S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Off subject but you guys have great input on autos in general

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 01:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 S63
Off subject but you guys have great input on autos in general

so the lease is just about up on the wife's X5 4.4 and she really wants a new X5 4.8 with the new body style (although subtle) and I since I drive the other car a lot (camping trips, snowboarding/skiing trips, w the dogs, etc) I am trying to sway her into letting me get a range rover sport supercharged. I know the horse power is less but I just love the lines and look. Any input on the new beamers against the range rover? we looked at the cayenne as well but she hates it. I have owned benz's and beamers for years but never a rover and want the change of pace. what do you guys think?
Old 05-30-2007, 06:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
Originally Posted by noxxin
... what do you guys think?
I drove the Range Rover diesel V8 the other day, and the BMW X5 4.8i the other week:

I know it's not the RR Sport Supercharged, but the quality of the interior is the same and this RR diesel is positioned right next to the Supercharged.

As for quality and detail of the interior I'd have to say: X5, this was the first BMW I drove of which I approved of the interior.

As for ride quality, I'd have to scream: X5. No contest. How they do it I don't know, but it is very impressive.

As for looks: It's personal. However, when driving the RR by chance I parked it next to the new X5, and the X5 has more presence in person, the RR looks rather small.

If you really fancy a RR, at least get a real one, otherwise I'd advice the X5.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 E 350, 2012 GLK 350, 2012 C300 4matic
Can't comment on the RR but my sister has both the onld and new X5 and the new car is so far superior there is no comparison.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:56 AM

S55 AMG '06
I've driven both the X5 4.8 and the supercharged Rover, and I strongly urge you to go drive the Audi Q7 4.2 or the V12 TDI if you want more of the exclusive factor. The Range feels like a truck and is amazingly slow for that much HP. And EVERYBODY has one now it seems. The X5 hasn't changed really in 5 or 6 years...such a minor facelift on the new version.

I promise you...once you go see the lines of the Audi with their sport package, see the interior ergonomics, fun gadgets, Bang and Olufsen sound system...you'll be sold. Here is a link to the V12 TDI...thing is a MONSTER.

http://www.audiusa.com/audi/us/en2/e...7_v12_tdi.html
Old 05-30-2007, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
I have an RRS S/C and love it. It not as big as the new X5, as it doesn't have third row seats. And I'm sure it doesn't have all the gizmos the X5 has (iDrive). But it's got to be, hands down, the best looking SUV out there. The S/C isn't as fast but its hauling a lot of weight, which make the RRS feel very, ummm, regal. Very tight package, and I've not had one problem in the year I've had it. One thing I love is the standard air suspension, which you can lower the car with and the active suspension that makes it corner very flat. I say go for a test drive.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:01 PM

S55 AMG '06
Hey Norb:

Agreed that it is a beautiful SUV on the exterior, but don't you think the interior layout is a little wacky? When I drove it I was very bothered by the positioning of the NAV screen so far up on the dash...kind of set back a little. I felt the ergonomics were off a bit. It was a reach to get to the screen. The salesman who took me out for a drive told me they were going to change that in future updates of the car, but it hasn't happened yet.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:27 PM

S65 Renntech'd, GL450, Super Charged Range Rover
I've had an X5 4.4 which was just ok...

I then bought a G55 and I loved the power, the sound, but it was way to rough...

I've had an HSE Super Charged Ranger Rover for about 4 months now and I like it. The look of the HSE vs the sport is much better in my opinion. The interior of my Range looks cheap compared to my GL450 or my S65, but it rides smooth and is quiet. I wouldn't touch the Sport, because of the room.

I borrowed my friends Cayenne Turbo S last week and I liked it much better than all 3 vehicles. Quiet, quick, comfortable and looks cool.

Each vehicle obviously can serve a different purpose, but over all the Cayenne was the best.

The Range is quiet, but looks cheap on the inside (knobs, dials, a lot of plastic everywhere).

G55 was the most fun to drive, but is just too bouncy... doors are hard to shut, it's loud and rough, like a Jeep.

