S-Class (W223) 2021 to Present

S Class configurator issues………..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2023, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,761 Likes on 2,149 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
S Class configurator issues………..

For a massive, zillion dollar company like Daimler-Benz, they sure don’t exercise much of anything in the way of control over how their various marketing arms present their products. It is SO disappointing to folks using the “Build” feature on the MBUSA site, to CONSTANTLY see hiccups with their site. I was just fooling with it and, here are three scenarios involving the 3D Instrument Cluster.

First, the view of how the cluster looks without selecting either the “3D Technology Package” or the “12.3” 3D Instrument Cluster” options. Note the size & shape of the instrument cluster:

Now, with the 3D Pkg. Selected. Notice how much taller the cluster is:

Now, with only the 3D Cluster selected. WHERE did the instrument cluster go???:

Old 05-19-2023, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,011 Likes on 592 Posts
N/A
Their web team has been floundering for so long.
I wish someone high up there would take notice and make things better.
The following users liked this post:
Streamliner (05-19-2023)
Old 05-19-2023, 12:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,015 Likes on 3,155 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Streamliner
For a massive, zillion dollar company like Daimler-Benz, they sure don’t exercise much of anything in the way of control over how their various marketing arms present their products. It is SO disappointing to folks using the “Build” feature on the MBUSA site, to CONSTANTLY see hiccups with their site. I was just fooling with it and, here are three scenarios involving the 3D Instrument Cluster.

First, the view of how the cluster looks without selecting either the “3D Technology Package” or the “12.3” 3D Instrument Cluster” options. Note the size & shape of the instrument cluster:

Now, with the 3D Pkg. Selected. Notice how much taller the cluster is:

Now, with only the 3D Cluster selected. WHERE did the instrument cluster go???:

More fuel for the fire (none needed) that Mercedes is a ship lost at sea and their minions at MBUSA are ineffective.

It should be noted that Mercedes occupies a small corner of the automotive world. They are a rounding error vis-a-vis Toyota and VW, the real car companies. They are not the Mighty Oz, but rather the little man behind the curtain.

Last edited by chassis; 05-19-2023 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-19-2023, 01:04 PM

Received 178 Likes on 138 Posts
AMG
it's been a tough month for S class owners: wireless charger is not optimized for the for poorly designed phones, the umbrellas are rolling around in the trank, the golf clubs are not fitting in the desired way and now the web configurator is not precise.
Old 05-19-2023, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 790 Likes on 514 Posts
Current/Last 5-years: GLS,X5,Tesla,Accord; Sold:S560;S550,2x X7; X5;BMW 530e;Lincoln Navigator;LS460
After ownring a few Mbenz and S-class vehicles in the past, then switching to to BMW vehicles and owning 4 recently, now back to the S-class, the only thing that I find enticing in a MBenz is the driving experience of the S-class. Mbenz is far behind in technology and functionalities compared to BMW (they can't even get their website to work just fine). Even for something as simple as the transmission and shifting points, Mbenz is still far behind. If it wasn't for the luxury driving experience of the S-class that drives like a boat, I would switch back to BMW tomorrow. Technology wise, Mbenz sucks. The best vehicle anyone can get seems to be a vehicle engineered by Mbenz from a driving experience, BMW software engineers, and old retired Mbenz designers and architects.
chassis (05-19-2023)
Old 05-19-2023, 01:29 PM

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
2014 S550, 2007 S600
Originally Posted by Dima
it's been a tough month for S class owners: wireless charger is not optimized for the for poorly designed phones, the umbrellas are rolling around in the trank, the golf clubs are not fitting in the desired way and now the web configurator is not precise.
Rough life
Old 05-19-2023, 02:21 PM

Received 349 Likes on 190 Posts
2022 S580
The brand itself has become so diluted with the A class et al...servicing has become an interesting experience.

I just go back to the manager of the dealership who sold me my car otherwise I would be forever waiting in line with cars that cost not even a third of what I paid.

