S-Class (W223) 2021 to Present

I drove a new BMW I7 and…….

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2024 | 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, 2024 BMW I7 xDrive60
Originally Posted by Frenetic
How’s the Bowers and Wilkins vs the 4D Burmester? Actually, I can’t remember if you had the 4D. Maybe that was Crabman. How is it compared to the 4D or 3D Burmester?
I did have the 3D—which was FABULOUS—in my first 2020 S560 and the 4D—which was MAGNIFICENT—in my 2022 S580. There are SO many settings for this B&W system, that I have had no time to fool with it yet. Stay tuned.

Last edited by Streamliner; 10-12-2024 at 11:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Frenetic (10-12-2024)
Old 10-12-2024 | 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Glad you like it, and cool they laminated the window sticker.
Old 10-12-2024 | 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
Not sure it's really more settings than the 4D? Certainly it's adjustable, in any event. You'll find a few threads over in BMW land that cover adjusting it, I suspect that you'll find a place you're happy with after some futzing about.

Slightly tangential; I'd create a sound shortcut. You'll be fiddling for a while and it will make it easier to access on the go. Shortcuts can be set by long-pressing most menu commands if you haven't got to it yet. I ended up leaving the shortcut because I switch depending on whether I'm doing ATMOS or stereo.
SW20S (10-12-2024)
Old 10-12-2024 | 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Current/Last 5-years: GLS,X5,Tesla,Accord; Sold:S560;S550,2x X7; X5;BMW 530e;Lincoln Navigator;LS460
Originally Posted by SW20S
Glad you like it, and cool they laminated the window sticker.
yeah I was thinking the same thing- I never got that treatment before lol despite buying several new bmws from 3 different dealers in the past decade. I wonder if it’s a lease thing cause I never leases, or a special Streamliner thing ; )
Old 10-12-2024 | 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 S500
The base 3D Burmester is the best car stereo I’ve personally heard, better than Audi’s high-end B&O system with the retracting tweeters. It says a lot about what Mercedes was able to accomplish with the base 3D imo. If I get another S Class, I’m definitely getting the 4D.
The following 3 users liked this post by Frenetic:
Bubba1 (10-13-2024), crabman (10-12-2024), S_W222 (10-12-2024)
Old 10-12-2024 | 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
Good call; it's the best I've had.
S_W222 (10-12-2024)
Old 10-12-2024 | 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Originally Posted by S_W222
yeah I was thinking the same thing- I never got that treatment before lol despite buying several new bmws from 3 different dealers in the past decade. I wonder if it’s a lease thing cause I never leases, or a special Streamliner thing ; )
It’s the least they could do after they made him wait 2 months while it sat at the VDC lol

Ive never had a dealer do that either and I always lease
S_W222 (10-12-2024)
Old 10-12-2024 | 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
I don't want to give it away, I'll say only that it was the first car with idrive, some years ago. Mrs Crab ordered this car, we went to pick it up, dealership experience was unremarkable. That is exactly the way I like it.

Not so many minutes later we were on I-5 North headed up to the Whidbey house, she was quite happy, intoxicated with that new car buzz. Of a sudden she was in a panic; she had lost steering: and we were veering into the next lane over, but as fortune would have it we went off the road at very slight angle and simply ended up along side a noise abatement structure on the side of the freeway.

We did not wait long in the aftermath; in less than a day they told us they wanted the car down in the VPC, and they had a team coming over from the old country to examine it. They grabbed another, which was on a boat coming over, and she got that one a few weeks later.

This is all a long way of saying, when we picked up the second, they took a picture and eventually sent it to us framed. It was a nice touch, and honestly, even a cranky old ******* like me couldn't complain about the way they handled the whole thing.

One other surprise that comes to mind: I had picked up an F-Type right before I was headed across the pond, a matter of the way the timing worked out with my order. Just before I got home my mail service told me I had to come get my mail, there was an issue. It turned out they had sent me chocolate covered strawberries, which at that point had become a liquid best left undescribed.

I'm trying to remember which forum I was on where they had a delivery thread going. There were quite a number of wow style things that folks related; both good and bad. It would be a fun thread here.
Old 10-13-2024 | 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My only complaint is that they didn’t really clean the car as they should have after it sat so long, especially the glass. I’ve got an appointment on Monday morning so they can attend to that, while I sign a few more papers regarding the Ultimate Care+ pkg. they say I didn’t pay for, but I showed them why it should have been included. They are biting the bullet and giving it to me.

