02-13-2023, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,825 Likes on 2,557 Posts
2019 C63CS
I agree with @SW20S . Some of you here think because you drive an S Class you are somehow royalty. Not even a Maybach, I might add. I read the posts of some of you talking down on the C Class for example. Did you know that the C63S Coupe Final Edition MSRP is $136k now? An S 580 is not exactly the top of the line. An AMG GT Black Series costs over $350k. Should owners of them request their own dealership as well?

I feel very well treated by my MB dealership as an AMG owner. They apologies every time that they don't have AMG loaners. The last guy saw my work order and was like, oh you are the guy with the C63S coupe, I love that car and he gave me an S Class loaner saying at least that's a bit more luxurious. I hated the car, felt like I just turned 80, but that's another topic.

They always treat me well. My SA respects my standing order not to adjust tire pressure and not wash my car. When I picked it up from service last month he saw me waiting for it and dashed out of his office looking for the guy bringing it up to make sure they are not going to wash it. I mean really, what else do you want? Would I like an AMG loaner as an AMG owner? Sure I would, but hey I take a set of wheels for a few days that I'm not particularly fond of.

Last edited by superswiss; 02-13-2023 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-13-2023, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by superswiss
I agree with @SW20S . Some of you here think because you drive an S Class you are somehow royalty. Not even a Maybach, I might add. I read the post of some of you talking down on the C Class for example. Did you know that the C63S Coupe Final Edition MSRP is $136k now? An S 580 is not exactly the top of the line. An AMG GT Black Series costs over $350k. Should owners of them request their own dealership as well?

I feel very well treat by my MB dealership as an AMG owner. They apologies every time that they don't have AMG loaners. The last guy saw my work order and was like, oh you are the guy with the C63S coupe, I love that car and he gave me an S Class loaner saying at least that's a bit more luxurious. I hated the car, felt like I just turned 80, but that's another topic.

They always treat me well. My SA respects my standing order not to adjust tire pressure and not wash my car. When I picked it up from service last month he saw me waiting for it and dashed out of his office looking for the guy bringing it up to make sure they are not going to wash it. I mean really, what else do you want? Would I like an AMG loaner as an AMG owner? Sure I would, but hey I take a set of wheels for a few days that I'm not particularly fond of.
I feel the same way. We have a great relationship with our SA's and they know our particular preferences. They use masking tape to protect the door sill, put a steering wheel cover on and a plastic seat cover. We have a standing no-wash order as well. Loaners are decent but nothing fantastic but they are always available so the appointments are flexible wether I need one or not.
I also like that we have a dedicated tech that handles all AMG GT models...
Old 02-13-2023, 02:53 PM

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts
Volvo XC90
The world just doesn't work that way. You have one dealership, just treat all the customers well and thats what matters. I find the self importance of some of you guys a little off putting, honestly. I am not so special that I can't sit in a waiting room with people who only spent $60,000 on a Mercedes...and neither are you. This is the kind of attitude that comes with the S Class I don't like.
Totally agree. If I am working with an advisor at a dealership why should I care if someone else bought a 2,3,4 or 5 series; or an A, B, C, or E class. I simply care that I am serviced well, but I would also hope that all buyers are serviced well regardless of what they bought. And if I get a loaner for a few days, I will take whatever is available. I ask for a roomier car cos I am 6’5”, but I can manage for 2-5 days in anything.
Old 02-13-2023, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 479 Likes on 331 Posts
2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
I think the best of all worlds is to deliver the MB products as is but for those who have spent $100K+ for their cars the dealership personnel should give us a better experience DISCREETLY. It should be a personal relationship with the staff at the dealership. Do so in a way that no one notices you are being taken care of in a special way without bringing attention to it. What MB wants to do with their lower priced products is to get those customers to continue buying cars at a higher price point without losing those who are satisfied with the status quo.
chassis (02-13-2023)
Old 02-13-2023, 06:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by MBS63AMG
I think the best of all worlds is to deliver the MB products as is but for those who have spent $100K+ for their cars the dealership personnel should give us a better experience DISCREETLY. It should be a personal relationship with the staff at the dealership. Do so in a way that no one notices you are being taken care of in a special way without bringing attention to it. What MB wants to do with their lower priced products is to get those customers to continue buying cars at a higher price point without losing those who are satisfied with the status quo.
Sounds similar to business class compared to other seating choices on an international flight. Destination arrival is a service all passengers receive. Some get a flat bed and cloth table linens, while others get to sit bolt upright for 9 hours and eat a less attractive meal.
The following 2 users liked this post by chassis:
Mbenz260e (02-13-2023), MBS63AMG (02-13-2023)
Old 02-13-2023, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
In my experience as I posted above, they actually do that already...