Please don't get your knickers in a twist about equality, you pay you expect to play. With all the A classes et al...the quality of the service at a typical benz dealership is not what it should be for an S class at these price levels. It is not what is appropriate at this price point.
Old 05-19-2023, 02:46 PM

AMG
Originally Posted by Bubba1
The brand itself has become so diluted with the A class et al...servicing has become an interesting experience.

I just go back to the manager of the dealership who sold me my car otherwise I would be forever waiting in line with cars that cost not even a third of what I paid.

Please don't get your knickers in a twist about equality, you pay you expect to play. With all the A classes et al...the quality of the service at a typical benz dealership is not what it should be for an S class at these price levels. It is not what is appropriate at this price point.
A and B will be going away soon. CLA is not yet certain. C would become more expensive as it will have more standard equipment.
Bubba1 (05-19-2023)
Old 05-19-2023, 03:15 PM

AMG
Originally Posted by Bubba1

I hear you, I hate it when my Gulfstream gets put in holding pattern, never understood why I need to use the same runways.
BenjaminKohl (05-22-2023)
Old 05-19-2023, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,865 Likes on 1,845 Posts
2024 S580
Originally Posted by S_W222
After ownring a few Mbenz and S-class vehicles in the past, then switching to to BMW vehicles and owning 4 recently, now back to the S-class, the only thing that I find enticing in a MBenz is the driving experience of the S-class. Mbenz is far behind in technology and functionalities compared to BMW (they can't even get their website to work just fine). Even for something as simple as the transmission and shifting points, Mbenz is still far behind. If it wasn't for the luxury driving experience of the S-class that drives like a boat, I would switch back to BMW tomorrow. Technology wise, Mbenz sucks. The best vehicle anyone can get seems to be a vehicle engineered by Mbenz from a driving experience, BMW software engineers, and old retired Mbenz designers and architects.
If you think the tech in an MB sucks, you should drive a Lexus lol.

I don't entirely disagree with you, when it comes to tech BMW is way ahead but the tech in the MB isn't bad.
Old 05-19-2023, 04:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,015 Likes on 3,155 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Mercedes sells lots of econo A cars around the world. They are not eliminating these vehicles as a drains on their talent and financial resources.

The US market is not the world from the car company point of view.
Old 05-19-2023, 04:34 PM

AMG
Originally Posted by chassis
Mercedes sells lots of econo A cars around the world. They are not eliminating these vehicles as a drains on their talent and financial resources.

The US market is not the world from the car company point of view.
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...facelift-2023/
Old 05-19-2023, 05:13 PM

Received 349 Likes on 190 Posts
2022 S580
Originally Posted by Dima
I hear you, I hate it when my Gulfstream gets put in holding pattern, never understood why I need to use the same runways.
I hate that too. With the G5 I can tolerate, but with the Bombardier Global Express it’s unacceptable.
Old 05-19-2023, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Current/Last 5-years: GLS,X5,Tesla,Accord; Sold:S560;S550,2x X7; X5;BMW 530e;Lincoln Navigator;LS460
Originally Posted by SW20S
If you think the tech in an MB sucks, you should drive a Lexus lol.

I don't entirely disagree with you, when it comes to tech BMW is way ahead but the tech in the MB isn't bad.
Oh I 100% agree with you. You know, honestly, I would be driving an LS now if the tech was better!. Just like your case, I also had a couple LS and they are one of the best vehicles to drive on long trips, but the tech sucks. Toyota and Lexus can yet figure out how to design a good looking 360 camera that don’t circle around the car non-stop!!!!
Old 05-19-2023, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
I had CarPlay added to my 2017 LS460L which helped a lot, but the aftermarket CarPlay was glitchy and would crash and there were weird issues with call quality. I’m a 100% carplay user so really the tech doesn’t impact me all that much. My only issue with the tech in my 560 is the infotainment is slow. That’s not an issue in the 223 though.

