S-Class (W223) 2021 to Present

2022 S580 21 inch AMG wheel & Pirellis

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2024, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s580
2022 S580 21 inch AMG wheel & Pirellis

Hi, Need some opinions and help. I've read extensively about the problems (after the fact). Bought a cpo 2022 s580 with the amg line package, 21" amg wheels and pirellis. had the car about 2 months. Beginning of Feb 2024, saw the fuel recall so took it in. Car was also shaking at 70 mph and various warning things - active brake assistance, camera stuff etc. Result - for shaking turns out the wheels are bent on this cpo vehicle. MBZ repaired them for free since I said hey I've had this cpo for 2 months. Now, this past weekend, in San Diego Mira Mesa whcih I have learned has the most pot holes.... hit a pot hole and drove home. Next morning drove off and the tire pressure went to about 20 with the red warning. Checked and discovered bent wheel and slow air leak. After that, I started searching online and discovered the s580 + 21" Wheel + Pirelli problem. So, eyeing the possibility of a lemon...I towed the car back to the MBZ dealer and called to inquire about the 20 or 19" change possibility. Turns out that not only the front was bad, the back is also bent. They said the high gloss black is not the factory rim but likely painted aftermarket on the MBZ factory fim. So, looking at replacing 4 wheels and 4 tires... to get a matching set.. so like 8-9K .... and I'm wondering if this is even worth it. I don't think I can enjoy this car as a female who drives late a night and having to continuously peer at the road to look out for potholes lol.

Questions: 1) I see people talking about 19 or 20" The dealer said that bc the 21" is configured to that spec and smaller will change the look, but more importantlyl, the height and with the sensors and what not, lot of error message and problems with the car will come about if change to 19 or 20. Is this correct?
2) Tires - does changing to Michellin tires on the 21" rims make sense or still have that pop problem? Are the michelins run flats?
3) Are there any reliable workarounds that prople have discovered?
4) Called mbz to get more info on buyback or trade assist. Will get more info later.
5) Do all the S580s have this problem? or it specifically the 21" amg wheels/tires?

Thanks in advance for any insight as I try to figure out what to do....
Old 03-02-2024, 12:16 AM

Received 341 Likes on 186 Posts
2022 S580
Originally Posted by kyeraco
Hi, Need some opinions and help. I've read extensively about the problems (after the fact). Bought a cpo 2022 s580 with the amg line package, 21" amg wheels and pirellis. had the car about 2 months. Beginning of Feb 2024, saw the fuel recall so took it in. Car was also shaking at 70 mph and various warning things - active brake assistance, camera stuff etc. Result - for shaking turns out the wheels are bent on this cpo vehicle. MBZ repaired them for free since I said hey I've had this cpo for 2 months. Now, this past weekend, in San Diego Mira Mesa whcih I have learned has the most pot holes.... hit a pot hole and drove home. Next morning drove off and the tire pressure went to about 20 with the red warning. Checked and discovered bent wheel and slow air leak. After that, I started searching online and discovered the s580 + 21" Wheel + Pirelli problem. So, eyeing the possibility of a lemon...I towed the car back to the MBZ dealer and called to inquire about the 20 or 19" change possibility. Turns out that not only the front was bad, the back is also bent. They said the high gloss black is not the factory rim but likely painted aftermarket on the MBZ factory fim. So, looking at replacing 4 wheels and 4 tires... to get a matching set.. so like 8-9K .... and I'm wondering if this is even worth it. I don't think I can enjoy this car as a female who drives late a night and having to continuously peer at the road to look out for potholes lol.

Questions: 1) I see people talking about 19 or 20" The dealer said that bc the 21" is configured to that spec and smaller will change the look, but more importantlyl, the height and with the sensors and what not, lot of error message and problems with the car will come about if change to 19 or 20. Is this correct?
2) Tires - does changing to Michellin tires on the 21" rims make sense or still have that pop problem? Are the michelins run flats?
3) Are there any reliable workarounds that prople have discovered?
4) Called mbz to get more info on buyback or trade assist. Will get more info later.
5) Do all the S580s have this problem? or it specifically the 21" amg wheels/tires?

Had my 2022 S580 for two years now. Have the 20” tires. No issues whatsoever. You will see on this forum that 21” have been a real headache for many. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
kyeraco (03-02-2024)
Old 03-02-2024, 12:35 AM

s580
Originally Posted by Bubba1
Had my 2022 S580 for two years now. Have the 20” tires. No issues whatsoever. You will see on this forum that 21” have been a real headache for many. Good luck!
Thank you, so change to 20" wheels and what type of 20" tires? any brand ok?

thanks!
Old 03-02-2024, 01:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,116 Likes on 704 Posts
23 S580 Executive
Originally Posted by kyeraco
Do all the S580s have this problem? or it specifically the 21" amg wheels/tires?

First... Don't beat yourself up; lower aspects are going to be worse on average but this car is unusual.

The normal scenario is 21s require vigilance but can survive fairly well if you keep your eyes open and slow down for road hazards. This car has an unidentified issue with the 21" AMG wheel and/or tire which is causing substantially higher than any expected failure rate.

What you're looking at when changing the wheel sizing is making the overall circumference of the wheel and tire combo the same as the stock tire to avoid trouble with the cars systems.

This is easy enough to do and the car in fact comes from the factory with at least 18 to 21" wheels that I know of; could be more.

My guess is you can probably get into a wheel/tire combo that will hold up fine for 5k or so; this would be good tires and presentable wheels suitable for this car.
Old 03-02-2024, 06:14 PM

s580
Originally Posted by crabman
First... Don't beat yourself up; lower aspects are going to be worse on average but this car is unusual.

The normal scenario is 21s require vigilance but can survive fairly well if you keep your eyes open and slow down for road hazards. This car has an unidentified issue with the 21" AMG wheel and/or tire which is causing substantially higher than any expected failure rate.

What you're looking at when changing the wheel sizing is making the overall circumference of the wheel and tire combo the same as the stock tire to avoid trouble with the cars systems.

This is easy enough to do and the car in fact comes from the factory with at least 18 to 21" wheels that I know of; could be more.

My guess is you can probably get into a wheel/tire combo that will hold up fine for 5k or so; this would be good tires and presentable wheels suitable for this car.
Ok I see now...the combo of the wheel tire. Im going to speak with the executive something from mbz and see what they say. If they say no then I'll go for this in the meantime until it gets to lemon law point lol.