X5... Would never own ever again.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:11 PM

For what it;s worth, I think the RR Sport is the best looking of the bunch. I am partial (my wife has a Range Rover full size) but love the look of the sport, and really like driving the Rover (much more than i thought). X5 still looks really boring to me
Old 05-30-2007, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by noxxin
so the lease is just about up on the wife's X5 4.4 and she really wants a new X5 4.8 ...
There's a very strong clue built into your post.

Why debate it, you know what you should do!
Old 05-30-2007, 05:07 PM

2008 S63
Originally Posted by DFW01E55
There's a very strong clue built into your post.

Why debate it, you know what you should do!
Very wise statement my friend!! I will hit the rest of you guys back later when I have more time. Thanks for the awesome comments everyone.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63 AMG
I'd rather have a touchscreen than BMW's iDrive. Fast and efficient. I don't have a problem reaching it. I will say that the RRS interior isn't as oppulent as other SUVs, but again, I love the straight forward design of the interior, not a whacky curve to be found. Very masculine.

The full size RR seems a bit dowdy to me. I would rate the interior of the RRS as big as the Touareg/Cayenne. And, not that it matters, the RRS trumps all of the other SUVs when going off roading. Did I mention I think its the best looking SUV out there?
Old 05-30-2007, 06:07 PM

S55 AMG '06
Don't let DFW guilt you into it man! Get the one you want and buy her a tennis bracelet...problem solved. Car talk is no time for ethics!! How has NOBODY commented on that V12 Audi with 738 ft. lb of torque...those are S65/SLR #s. Is it just me or is that thing mean? Granted it's twice the price of the RRS or 4.8, but you pay to play. Seriously, you drive by a house that has two cars in the driveway and what do you think:

S63 and X5 4.8 = that guy has some nice cars
S63 and Range Rover = that guy has some gorgeous cars
S63 and V12 Q7 = that guy is a crazy car enthusiast
S63 and DB9 = can you adopt me
S63 and Murcielago = that guys an a*shole
Old 05-30-2007, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63 AMG
That last one is funny!

What about one with a Porsche Turbo?
Old 05-30-2007, 07:33 PM

Something on 4 wheels..
Originally Posted by peebs1
Don't let DFW guilt you into it man! Get the one you want and buy her a tennis bracelet...problem solved. Car talk is no time for ethics!! How has NOBODY commented on that V12 Audi with 738 ft. lb of torque...those are S65/SLR #s. Is it just me or is that thing mean? Granted it's twice the price of the RRS or 4.8, but you pay to play. Seriously, you drive by a house that has two cars in the driveway and what do you think:

S63 and X5 4.8 = that guy has some nice cars
S63 and Range Rover = that guy has some gorgeous cars
S63 and V12 Q7 = that guy is a crazy car enthusiast
S63 and DB9 = can you adopt me
Hmm, has the V12 Q7 launched already? I guess I missed something...
Old 05-30-2007, 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 ML BT
Don't let DFW guilt you into it man!
Bahahaha! Peebs brings out the bachelor in me.
It took 32 years but I need to go straighten out my wife!

She needs the Cayenne Turbo S with K-24's, an exhaust and HRE's!

She'll be happy or else!

Thanks Peebs!
Old 05-30-2007, 09:37 PM

S55 AMG '06
In the bachelor world DFW we call that "the pimp hand". Use as needed.

You can pre-order the V12 Audi...not sure exactly when it lands here in the states, but I think sometime soon.

The guy with the S63 and the '07 911 Turbo is an A*shole too, but at least he might take you for a ride in it sometime.

Clearly I'm only kidding...only Lexus drivers are A*sholes.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:46 PM

2008 S63
I went back and forth w her last night for an hour and there's no way she's letting me get the RR Sport Supercharged she says it's too small and slow. She said she would take a regular RR Supercharged but my budget for wifey is no more then 80k which is already way more car then she needs. She already treats the beautiful loaded 4.4 like junk, scratched the black wood, paint, rims and I'm always cleaning it up after her. If she keeps this nonsense up she's getting a damn Kia!! I loved the tennis bracelet idea but I just got her an eternity ring for our anniversary and she has enough bling as it is. We aren't rappers!!! As always thanks for the great posts guys.