And oh god what is it with that camera?! Like what we’re they thinking?

Last edited by SW20S; 05-19-2023 at 11:41 PM.
Old 05-20-2023, 12:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I had CarPlay added to my 2017 LS460L which helped a lot, but the aftermarket CarPlay was glitchy and would crash and there were weird issues with call quality. I’m a 100% carplay user so really the tech doesn’t impact me all that much. My only issue with the tech in my 560 is the infotainment is slow. That’s not an issue in the 223 though.

And oh god what is it with that camera?! Like what we’re they thinking?
I had an aftermarket Carplay retrofitted in my previous W222, while it worked fine, it had some glitches. In my current W222 facelift (S560), Carplay is flawless but when you have another BMW in the garage, you can easily spot that the Carplay in MBenz is a tiny bit laggy. Also, the lack of wireless Carplay in the S560 bothers me a lot. In both my BMWs, Carplay automatically starts in a matter of 2 seconds only. In the S560, u have to wait for the infotainment system to load up, plug your phone, and then another 5-10 seconds for Carplay to start… Even in the W223, when compared to 2022/2023 BMW Carplay, it is still a tiny bit behind than BMW. Don’t get me wrong, I still prefer my Mbenz over any of the BMWs I have (in fact I don’t even drive them, they are for the wife and family) but I just wish Mbenz will do better in the tech space one day. The zero-layer in the new MBUX is something I still don’t understand. Can’t wait until we start seeing vehicles with the new promised Carplay system on both/all screens; at least we won’t need more than a high computing power unit from Mbenz in their cars.
Old 05-20-2023, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Originally Posted by S_W222
I had an aftermarket Carplay retrofitted in my previous W222, while it worked fine, it had some glitches. In my current W222 facelift (S560), Carplay is flawless but when you have another BMW in the garage, you can easily spot that the Carplay in MBenz is a tiny bit laggy. Also, the lack of wireless Carplay in the S560 bothers me a lot. In both my BMWs, Carplay automatically starts in a matter of 2 seconds only. In the S560, u have to wait for the infotainment system to load up, plug your phone, and then another 5-10 seconds for Carplay to start… Even in the W223, when compared to 2022/2023 BMW Carplay, it is still a tiny bit behind than BMW. Don’t get me wrong, I still prefer my Mbenz over any of the BMWs I have (in fact I don’t even drive them, they are for the wife and family) but I just wish Mbenz will do better in the tech space one day. The zero-layer in the new MBUX is something I still don’t understand. Can’t wait until we start seeing vehicles with the new promised Carplay system on both/all screens; at least we won’t need more than a high computing power unit from Mbenz in their cars.
My Carplay does glitch sometimes, but its rare. You don't have to wait for the system to boot to plug in BTW, just plug in as soon as I get in and it all just works out. Does take 10 seconds or so. The whole system is just slow.
Old 05-20-2023, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My Carplay does glitch sometimes, but its rare. You don't have to wait for the system to boot to plug in BTW, just plug in as soon as I get in and it all just works out. Does take 10 seconds or so. The whole system is just slow.
if I plug it as soon as I get in the car, I noticed it takes longer (like the whole 10-15 seconds), however, if I wait just a tiny bit until the Mercedes logo, usually Carplay loads up in about 3-5 seconds then. The total time to get things up and running would be too close (this barely saves maybe 5 seconds or so), it's just psychological, I hate to keep waiting after plugging the phone. I've always thought about buying one of those Wi-Fi Carplay modules... but, I don't keep my cars for years or decades so I can live with it short-term. Sorry for the W223 folks for hijacking the thread with W222 CarPlay stuff. My next benz will likely "or certainly" be a facelift W223 as I learned to never get the pre-facelift of any vehicle, so I'll hang in around here for a couple of years here in this forum learning more about the W223.

Last edited by S_W222; 05-20-2023 at 05:22 PM.