Drove the car a bit more today, got a few items adjusted, the audio is sounding amazing and the seats are absolutely out of this world comfortable. The massage feature truly puts the MB systems to shame. The ingress/egress is nice & easy as well. Interior storage space is ridiculously limited. No eyeglasses storage compartment. Tomorrow, I’ll try my first shot at charging for free at an Electrify America station, just to see how it goes. So far, I’m very pleased with the car.

The following 5 users liked this post by Streamliner:
declo2000 (10-14-2024), MBNUT1 (10-13-2024), NbyNW (10-14-2024), QuadBenz (10-14-2024)
Old 10-13-2024 | 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I wanted to once again thank member CSLA for taking the time to school me on local BMW dealers and hooking me up with a salesman that ended up getting me a great deal, SIGNIFICANTLY better than anything I had put together at the time. Thanks friend!
The following 2 users liked this post by Streamliner:
aypues (10-14-2024), QuadBenz (10-14-2024)
Old 10-13-2024 | 01:38 AM

W210 E55, BMW Individual 7
Originally Posted by Streamliner
I wanted to once again thank member CSLA for taking the time to school me on local BMW dealers and hooking me up with a salesman that ended up getting me a great deal, SIGNIFICANTLY better than anything I had put together at the time. Thanks friend!

Stream! Don’t forget, I also got you to cancel your first eDrive50 order because of the lack of autobahn package and climate comfort laminated double pane glass 😉

Truly, it’s a small token for the years of assistance and guidance you’ve given everyone on here. I hope you enjoy your new car in good health and I’m tickled to hear that the dealership experience was both commensurate with the price point as well as an exceptional deal once everything was sorted out with the stop sale. Quite the opposite scenario of when you were taking delivery of that S580.

How are you enjoying the power doors? A cool trick is that you can close all open doors by holding the bmw button on the key fob as well as opening them when approaching the vehicle with the phone app.

The bowers and wilkens 4D is a step above every other bmw audio system besides the high end in the ix which it shares components with. I really enjoy the seat resonators as well as the clarity with the diamond tweeters, and the capacity to take calls with the headrest speakers in the drivers seat while allowing the rest of the car to continue to enjoy their music.

@Streamliner drumroll… tell us about what you think about the ride and handling and please compare with eABC in W223, MBC in W222, and ABC in W221

PS we need pics! The motorcycle trick to gain bmw loyalty has me floored 👏
The following 2 users liked this post by CSLA:
aypues (10-14-2024), Streamliner (10-13-2024)
Old 10-13-2024 | 07:53 AM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
My only complaint is that they didn’t really clean the car as they should have after it sat so long, especially the glass. I’ve got an appointment on Monday morning so they can attend to that, while I sign a few more papers regarding the Ultimate Care+ pkg. they say I didn’t pay for, but I showed them why it should have been included. They are biting the bullet and giving it to me.

Drove the car a bit more today, got a few items adjusted, the audio is sounding amazing and the seats are absolutely out of this world comfortable. The massage feature truly puts the MB systems to shame. The ingress/egress is nice & easy as well. Interior storage space is ridiculously limited. No eyeglasses storage compartment. Tomorrow, I’ll try my first shot at charging for free at an Electrify America station, just to see how it goes. So far, I’m very pleased with the car.
Originally Posted by CSLA
Stream! Don’t forget, I also got you to cancel your first eDrive50 order because of the lack of autobahn package and climate comfort laminated double pane glass 😉

Truly, it’s a small token for the years of assistance and guidance you’ve given everyone on here. I hope you enjoy your new car in good health and I’m tickled to hear that the dealership experience was both commensurate with the price point as well as an exceptional deal once everything was sorted out with the stop sale. Quite the opposite scenario of when you were taking delivery of that S580.

How are you enjoying the power doors? A cool trick is that you can close all open doors by holding the bmw button on the key fob as well as opening them when approaching the vehicle with the phone app.

The bowers and wilkens 4D is a step above every other bmw audio system besides the high end in the ix which it shares components with. I really enjoy the seat resonators as well as the clarity with the diamond tweeters, and the capacity to take calls with the headrest speakers in the drivers seat while allowing the rest of the car to continue to enjoy their music.

@Streamliner drumroll… tell us about what you think about the ride and handling and please compare with eABC in W223, MBC in W222, and ABC in W221

I just want to once again congrats you OP for finally getting something you like again and enjoy, after going through the ordeal and pain and suffering you had with the lemons, you deserved better.

