S-Class (W223) 2021 to Present

9 WEEKS since repurchase approved and…..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2023, 12:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,465 Likes on 2,098 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by Streamliner
Well, I finally got the call from the Sedgewick rep and met him at the dealer yesterday. He looked the car over, had me sign a bunch of papers and then handed me a check for about $56,000.00. I was refunded my down payment, every lease payment, all taxes and there was no deduction for the 15K miles I put on the car over the 18 months I had it. They even refunded the prorated portion of the remaining license. I have contacted the dealer where I leased the car and they will be refunding the unused portion of the MB Pre-Paid Maintenance contract. In the end, my expenses were for the one “A” Service, the set of conventional tires I put on the car, license, insurance and gas.

Before anyone makes the comment that MBUSA was just so generous in finally resolving my nightmare experience with their $153,700.00 flagship sedan, please let me point out that their “generosity” was pretty much mandated by California Lemon Law legislation and that by voluntarily offering to repurchase the car, they saved themselves the attorney fees that would have resulted had they forced me to hire legal counsel. In this insane state where I live, the Lemon Law is on the extremely short list of only TWO benefits, the weather being the other one.

I know that several folks here felt that I should have just traded the car over a year ago since I was so unhappy with it. However, that would have resulted in me taking a massive loss on the car and I would have most likely ended up with another new MB, which to me now, is unacceptable. For the first time EVER, since I was of driving age, I can truthfully say that there is not one MB model in the current line that I would like to drive.

Lastly, I should mention that had MB Financial Services allowed me to seek out a “well qualified” person to take over the lease on this car, this whole fiasco could have been avoided long ago. In 2014, when I leased a new ML350BT and later found that I really missed my big sedan, I placed an ad on this site and found a gentleman who assumed the MBFS lease and I ordered a new S550. The fellow still has the ML and loves it. Since that time, I went on to lease SIX new MB’s. Even though MB is not the only company who does not allow lease assumptions anymore, they were “MY” favored automaker and with this last very trying S580 “MASSACREE,” even IF there was a new MB I was interested in, I would have thought long and hard before I signed on the dotted line. It makes zero sense to me to lock customers into a vehicle they are unhappy with and I hope they change that back one day soon.

Thanks to all here who commented on my S580 posts. I’d like to say that I’m done complaining about it, but I’m sure you all know that I’m probably not.
Glad it worked out!
The following users liked this post:
Streamliner (09-14-2023)
Old 09-14-2023, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 701 Likes on 439 Posts
2023 S500
I regret not being patient and forcing a buyback on my GLE. It would have eventually met that criteria had I endured, but man I hate gong to the dealership for unplanned service visits. Aggravating, but it would have been worth it in hindsight.

Old 09-14-2023, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,067 Likes on 674 Posts
23 S580 Executive
It's a short journey, I'd submit that letting a multinational suck life out of any portion of it may not be money well spent; or in this case, well saved. Depends on the man and his financials I suppose.
Old 09-14-2023, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,584 Likes on 2,048 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by crabman
It's a short journey, I'd submit that letting a multinational suck life out of any portion of it may not be money well spent; or in this case, well saved. Depends on the man and his financials I suppose.
Well, we all have different priorities. I’m many years retired. I still have an office or “man cave” that I go to, but it’s more to get me “out of the house” than to conduct business. My wife and I are not great travelers anymore, so basically, I’m usually “around.”

Having leased my 2022 S580 sight unseen during the great CCP Virus fiasco and related vehicle shortage, I felt SWINDLED after I determined that the EABC equipped car was never going to ride nearly as good as my previous MBC equipped W222’s. I was so disappointed. First I put my favorite Bridgestone QuietTrack tires on the car and if anything, the ride got worse. Then I went with Continental’s that gave me some improvement, but the ride was still reasonably horrible, in my opinion.

