Absence makes the heart grow fonder

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2023, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,769 Likes on 1,772 Posts
2024 S580
Originally Posted by Peter;[url=tel:8789342
8789342[/url]]You are funny, Crabman! What you write, resonates for me. I’ve mostly loved my S class vehicles thru the years….but there is a certain “tension” in driving them….different from other models. Does this emanate from “what will happen next” or a certain Adrenalin rush of sorts? My other vehicle is the new 2023 RX350h….which does everything exceptionally well….and I have a high level of “trust” when driving. Does it have “it” factor? One big “no.” But then again do I really need the tension of having a simple flat tire and hearing that my S will need to be at the dealership from a Thursday to a Tuesday….no loan car provided….plus the service department makes it feel like a favor to get this done? It’s 2023, I’m really old now…and I’d like to say I’m over it.
Im surprised you feel this way. I had 7 Lexuses, and I find the Mercedes dealers here as good or better. I get loaners like I always did with Lexus. I would never take any car to the dealer to deal with a tire issue. Dealers do take a lot longer to do work than Lexus, that is accurate.

Im surprised that ownership of my S is way more like owning a Lexus than I thought it would be.

Originally Posted by crabman;[url=tel:8789325
8789325[/url]]Right on! It's hard to say and make it come out right because it sounds like old man condescension: You have an ok income for long enough, start getting nicer stuff, and it eventually becomes the new normal. Speaking for myself I had honed in the problems way more than I should have and forgot why I decided to order one.

In any event, back in the US. Now you can go to a restaurant an order an entrée that will feed 3 men and a boy. Yay. Because I know you were missing that. lol
This is absolutely the truth! I love getting back in my S after having driven the Pacifica on a long trip.
Old 06-04-2023, 02:32 PM

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts
‘22 S500
SW20S….good information and good to hear. I think I need a more responsive dealership other than Mercedes of Palm Springs. I really thought it best to pay the inflated cost when servicing the tires….since there are a few sensors that require attention.
Old 06-04-2023, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Originally Posted by Peter
SW20S….good information and good to hear. I think I need a more responsive dealership other than Mercedes of Palm Springs. I really thought it best to pay the inflated cost when servicing the tires….since there are a few sensors that require attention.
I have had two sets of tires put on mine from TireRack installed by a private shop and have had no issues. Nothing unique about the TPMS in the MB
Old 06-04-2023, 05:26 PM

Received 156 Likes on 132 Posts
S560/LS460/Q70L 5.6 AWD
Originally Posted by SW20S
Im surprised you feel this way. I had 7 Lexuses, and I find the Mercedes dealers here as good or better. I get loaners like I always did with Lexus. I would never take any car to the dealer to deal with a tire issue. Dealers do take a lot longer to do work than Lexus, that is accurate.

Im surprised that ownership of my S is way more like owning a Lexus than I thought it would be.

This is absolutely the truth! I love getting back in my S after having driven the Pacifica on a long trip.
You're really a lucky guy, here when I need a Lexus appointment I have it the next day and they ask me if I need a loaner ! When I need a Mercedes appointment the sooner I can get it is one month, yes it is not a typo, and no loaner....And then I get texts about being nice with them when Mercedes sends a survey !
As mentioned in my other posts a month ago I have scheduled an oil change and a check on my inside cab rattles, so I'm showing there and they did not know nothing about the oil change and after a couple of hours waiting they say that in order to eventually investigate the rattles they need to keep the car for a full day to start disassembling the dash, doors etc.....obviously not before another month !
I'm in between two Mercedes dealerships, each 90 miles away (and I don't live in a rural area ) no comments about the other one, which is way worse, so Chicago is probably my best bet, 150 miles away. Probably my wife will be in heaven, so she can do some shopping while servicing my car....
And, believe it or not, the Lexus dealership is part of the same group as the worse Mercedes dealership...had a conversation the other day with the Lexus GM, he didn't even know the name of the Mercedes GM, they're less than a mile away one from the other.....
Old 06-04-2023, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Sounds like the difference is in competition. There are 6 MB dealers here within a 30 mile radius.

Last edited by SW20S; 06-04-2023 at 07:39 PM.
Old 06-04-2023, 05:48 PM

Received 156 Likes on 132 Posts
S560/LS460/Q70L 5.6 AWD
Yeah, probably, and by the way there is a recall, at least on my 2018 S560, a braided low pressure fuel line, which they did it, easy money !
Old 06-04-2023, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Yep, had that done on mine too. With a loaner!