S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

s63/cl63/clk63 black-base price confirmed...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 01:15 AM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
Doubt CLK63BS will be a marketing success....perhaps can "pre-sell" 300 copies at MSRP to some buyers/speculators during initial hype , but one-yr resale values really define brand image...and loyalties of repeat buyers of $100K+ AMGs....

Suspect it will have 50% trade-in value in one yr; most track guys are financially limited and 997GT3/RS (or coming 430CS) taps out most guys....and GT3/RS and 430CS are likely to have far lower deprec costs than a CLK63BS...and haven't seen back-to-back comparos of BS vs GT3/RS to know if it's even competitive on a track perf basis.....

Besides, CLK is an ancient body/tech platform....seemingly, some 50%+ of secretaries/hairdressers in SiliconValley or LA drive some used CLK (w/tinted windows and aftermkt wheels of course ).....and this CLK63BS looks like what a ricer (who works at BestBuy and lives w/Mommy) developed with his pals at Vinny's aftermkt shop, starting w/a bargain-priced, used CLK.....just tint the windows, chrome the wheels, recline the driver's seat back and super-size the cupholders to finish the "look"....
Old 04-16-2007, 07:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL65, E55T, Pending S65
Originally Posted by WSH
Doubt CLK63BS will be a marketing success....perhaps can "pre-sell" 300 copies at MSRP to some buyers/speculators during initial hype , but one-yr resale values really define brand image...and loyalties of repeat buyers of $100K+ AMGs....

Suspect it will have 50% trade-in value in one yr; most track guys are financially limited and 997GT3/RS (or coming 430CS) taps out most guys....and GT3/RS and 430CS are likely to have far lower deprec costs than a CLK63BS...and haven't seen back-to-back comparos of BS vs GT3/RS to know if it's even competitive on a track perf basis.....

Besides, CLK is an ancient body/tech platform....seemingly, some 50%+ of secretaries/hairdressers in SiliconValley or LA drive some used CLK (w/tinted windows and aftermkt wheels of course ).....and this CLK63BS looks like what a ricer (who works at BestBuy and lives w/Mommy) developed with his pals at Vinny's aftermkt shop, starting w/a bargain-priced, used CLK.....just tint the windows, chrome the wheels, recline the driver's seat back and super-size the cupholders to finish the "look"....

If one year resale values define the brand then ALL luxury/performance mfg's are in big trouble other than perhaps Ferrari. Have you checked the resale on a Lamborghini in a while or a Porsche CGT.

Speculators are a huge issue here. They ****** up inventory of limited production cars and charge huge premiums that one will never recover.

This is a great topic actually. I can't tell you how many posts I see on this site asking how much can I get a certain AMG under MSRP. I have even done it myself. What do you think is happening to the resale values when we can buy the car under MSRP? Everyone wants to buy the car as cheaply as they can bu then complain when it is not worth MSRP when they try and sell it. We can have both. Cars like this are not an investment buy them because you love them.

The the guys that are buying GT3RS's and 430CS are not financially limited. Those guys are buying much lesser track cars. You have got to be kidding me. I might even argue that these are not the same target as the CLK63BS.

You have some serious issue to resolve if you think this car is ricer.

The people that will make the call on if the CLK63BS is a great car are the people that will own one. Not the magazines the couch racers or the dreamers.

What I really find funny is that so many people, including me, want AMG to bring products like this to market in the US and then when they do people bash them for this and that.

My prediction is that it will do well and might even be worth more than 50% after a year. I will let you know because that will be about as long as I will keep mine. If you don't like the car, don't buy it. It probably wasn't built for you.

Last edited by Schiznick; 04-16-2007 at 07:24 AM.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
Originally Posted by Schiznick
If one year resale values define the brand then ALL luxury/performance mfg's are in big trouble other than perhaps Ferrari. Have you checked the resale on a Lamborghini in a while or a Porsche CGT.

Speculators are a huge issue here. They ****** up inventory of limited production cars and charge huge premiums that one will never recover.

This is a great topic actually. I can't tell you how many posts I see on this site asking how much can I get a certain AMG under MSRP. I have even done it myself. What do you think is happening to the resale values when we can buy the car under MSRP? Everyone wants to buy the car as cheaply as they can bu then complain when it is not worth MSRP when they try and sell it. We can have both. Cars like this are not an investment buy them because you love them.

The the guys that are buying GT3RS's and 430CS are not financially limited. Those guys are buying much lesser track cars. You have got to be kidding me. I might even argue that these are not the same target as the CLK63BS.

You have some serious issue to resolve if you think this car is ricer.

The people that will make the call on if the CLK63BS is a great car are the people that will own one. Not the magazines the couch racers or the dreamers.

What I really find funny is that so many people, including me, want AMG to bring products like this to market in the US and then when they do people bash them for this and that.

My prediction is that it will do well and might even be worth more than 50% after a year. I will let you know because that will be about as long as I will keep mine. If you don't like the car, don't buy it. It probably wasn't built for you.
........I agree that we want AMG to bring their European offerings to the US. I think AMG might have misunderstood what we want. We want the different options and choices available in Europe. Holding back the CLK63 coupe and only introducing the black series really limits the options for would be CLK buyers. I think the problem from my point of view, is not the introduction of the black series CLK63 but the lack of introduction to the US market, of the regular CLK63 coupe. If the CLK63 coupe were here, then AMG could price the black series for $200K if it wanted and fewer will complain.

Ted

Ted
Old 04-16-2007, 09:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL65, E55T, Pending S65
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
........I agree that we want AMG to bring their European offerings to the US. I think AMG might have misunderstood what we want. We want the different options and choices available in Europe. Holding back the CLK63 coupe and only introducing the black series really limits the options for would be CLK buyers. I think the problem from my point of view, is not the introduction of the black series CLK63 but the lack of introduction to the US market, of the regular CLK63 coupe. If the CLK63 coupe were here, then AMG could price the black series for $200K if it wanted and fewer will complain.

Ted

Ted
Ted, I get your point. I think the real issue is that the price point for the CLK63's is all screwed up. I have always considered the CLK63 as an alternative for the M3. If the CLK63 Coupe was priced in the 65K to 75K range it would be a killer car. My original CLK55 at 69K was just6 about right. More than the M3 but you got more for the money.

Would anyone buy a CLK63 Coupe at 85K? The base price of the CLK63 Cab is 90K. Something is messed up here, why is the CLK platform so expensive?

From what I have read so far in the press release the Black Series has a completely redesigned suspension system and some really trick parts. If it has all that the press release says, one will probably find a home next to the SL65.

If it runs like the F1 Pace car and sounds like it, I am in

Schiz
Old 04-16-2007, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
I agree, the CLK63 price is screwy and its a blatant rip off from MB. That's why its not a popular model in the AMG line up.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
I have never read so much complaining over nothing. This car will sell out in no time and it wouldn't matter if it was 100K or 135K, to the people who can afford this car, 35K is nothing. People don't buy the CLK coupe so we don't get the CLK63 Coupe. Funny how people claim so much demand is there, yet no one actually buys the model in question. MBUSA can't bring over a certain model because a few people think they should, they need actual buyers. The CLK63 Black Series will do just that and at a hefty premium. Mission accomplished. Now if the Black Series causes some serious noise about the regular CLk63 Coupe then it might come over, but I doubt it. The 2 cars really have absolutely nothing to do with each other. AMG decided long ago to do special version of certain MB models and MBUSA's decision not to sell the regular CLK63 coupe here had nothing to do with AMG's plans. Both cars will be on sale at the same time elsewhere in the world.

M