S-Class (W223) 2021 to Present

Soft close door stopped working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2023, 01:30 AM

Received 124 Likes on 84 Posts
S450 4Matic
Originally Posted by Sleeper Benz
Note: there was alot more resistance to pulling the handle at this point. Pulled hard on the handle a few more times and the driver door finally opened.
You might want to take your car to the dealership, and fix that 'additional resistance', sooner, rather than later.

My driver side door handle exhibited the exact same behaviour as yours. It used to pop open very easily, but after my soft close broke down, it became much heavier, requiring a lot more force to pull open.

I didn't think much of it, and continued to use the car normally, for perhaps a few weeks. But then the problem escalated, and my driver side handle got outright 'stuck' in its little cave, unable to come out. See this video below.

The door handle mechanism seems very delicate and problem-prone this generation. So best to get yours fixed right now, lest they turn into bigger headaches down the road.
Old 07-15-2023, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,665 Likes on 2,099 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by rw594
You might want to take your car to the dealership, and fix that 'additional resistance', sooner, rather than later.

My driver side door handle exhibited the exact same behaviour as yours. It used to pop open very easily, but after my soft close broke down, it became much heavier, requiring a lot more force to pull open.

I didn't think much of it, and continued to use the car normally, for perhaps a few weeks. But then the problem escalated, and my driver side handle got outright 'stuck' in its little cave, unable to come out. See this video below.

See this video.

The door handle mechanism seems very delicate and problem-prone this generation. So best to get yours fixed right now, lest they turn into bigger headaches down the road.
Mine have done that sporadically since the car was new, which is going on 16 months now. It is particularly frustrating for my wife sometimes. I have complained about this NUMEROUS times to the dealer and have always been told that they “cannot duplicate,” and are “functioning as designed.” They never seem to get much worse or any better. On my car, this “feature” is an absolute pain in the ***! The soft close has never been an issue.
Old 07-15-2023, 10:54 AM

Received 124 Likes on 84 Posts
S450 4Matic
Originally Posted by Streamliner
Mine have done that sporadically since the car was new, which is going on 16 months now. It is particularly frustrating for my wife sometimes. I have complained about this NUMEROUS times to the dealer and have always been told that they “cannot duplicate,” and are “functioning as designed.” They never seem to get much worse or any better. On my car, this “feature” is an absolute pain in the ***! The soft close has never been an issue.
So your door handle 'occasionally' requires more force to open than usual?

Well, mine was predicatably constant. I cannot help but feel that the eventual pop-out failure was related to me constantly pulling open the door handle with many times the force it was designed to handle.
Old 07-15-2023, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,665 Likes on 2,099 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by rw594
So your door handle 'occasionally' requires more force to open than usual?

Well, mine was predicatably constant. I cannot help but feel that the eventual pop-out failure was related to me constantly pulling open the door handle with many times the force it was designed to handle.
Yes, did it twice yesterday.

Old 10-08-2023, 10:41 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
W222
Originally Posted by Mem30306
Wanted to close the loop on this issue. Here is the report from the dealer:

Duplicated customer's concern: left front soft close is inoperative. Connect battery charger and perform a quick test. The left front door control
unit has a new software update available. * Perform software update successfully * Technician also found a software update available for the
Electronic Ignition Central Gateway. * Software update completed successfully* . The left front door soft close still INOP. As per guided test inspect
wires and connectors from the left front door lock actuator to left front door control module. Disconnect & negative battery cable end. R&R left front
door panel ( AR72.10-P-6575S ). R&R left front door control module ( AR72.10-P-0900S ). Inspection results- > No loose connections found. As per
guided test replace door lock actuator. Fault code current & stored- > B25BF01 The door lock has a malfunction. There is a general electrical fault. -
> R&R left front door lock actuator. - > Replaced actuator ( part # A 099 720 99 01 ). Put everything back in reverse order. Connect SDS and clear
all stored fault codes. The left front door soft close is working intermittently. The left front door power closing actuator has an intermittent
malfunction, component: M14/21. -> R&R door panel. R&R door control module. - > Replaced power closing actuator. Part # A 223 760 13 00. Put
everything back in reverse order. * Perform SCN coding after repairs. * Normalize the left front window successfully * Clear all stored fault codes.
The left front door soft close is working as factory designed. Verified repairs.
This happened to all 4 of my doors and truck. All of the sudden, even though it's "unlocked" none of the doors would open. 15 minutes later, after I had walked away and came back, the doors worked again. This is extremely concerning. I have an appointment on Tuesday morning.
Old 10-09-2023, 07:36 AM

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
2022 S580
Originally Posted by Moondogg
This happened to all 4 of my doors and truck. All of the sudden, even though it's "unlocked" none of the doors would open. 15 minutes later, after I had walked away and came back, the doors worked again. This is extremely concerning. I have an appointment on Tuesday morning.
Although not directly related to your issue, I had a situation where my opened sunroof would not close. Tried multiple times to get it to shut - but no response from the sunroof control panel. I couldn't operate the sunshades either. I thought the fuse that controls the roof had blown. Went inside my home and did some research on the computer on how/where to access the fuse block so I could check the fuse. When I returned to the car about 20 minutes later, everything worked: sunroof closed and opened multiple times; sunshade opened and closed without issue. This all happened several months ago, and everything has worked without issue since.

The moral to the story here is the software in our cars sometimes loses its mind and causes as sorts of issues. Mine did; and based on many other posts I've read in this forum, it appears that it has for others, too.

Moondogg - If the car resets itself after a period of time, I'd try to relax and rack this up to Gremlins in the system. I know it is frustrating to have issues like this on a car that cost you over $128K, but from someone that has also had the issue, it might save you some anxiety.
Old 07-13-2024, 07:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes S580e 2023
Same issue same door

Originally Posted by Mem30306
My new S580 front driver side door's soft close mechanism stopped working. All other doors work fine. I've searched the forum and have found many posts about soft close door issues, but can't find any on such a new car. Any suggestions on if I can "fix" without taking to the dealer? Many have suggested removing the fuse, but thought I'd ask you guys for any suggestions??

Thank you in advance for any suggestions or guidance.
Hi the same issue just happened yesterday to my car as well, could you please tell me if you managed to find solution?
Old 07-13-2024, 07:29 AM

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
2022 S580
Went into the dealer under warranty. They fixed it.
Old 07-13-2024, 07:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 749 Likes on 469 Posts
2023 S500
Yeah mem3036 posted the service invoice in a post above. https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...ml#post8793258

Failed door actuator.