I want to say thank you to forum member CSLA as well for making our fellow forum member streamliner happy again by offering the assistance.

Congrats again forum member streamliner to your first electric car, I am glad to hear that it works for your uses and purposes.

Happy motoring folks : )

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 10-13-2024 at 07:54 AM.
Streamliner (10-13-2024)
Old 10-13-2024 | 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CSLA

Yes, going with the xDrive60 over the eDrive50 was indeed the right move and the Autobahn Pkg. appears to be worth its weight in gold! The car is just SO buttoned down. It has amazing ride quality, but still handles like a BMW, very nimble for such a large, heavy car. I need more time in it before really comparing it to ABC & MBC. As for EABC, there is NO comparison and my personal feeling is that system will go down as one of MB’s utter failures.

The I7 is so quiet, that I keep hearing the soles of my shoes as they move from the accelerator pedal to the brake pedal! The plushness of the Full Marino interior is very nice, but I must say that I am not thrilled with the massive, laser cut speaker grilles in the doors. Too much metal where I would have preferred more leather, but it is what it is. My very first thoughts—from way before I ever thought I might go with a 7–on the faceted glass seat controls on the door and the faceted lighting strip across the dash are still the same: I feel that they are gaudy doo-dads that do not belong in any German car, let alone in The Ultimate Driving Machine. I hope those things disappear or are at least refined in the 2026 refresh. I will say that I much preferred the way the ambient lighting in the W223 was concealed—much more tasteful in my opinion.

Anyway, enough for now. Need to figure out how to charge the car today!
MBNUT1 (10-13-2024), places (10-15-2024)
Old 10-13-2024 | 10:44 AM
Out Of Control!!

Yes, going with the xDrive60 over the eDrive50 was indeed the right move and the Autobahn Pkg. appears to be worth its weight in gold! The car is just SO buttoned down. It has amazing ride quality, but still handles like a BMW, very nimble for such a large, heavy car. I need more time in it before really comparing it to ABC & MBC. As for EABC, there is NO comparison and my personal feeling is that system will go down as one of MB’s utter failures.

The I7 is so quiet, that I keep hearing the soles of my shoes as they move from the accelerator pedal to the brake pedal! The plushness of the Full Marino interior is very nice, but I must say that I am not thrilled with the massive, laser cut speaker grilles in the doors. Too much metal where I would have preferred more leather, but it is what it is. My very first thoughts—from way before I ever thought I might go with a 7–on the faceted glass seat controls on the door and the faceted lighting strip across the dash are still the same: I feel that they are gaudy doo-dads that do not belong in any German car, let alone in The Ultimate Driving Machine. I hope those things disappear or are at least refined in the 2026 refresh. I will say that I much preferred the way the ambient lighting in the W223 was concealed—much more tasteful in my opinion.

Anyway, enough for now. Need to figure out how to charge the car today!
We certainly came a long way when we need to complain about too much metal that wasn't even a conversation in the W223 with all the piano gloss plastic.
Old 10-13-2024 | 06:33 PM

2013 ML350, 2019 S560
Pictures, please?
Old 10-13-2024 | 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by blackbullit
Pictures, please?
Coming soon!
aypues (10-14-2024), blackbullit (10-13-2024)
Old 10-13-2024 | 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
We certainly came a long way when we need to complain about too much metal that wasn't even a conversation in the W223 with all the piano gloss plastic.
During my test drive, I was looking at the plastic, faceted light bar on the dash, in the area to the left of the steering wheel. I was stopped at a red light and I noticed a bit of a smudge on the clear plastic. So, I went to sort of rub it off with my thumb and my door opened! It was smudged as that is one of the buttons used to automatically open the door! Not a great place for it and the marking easily disappears with a smudge or two. My wife has trouble seeing her button.

Without a doubt, probably “THE” most ridiculous thing about the car is the rear window shade. Due to the optional, fold down theater screen in the back seat—which I DO NOT HAVE—they made the shade absolutely OPAQUE! You cannot see out the back window when it is in place. Unfortunately, they penalize those who did not order the theater screen by giving those customers the same opaque shade, which I find to be just NUTS! I had the sun shade raised in my S Class sedans 90% of the time, but the one in the BMW is absolutely worthless to me. Oh well.
Old 10-13-2024 | 06:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

During my test drive, I was looking at the plastic, faceted light bar on the dash, in the area to the left of the steering wheel. I was stopped at a red light and I noticed a bit of a smudge on the clear plastic. So, I went to sort of rub it off with my thumb and my door opened! It was smudged as that is one of the buttons used to automatically open the door! Not a great place for it and the marking easily disappears with a smudge or two. My wife has trouble seeing her button.

