S-Class (W223) 2021 to Present

Should I buy an 223?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2023, 02:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,616 Likes on 2,224 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by Sleeper Benz
Your video shared reminded me of another car which is: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...m-amg-concept/
Which generated a lot of hate.

Back to Maybach though: I like the Vision 6 Maybach concept, I can see why someone would want to drive that instead of being in the rear seat. Will also be curious how the SL Maybach will turn out and also the SL Mythos.
The following users liked this post:
crabman (08-27-2023)
Old 08-28-2023, 09:51 AM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
2023 S400D and 2007 C350
I have the 2023 S400D since April of this year and it's a love/hate relationship for me. Everything was doing great again for couple of months after the initial issue of battery drain and lost of soft close on the driver's door. The car is far from perfect and the software is a little buggy like I had the ghost emergency breaking happened last Saturday. Every now and again, I will lose my personal settings. Now the most irritating is I have a squeaky steering wheel. So is it the S Class of yester years, no but it still drives nice when everything is working. The one thing you need to expect is the air suspension is not as soft as you would think from an S Class and the cabin noise is ok but not that great. Would I buy a used S Class, no! Would I buy one again, probably not but if it has to be an S Class then I'll get the S450D.
Old 08-28-2023, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,665 Likes on 2,099 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by Joseph_Elery
I have the 2023 S400D since April of this year and it's a love/hate relationship for me. Everything was doing great again for couple of months after the initial issue of battery drain and lost of soft close on the driver's door. The car is far from perfect and the software is a little buggy like I had the ghost emergency breaking happened last Saturday. Every now and again, I will lose my personal settings. Now the most irritating is I have a squeaky steering wheel. So is it the S Class of yester years, no but it still drives nice when everything is working. The one thing you need to expect is the air suspension is not as soft as you would think from an S Class and the cabin noise is ok but not that great. Would I buy a used S Class, no! Would I buy one again, probably not but if it has to be an S Class then I'll get the S450D.
Interesting. You are obviously not in the USA with an S400D.

As someone who is crazy about noise, vibration and harshness, I find the cabin of my S580 to be VERY quiet. I’m wondering if it is just your diesel that is causing the noise or if your non-USA spec car doesn’t have the same acoustic glass & insulation that all USA bound W223’s have.

Having recently driven a 2023 S500 for a few hours, at least with the 20” wheels and run flat tires, I too feel that the AirMatic suspension could be dialed in a bit softer. These big, luxurious saloons should have comfort as their number one goal, in my opinion.
The following users liked this post:
Mem30306 (08-29-2023)
Old 08-29-2023, 10:28 AM

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
2022 S580
I'm with @Streamliner on the noise level in our S580s. Even with 21" wheels on Atlanta roads and highways, my car is super quiet - even at (or sometimes over) highway speeds it is whisper quiet.
Old 08-29-2023, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,119 Likes on 707 Posts
23 S580 Executive
Very quiet. For my purposes it's to the point that even were a back to back drive show another car to be better I wouldn't care. It's below the point of being a meaningful differentiator when shopping.
Old 09-15-2023, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C257 CLS 350d
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Oh the best of both worlds, very nice. The CLS is a dying breed (in MB's eyes and they are not planning to come up with a new generation for it so keeping it is not a bad idea).

The W223 S-Class is a great place to be, it is like an occasion actually, are you getting the short wheel base or the long wheel base one? Will you be mainly driving or something will be driving you? If you are buying new then you are all set if you are buying used, always get a pre-purchase inspection.
Most of the time I am planning to drive myself but, short wheelbase seems bit odd. That's why I will go for long wheelbase. If I can find a petrol engined rather than diesel it might be nice but, I am not strict on this. In the meanwhile my main concern is if there are differences between different production years. I have read that pre 2022's are quite problematic in some cases but, at the same time, there are lots of Mercedes approved second hand cars with very low milage from year 2021. In fact, I have taken a look to one of them in my local dealer; It was a 400d long and it almost had everything I might need. If there was active multicontour seats that would be much better but again, I am not strict on this option. There was also another 400d long with almost full options but, I wonder if really use many those options. For that reason, I am not hurrying right now.
Old 09-15-2023, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C257 CLS 350d
Originally Posted by Joseph_Elery
Today I have looked for an 400d long. One of them was 2021 and other one was 2022 production. May I ask your opinions on eq-start system. I heard some complaints on them. Also, may I ask if your problems were solved following a software update or do you still experience them. I am a bit obsessed and sometimes bit anxious so, for me, it is really important to have a peace of mind.
Old 09-15-2023, 10:30 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,616 Likes on 2,224 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by emrebenz
Most of the time I am planning to drive myself but, short wheelbase seems bit odd. That's why I will go for long wheelbase. If I can find a petrol engined rather than diesel it might be nice but, I am not strict on this. In the meanwhile my main concern is if there are differences between different production years. I have read that pre 2022's are quite problematic in some cases but, at the same time, there are lots of Mercedes approved second hand cars with very low milage from year 2021. In fact, I have taken a look to one of them in my local dealer; It was a 400d long and it almost had everything I might need. If there was active multicontour seats that would be much better but again, I am not strict on this option. There was also another 400d long with almost full options but, I wonder if really use many those options. For that reason, I am not hurrying right now.
Fair enough, understood.

Since 2024 is coming up I really don't recommend looking at 2022 W223 (there are exceptions, I will explain) , the trend with first model year is there might be problems that needs sequent model years to be fixed as well as that it generally has a much higher depreciate than 2023 (not as big of a problem for you since you aren't buying it new but the trend is usually first model year of a generation depreciates faster during its lifecycle than the followed model year from what I experienced).

If you are fine with perhaps some issues and perhaps some time off to get it fixed but save some money and dont' care about depreciation (or not selling anytime soon) then the 2022, might not be a bad idea in that case. Some forum members here had absolute horrible experience with their 2022 but others have no issues.

However, you did mention from year 2021, I understand Europe gets cars quicker than North America so if you are looking at a W223 2022 and 2021 W223 was the first model year for Europe, then you are essentially buying a second model year W223 and the depreciation wouldn't had been as bad. Just confirm if 2021 was the W222 and not the W223 for Europe, I know North America 2022 was the first model year for the W223.
Old 09-15-2023, 06:51 PM
TSA

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
S580 MAYBACH Z223
If you live in Germany , yeah go buy it. Right now.

but if you live in a country which doesn’t have MERCEDES ME services like - Ukraine , Russia , turkey ext. don’t bother to buy it.