As it turned out, when the car stranded me and it took the dealer 30 days to repair it, that was a stroke of luck for me and a relatively easy way out of the diabolical lease I was entangled in. In the end, as annoying as the car was, the experience provided a bit of entertainment to this old guy and getting all my money back makes me feel better.

I know most here are tired of hearing this, but with many, many new cars under my belt, I can truthfully say that in my experienced opinion, the HVAC and the quieter cabin are the ONLY things that excel in the W223 over the W222. The W222 is a much better car in virtually every other respect.
Old 09-15-2023, 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,067 Likes on 674 Posts
23 S580 Executive
My apologies, wasn't a call out. Some guys are going after the buyback on principal, some because they need to come out in the least costly way, some because they're not bothered by the whole thing and that makes the buyout a no-brainer. On the other hand are those who are eaten up by this kind of thing, have enough money to walk away, etc. Lots of things might drive a man one way or the other.

I was responding to frenetic; maybe he did the right thing getting out, it isn't necessarily a bad thing, it depends on the man and his financial situation.
Streamliner (09-15-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 06:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 701 Likes on 439 Posts
2023 S500
Oh for me the only benefit of doing a buyback/lemon would have been financial. I think I ultimately ended up eating $10k to get out, and I made maybe a total of $15k in payments at that point, including the down payment, towards my loan (I purchased versus a lease). However, the journey to get there would have been miserable for me.

In any case, it’s all water under the bridge at this point. I’m very happy to rid myself of my first and only new car purchase that I ever regretted and I’ll never buy anything ever again out of that factory, so I learned an expensive and hard lesson.
Streamliner (09-15-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 10:16 AM
Out Of Control!!

Well, we all have different priorities. I’m many years retired. I still have an office or “man cave” that I go to, but it’s more to get me “out of the house” than to conduct business. My wife and I are not great travelers anymore, so basically, I’m usually “around.”

Having leased my 2022 S580 sight unseen during the great CCP Virus fiasco and related vehicle shortage, I felt SWINDLED after I determined that the EABC equipped car was never going to ride nearly as good as my previous MBC equipped W222’s. I was so disappointed. First I put my favorite Bridgestone QuietTrack tires on the car and if anything, the ride got worse. Then I went with Continental’s that gave me some improvement, but the ride was still reasonably horrible, in my opinion.

As it turned out, when the car stranded me and it took the dealer 30 days to repair it, that was a stroke of luck for me and a relatively easy way out of the diabolical lease I was entangled in. In the end, as annoying as the car was, the experience provided a bit of entertainment to this old guy and getting all my money back makes me feel better.

I know most here are tired of hearing this, but with many, many new cars under my belt, I can truthfully say that in my experienced opinion, the HVAC and the quieter cabin are the ONLY things that excel in the W223 over the W222. The W222 is a much better car in virtually every other respect.
Weird that the designed to be more quiet tires or softer tires made it worse, might be the suspension being confused why the tires all the suddenly became what it is and did weird things.
Old 09-15-2023, 10:18 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Frenetic
Oh for me the only benefit of doing a buyback/lemon would have been financial. I think I ultimately ended up eating $10k to get out, and I made maybe a total of $15k in payments at that point, including the down payment, towards my loan (I purchased versus a lease). However, the journey to get there would have been miserable for me.

In any case, it’s all water under the bridge at this point. I’m very happy to rid myself of my first and only new car purchase that I ever regretted and I’ll never buy anything ever again out of that factory, so I learned an expensive and hard lesson.
Either way glad you got out and got to enjoy your S-Class way more than the lemon GLE you had. You never know, maybe if you didn't exit at that time you did and instead waited for the buyback, you wouldn't had find the W223 replacement that worked for you and one without issues unlike the lemon W223 forum member Streamliner had (although best wishes to him finding his W222 with MBC though : )

Enjoy your cars folks!
Old 05-31-2024, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE 350
Sedgwick won’t return calls or emails.