You also have to build the right relationship with the dealer. I always ask the sales manager to introduce me to a service advisor so that I can build a relationship with one person. That worked well for me, the issue is now people don't stay around the same job like they used to. Both my salesman and my service advisor are both gone...

Last edited by SW20S; 02-13-2023 at 07:36 PM.
Old 02-13-2023, 07:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Some on this site say Consumer Reports can't be believed. Some say the same about J.D. Power. But what about *** Automotive, the dealer's best retail business partner?

***'s KBB division tells it like it is: MB at the bottom: second place on the least important of 12 characteristics important to buyers.
https://www.coxautoinc.com/market-in...report-luxury/

Old 02-13-2023, 08:51 PM

Received 396 Likes on 265 Posts
2021 S450 4Matic
Is it or is it not this dealership experience being a bit blown out of proportion? I mean, how often do you guys bring your S-Class (or other Class) in for service?
If it is on a weekly or even monthly basis, then I think this should be taken more seriously.

But, once a year (A Service or B Service) is the norm, unless you have other 'problems'.
Frankly, one visit per year (or twice the most) is my experience for the past many years. And I came to know my SA not because I see her on a weekly or monthly basis but because I have met her since the W221 years.

Anyway, I read many posts above and comparing members' experience of MB dealership can be amusing.
One member (I think it is member @SW20S ) drives an S-Class and got C-Class loaners while another member (do not remember the name and am too lazy to go back reading the posts) drives a C-Class and got S-Class loaners.

Last edited by bishop64; 02-13-2023 at 09:08 PM.
Old 02-13-2023, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,067 Likes on 674 Posts
23 S580 Executive
Lol My dealer is any loaner you want as long as it's a lightly optioned GLC.

Porsche dealers I've used have went Cayenne or Macans. Usually. If you've bought a few you can normally talk them into something interesting; I sampled a Panamera hybrid and a Taycan that way. I actually like the Macan and used to request them before they starting getting the 4 cylinder loaners. The 4 isn't terrible but the 6 is a lot better.

When the Macan EV hits I might pick one up for slogging about town.
Old 02-13-2023, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by bishop64
One member (I think it is member @SW20S ) drives an S-Class and got C-Class loaners while another member (do not remember the name and am too lazy to go back reading the posts) drives a C-Class and got S-Class loaners.
That was me with the C Class, but we are talking fully loaded AMG C63S Coupe with six figure MSRP. Pretty sure they are not gonna give out S Classes if you roll in in a C 300. I'd take pretty much any AMG over an S Class, unless we are talking S63 perhaps. Very different level of cars. You know, unless the car has an AMG, Maybach or soon Mythos badge, regular MBs are pretty mainstream. You can walk into an MB dealership even now with the ongoing shortages and buy an S Class off the lot if you have the money. My dealer has several in inventory. You don't do that with an AMG or Maybach. Much much rarer, even a C Class AMG. People don't exactly turn heads for an S Class, but they do for proper AMGs, not 43s and 53s.

Last edited by superswiss; 02-13-2023 at 11:56 PM.
Old 02-14-2023, 12:33 AM

Received 396 Likes on 265 Posts
2021 S450 4Matic
Originally Posted by superswiss
That was me with the C Class, but we are talking fully loaded AMG C63S Coupe with six figure MSRP. Pretty sure they are not gonna give out S Classes if you roll in in a C 300. I'd take pretty much any AMG over an S Class, unless we are talking S63 perhaps. Very different level of cars. You know, unless the car has an AMG, Maybach or soon Mythos badge, regular MBs are pretty mainstream. You can walk into an MB dealership even now with the ongoing shortages and buy an S Class off the lot if you have the money. My dealer has several in inventory. You don't do that with an AMG or Maybach. Much much rarer, even a C Class AMG. People don't exactly turn heads for an S Class, but they do for proper AMGs, not 43s and 53s.
I am a little confused about your take on this ''royalty treatment'' thing by a dealer.