Just took new photos of my S63 will post in a new thread.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Going from an X5 she'll need something with low amounts of body roll. That rules out the proper Range Rover. I had one and loved it but it was not a drivers drive. The RR Sport S/C corners much more flat and also has great Brembo brakes. It also has 385bhp. It looks great from the front and side (rear is a bit iffy) but is the best looking SUV imo. As others have said, off road it is peerless and that's important as soft roaders are ridiculous, even if you're never going off the pavement. The RRS is 2 1/2 tonnes so is heavy but that's because it has a lot of off road technology but this also means it is very secure in the event of an accident. In fact, there's no vehicle i'd rather crash in as it will protect you even if it's another SUV you hit.

The new X5 looks too much like the X3.. However, if that's what she wants then there's no doubt it will be a good buy and is quick and fun to drive.

Final suggestion- the facelifted Cayenne S. 385bhp and the recent facelift has done to the Cayenne what the 750i did to the 745i- made it desirable.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
G63 AMG, SL65 AMG, CLS550, S550, Tesla Model S Performance, Challenger SRT8
Range Rover > X5.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 ML BT
In the bachelor world DFW we call that "the pimp hand". Use as needed.
Good one!
Back in the day, we called it the Ike slap - apply to Tina as needed!

Later to be known as the b!tch slap.

Just for the record, no physical harm intended or ever applied, this is only for yuks.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63 AMG
Tell her that the RRS's safety features were developed by Volvo, which is true. Very safe. Also its not made in South Carolina, but actually from Europe. Also, if you have kids the headrest mounted DVD monitors, kick *** on the armrest mounted one on the new X5. It can also forge in 28 inches of water! That's deep.

Last edited by norb; 05-30-2007 at 10:35 PM.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:43 PM

S55 AMG '06
Okay...my final offer. Take her to drive the Audi Q7 4.2 (fully loaded is about $69k MSRP) and tell her that Lindsay Lohan just bought one. I know women don't seem to get that Audi holds equal prestige as BMW these days, so you have to coax them a bit. And it has that side view assist which women dig for some reason. Women hate blind spots...it's a fact...just looked it up. I am 94% confident that once you or she drive it, you'll buy it. No, I don't work for Audi...I just like the direction they're going in these days. And if I'm wrong, I will send you the uncensored version of Ice Cube's greatest hits to add to your rap collection...on the house.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Okay...my final offer. Take her to drive the Audi Q7 4.2 (fully loaded is about $69k MSRP) and tell her that Lindsay Lohan just bought one. I know women don't seem to get that Audi holds equal prestige as BMW these days, so you have to coax them a bit. And it has that side view assist which women dig for some reason. Women hate blind spots...it's a fact...just looked it up. I am 94% confident that once you or she drive it, you'll buy it. No, I don't work for Audi...I just like the direction they're going in these days. And if I'm wrong, I will send you the uncensored version of Ice Cube's greatest hits to add to your rap collection...on the house.
I love Audis, and especially the image they convey, but the Q7 is ugly and does not have the on road prowess to match the X5 or the off road prowess to match the Range Rover.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:59 PM

2008 S63
those photos are awesome!!! I spoke to my buddy earlier who works for the Land Rover PR agency and he has invited us to a Range Rover "Experience" in mid June in Malibu so I made her promise to go with me and that we wouldn't make any decisions until we both drive the cars on the off road course they are setting up. I just got off the phone w her and I got her this far!!!!! Im going to do some homework on the audi and cruise by the dealer this week to see for myself but I honsetly don't like the body. Like our man Cube says "today was a good day".
Old 05-30-2007, 11:37 PM

S55 AMG '06
You're dead to me Carl. Okay okay...clearly looks are subjective (except in the case of Noxxin's S63 which is empirically insane). And you're entitled to your opinion Carl, even though you're wrong. Juuust kidding dude. Honestly though, the performance and handling stats for the 4.2 Q7 and 4.8 X5 are virtually identical. X5 is quicker to 60, Q7 quicker in the 1/4 mile, brake within three feet of each other, similar slalom...I think it's just one of those perception things. Only thing I liked more about driving the X5 was the steering seemed more responsive...really did feel more like a "driver's car", even though performance-wise they're so close. The Q felt like a better blend of luxury and performance to me.

Have you driven the RS4 yet to replace your S4?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Off subject but you guys have great input on autos in general