S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

S63 noise when shifting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 S63
S63 noise when shifting

fellow S63ers - I noticed last night that with the door open when shifting from park into drive, reverse or back into park there is a very strange and almost like a bumping sounding noise. I only hear it with the door open and not when sitting in the car with the doors shut. Is this normal? Has anyone else noticed any noise when shifting like this? I didn't hear the noise when shifting the paddle shifters when in drive and S mode with my foot on the brake. Thanks!
Old 06-19-2007, 08:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 E 350, 2012 GLK 350, 2012 C300 4matic
Noxxin - just checked it out - with the door open and the radio on mute there is a very subtle noise when shifting that way. Also an additional very subtle noise with the parking brake. I do not think I would have heard them with the door open and the radio on let alone with the door closed. My sense is it's entirely normal - the gears do need to move and brake engage.

Eddie
Old 06-20-2007, 01:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 S63
Originally Posted by Eddie Knopp
Noxxin - just checked it out - with the door open and the radio on mute there is a very subtle noise when shifting that way. Also an additional very subtle noise with the parking brake. I do not think I would have heard them with the door open and the radio on let alone with the door closed. My sense is it's entirely normal - the gears do need to move and brake engage.

Eddie
Hey Eddie - I spoke to my service advisor today and he said these cars have a computer/electrical shifter and that this noise is normal and should sound different then most cars that use actual mechanical parts to shift. It still doesn't sound subtle to me and I want them to double check it and the transmission when I bring the car in for the 1k service on Friday.