Well, I finally got the call from the Sedgewick rep and met him at the dealer yesterday. He looked the car over, had me sign a bunch of papers and then handed me a check for about $56,000.00. I was refunded my down payment, every lease payment, all taxes and there was no deduction for the 15K miles I put on the car over the 18 months I had it. They even refunded the prorated portion of the remaining license. I have contacted the dealer where I leased the car and they will be refunding the unused portion of the MB Pre-Paid Maintenance contract. In the end, my expenses were for the one “A” Service, the set of conventional tires I put on the car, license, insurance and gas.

Before anyone makes the comment that MBUSA was just so generous in finally resolving my nightmare experience with their $153,700.00 flagship sedan, please let me point out that their “generosity” was pretty much mandated by California Lemon Law legislation and that by voluntarily offering to repurchase the car, they saved themselves the attorney fees that would have resulted had they forced me to hire legal counsel. In this insane state where I live, the Lemon Law is on the extremely short list of only TWO benefits, the weather being the other one.

I know that several folks here felt that I should have just traded the car over a year ago since I was so unhappy with it. However, that would have resulted in me taking a massive loss on the car and I would have most likely ended up with another new MB, which to me now, is unacceptable. For the first time EVER, since I was of driving age, I can truthfully say that there is not one MB model in the current line that I would like to drive.

Lastly, I should mention that had MB Financial Services allowed me to seek out a “well qualified” person to take over the lease on this car, this whole fiasco could have been avoided long ago. In 2014, when I leased a new ML350BT and later found that I really missed my big sedan, I placed an ad on this site and found a gentleman who assumed the MBFS lease and I ordered a new S550. The fellow still has the ML and loves it. Since that time, I went on to lease SIX new MB’s. Even though MB is not the only company who does not allow lease assumptions anymore, they were “MY” favored automaker and with this last very trying S580 “MASSACREE,” even IF there was a new MB I was interested in, I would have thought long and hard before I signed on the dotted line. It makes zero sense to me to lock customers into a vehicle they are unhappy with and I hope they change that back one day soon.

Thanks to all here who commented on my S580 posts. I’d like to say that I’m done complaining about it, but I’m sure you all know that I’m probably not.

I can’t get Sedgwick to return my call or email. When I contacted Mercedes, they say that they approved the buyback and that it is up to Sedgwick. No one will talk to me.
Old 05-31-2024, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,584 Likes on 2,048 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by chucktcarter
I can’t get Sedgwick to return my call or email. When I contacted Mercedes, they say that they approved the buyback and that it is up to Sedgwick. No one will talk to me.
Have you received an email from MBUSA stating that they have, indeed, approved the buyback? How about a hard copy letter in the mail?
Old 05-31-2024, 05:31 PM

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
S580 202
Originally Posted by chucktcarter
How long has it been since your last call into Sedgwick? I dealt with a young lady there by the name of Amber, 214-583-2122 Amber.Marshall@Sedgwick.com. Send her an email explaining your frustration. This way you will have established documentation of the approval.
I sent her a 2lb box of Sees candy as a thank you for her help when mine was completed.
They are very busy and at least you have a vehicle in the meantime. MB will reimburse everything up to the day of buyback completion.
I ended up not taking their buyback but instead took their cash compensation for my trouble, all processed by Sedgwick. I LOVE the car and am very pleased that I did not have them buy it back.
Old 06-01-2024, 12:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S580
I took their CASH but LOVE the car. Too many *******s on here. The car has a slight bump from third gear to fourth. Oh no! It’s the worse car ever built. Get a life! Karma is coming for you guys.
Old 06-02-2024, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,660 Likes on 1,707 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
Originally Posted by acatt
I took their CASH but LOVE the car. Too many *******s on here. The car has a slight bump from third gear to fourth. Oh no! It’s the worse car ever built. Get a life! Karma is coming for you guys.
Karma is coming to them? For demanding they are satisfied with their $150,000 cars? I think karma has bigger things to worry about lol.

I don't blame anybody who is having problems with a car that is having a lot of issues for pursuing a buyback. This isn't a Camry...