Without a doubt, probably “THE” most ridiculous thing about the car is the rear window shade. Due to the optional, fold down theater screen in the back seat—which I DO NOT HAVE—they made the shade absolutely OPAQUE! You cannot see out the back window when it is in place. Unfortunately, they penalize those who did not order the theater screen by giving those customers the same opaque shade, which I find to be just NUTS! I had the sun shade raised in my S Class sedans 90% of the time, but the one in the BMW is absolutely worthless to me. Oh well.
Hopefully those are the only things you end up hating.
Old 10-13-2024 | 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLE 580
they made the shade absolutely OPAQUE! You cannot see out the back window when it is in place.
Just curious, does it at least have a rear view mirror video camera for that situation?
aypues (10-14-2024)
Old 10-14-2024 | 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by wildta
Just curious, does it at least have a rear view mirror video camera for that situation?
Nope. I believe that will be part of the 2026 refresh.
Old 10-14-2024 | 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Went back to the dealer this morning. They reworked the contract to give me the $850.00 BMW Ultimate Care+ Package. This will cover service for 3 years or 36K miles, including brake pads, which may be an issue with this extremely heavy car. I actually did NOT pay for this, but the way the BMW “Build” site works, I showed them why I had expected it to be included and they agreed & made the accommodation.

They were also to give the car a bit of detailing, as the interior glass was filthy, from baking in the summer sun for two months, due to the Stop-Sale. In addition, prior to me seeing the car on Friday morning, someone operated the windshield wipers and possibly the washers, as there were water spots at either end of the windshield. As I drove home the day of delivery, I headed into the lowering sun and I could see what appeared to be an “arc” on the windshield, again from someone running the wipers. I emailed the salesman when I got home and brought this to his attention.

This morning, after they supposedly “detailed” the car, sure enough, you could easily see the arc, as it is a scratch in the windshield. I showed the salesman and this is getting bumped up to management. Looks like a new windshield will be in order. The “detailing” appears to have been an exterior wash, as the rear window is still filthy. I wonder if these guys have any idea who they are dealing with?
QuadBenz (10-16-2024)
Old 10-14-2024 | 04:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

Went back to the dealer this morning. They reworked the contract to give me the $850.00 BMW Ultimate Care+ Package. This will cover service for 3 years or 36K miles, including brake pads, which may be an issue with this extremely heavy car. I actually did NOT pay for this, but the way the BMW “Build” site works, I showed them why I had expected it to be included and they agreed & made the accommodation.

They were also to give the car a bit of detailing, as the interior glass was filthy, from baking in the summer sun for two months, due to the Stop-Sale. In addition, prior to me seeing the car on Friday morning, someone operated the windshield wipers and possibly the washers, as there were water spots at either end of the windshield. As I drove home the day of delivery, I headed into the lowering sun and I could see what appeared to be an “arc” on the windshield, again from someone running the wipers. I emailed the salesman when I got home and brought this to his attention.

This morning, after they supposedly “detailed” the car, sure enough, you could easily see the arc, as it is a scratch in the windshield. I showed the salesman and this is getting bumped up to management. Looks like a new windshield will be in order. The “detailing” appears to have been an exterior wash, as the rear window is still filthy. I wonder if these guys have any idea who they are dealing with?
Yikes, sounds like they messed up and they will get in trouble soon
Old 10-14-2024 | 04:10 PM

S560/LS460/Q70L 5.6 AWD
Stream, detailing is really not a big deal, they probably can handle it but a new windshield to a brand new car ?
Old 10-14-2024 | 04:33 PM

W210 E55, BMW Individual 7

Stream, how visible are these lines? It may just need a clay and polish from a professional detailer. A new windshield is always my biggest fear due to the lack of factory tolerances on the dealer service level.

You’re leasing the car for three years. If it’s tolerable maybe they can apply some customer good will towards your lease payments and you can enjoy a factory silent car.

The following 2 users liked this post by CSLA:
aypues (10-14-2024), crabman (10-14-2024)
Old 10-14-2024 | 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
Agree, if they can buff it out, I would find that far preferable to the windshield lottery: You know, leaks, squeaks, etc.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I drove a new BMW I7 and…….