On one hand, if I understood accurately, I think you do not agree that people should be treated as a royalty due to a higher priced S-Class ownership.
(This is also my opinion, ie S-Class owners and everyone else eat the same sandwiches and donuts in the lounge.)

But, on the other hand, your dealership gave you royalty treatment (due to a higher priced AMG C-Class) which you apparently enjoyed.

What gives?
Old 02-14-2023, 12:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by bishop64
I am a little confused about your take on this ''royalty treatment'' thing by a dealer.

On one hand, if I understood accurately, I think you do not agree that people should be treated as a royalty due to a higher priced S-Class ownership.
(This is also my opinion, ie S-Class owners and everyone else eat the same sandwiches and donuts in the lounge.)

But, on the other hand, your dealership gave you royalty treatment (due to a higher priced AMG C-Class) which you apparently enjoyed.

What gives?
What I don't agree with is the splitting of dealerships by classes as was proposed above. What I and others have argued is that everybody gets common courtesy at an MB dealership, at least in my experience, but customers with higher end models do get perks that those with lower end models don't get. It seems some here don't want their S Class to be worked on by the same technicians that work on A, B and C Classes like an S Class is somehow fundamentally different. Dealerships do have AMG technicians, though, because AMGs are in fact different from the regular models and we do pay higher service prices for the privilege. Many AMG specific parts, body panels, specialized handbuilt engines, specialized transmissions etc. that are not found in the regular models they are based on. Wanna know what a brake job costs on an AMG? Not to mention that brakes on an AMG last maybe 18k miles, so by the time your S Class needs a brake job I've done probably about four.

If anything I'd like AMG separated from Mercedes-Benz, not just for service reasons, but also so they are not subject to the same strict emissions regulations as the MB models are due to the high volume of cars that MB as a whole sells. Internally, Mercedes-Benz is already structured like that. Mercedes-Benz has the Top End Vehicle group which is made up of AMG, Maybach and G-Class. Michael Schiebe is gonna be the new head of the group. I hate to disappoint you, but even MB doesn't include the S Class in the Top End Vehicle group unless it has an AMG or Maybach badge. The regular S Class is in the same group as the regular A, B, C and E classes. So if they wanted to differentiate the dealership experience, they would separate AMG, Maybach and G Class into higher end dealerships, but the regular S Class would still be serviced by the normal MB dealerships just perhaps with similar perks as today.

Last edited by superswiss; 02-14-2023 at 02:31 AM.
Old 02-14-2023, 02:12 AM

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
1999 SL500, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 1969 Dodge D-200, 1970 Dodge D-100, 1970 Chrysler Newport
I must REALLY be a bottom feeder. I service my own. But I've never thought I was so "special" that I couldn't get my hands dirty. I have a forty by sixty foot garage with a car lift in it. Works well for my collection of classics. The customer lounge is nice. Everything from fine wines to beer. I also have my choice of at least four very nice "loaner vehicles".

I should however mention that the nearest MB dealer is 300 miles away.

I guess my main message is get over yourselves.

Last edited by A1H2O4U; 02-23-2023 at 10:29 AM.
chassis (02-14-2023)
Old 02-14-2023, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 473 Likes on 350 Posts
2014 Mercedes E350 4matic Wagon, 2018 Fiat 124 Spyder Lusso manual, 2005 Acura TSX manual
Originally Posted by chassis
Some on this site say Consumer Reports can't be believed. Some say the same about J.D. Power. But what about *** Automotive, the dealer's best retail business partner?

***'s KBB division tells it like it is: MB at the bottom: second place on the least important of 12 characteristics important to buyers.
https://www.coxautoinc.com/market-in...report-luxury/

Lmao, I'll admit I'm not a fan of Lexus products but I find it almost amusing to see them ranked so high on safety, technology and interior layout. I also find Genesis's rugedness funny, as well as tesla ranking so high for sophistication.
The following 2 users liked this post by BenjaminKohl:
chassis (02-14-2023), crabman (02-14-2023)
Old 02-14-2023, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

This makes no sense to me. A customer is a customer and it's up to the dealer to treat everyone well, wether they buy a used S-Class for $40k or a new GLC43 for $70k or a Mercedes-branded mug for that matter. Chances are the GLC customer will be the more profitable one over time anyways.
Not that $100k is that much for a car anymore.

Last edited by Wolfman; 02-14-2023 at 11:22 AM.
chassis (02-14-2023)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Least satisfying cars...