S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Review S63 after 1 Month

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB S63 08 Iridium Silver, Panoramic roof, Distronic Plus
Review S63 after 1 Month

Here is general feedback from a former Audi A8L owner relating to the S63. First I must add a disclaimer which is that I have had the car for a month, and am still at mile 683, and will need to add a few miles before really testing the full power and acceleration. Right off the bat, this is an exceptional piece of equipment. The AMG tuned motor sounds magnificent and is already adapting to my driving style. The most interesting aspect is the seamless automatic downshifting that you can hear and feel better than any car I have previously owned. I have only been using in Comfort mode and will play with sport mode after my 1000th mile. I bought this car for the 4 doors and new technology which is far better than anything out there on a production car. Best feature by far is the distronic plus which I believe is a must have and makes me smile every time I use it (regularly). Have tested it on the NJ Turnpike, Parkway and Lincoln tunnel… works all the way to a stop… even in pouring rain. Another amazing feature is the warning when driving and the car senses an object approaching too fast. This has helped me when my attention may have been diverted. Relating to seating, I have yet to find the perfect seat position but still enjoy the massage function. Even after a month I have not been able to figure out all the functions (ie AMG Stop Watch and Timer) and enjoy the ongoing mystery and discovery. That is an important word: “Discovery.” I recently discovered the temperature digital read out and noticed “blue” when cool and white when war… and presume “red” (which I hope to never see) when too hot! The NAV system compares well with Audi and now incorporates real-time traffic though still need to learn more about functions. I had some difficulty “pairing” my Blackberry 8800 at delivery, but after wiping out “telenav” from my blackberry… pairs perfectly. Simple and great toy. IPOD, Sirius, Cd and DVD (yup I have the DVD) all work great and the actual sound of the DVD is exceptional (better than Sirius). One touch roof open is fine but can’t seem to have one touch close. I have noticed that the wheels get a lot of brake dust but that is normal… just need a good detailer to clean. Interior seat leather is soft and general detail is fine… I do agree that interior dash could have been better leather but love the Alcantara headliner…nice feel and nice ambiance. Keyless Go is great and like interior lighting… not sure about the “orange” fiber optic but better than “purple” The car is unique and can’t sing enough praise about distronic plus. It is a must have. This is first month and am available to debate or discuss. Enjoy!
Old 08-02-2007, 09:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 E 350, 2012 GLK 350, 2012 C300 4matic
Rob - You need to go out and drive, only 683 miles :-( , I'm up to 4500 :-) . Put her in sport and leave her there till the winter - you can also play with M (Noxxin has lots of experience with that). Thanks again for the BB help.

Most of all ENJOY !!!!
Old 08-02-2007, 11:01 AM

'08 sl65 08 c63 '06
Love The S6

It's just a really outstanding product. By the way: do you have the Performance Package?

By the way Eddie: I appreciate your response to my question on the S63 Performance Package. I have spoken with MB directly and they say that it DOES have a limited slip as does the same package on the SL and the E63s.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:24 PM

MB S63 08 Iridium Silver, Panoramic roof, Distronic Plus
No performance package for me... enough car already :-)
Old 08-02-2007, 01:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 E 350, 2012 GLK 350, 2012 C300 4matic
Vallie - Regarding the LSD - there is nothing to indicate in the paperwork that it does, while with the E it is specifically indicated. If you search out older posts there are discussions concerning it.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:39 PM
DHH

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Panamera Turbo, R63, "71 280SL
Per my dealer - pano roof does not have one touch close...I already asked them about that.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:17 AM

2008 S63
hey guys - i have found that manual downshifting in both S and M is critical if you want a quick jolt in acceleration at any speed. coming from 2 previous 55engine models where you could just kick down the gas and feel instant pull and G force, the 7 speed auto tranny seems to have a real lag when forcing gas pedal kick-down in regular auto mode. I am getting my new transmission ecu module next week which is supposed to improve shift times dramatically so i guess i'll just have to wait and see.

eddie - i tried reverse on a hill the other day and it worked fine. have you gotten any racing fuel yet? my car has been running like a beast on the 76 101 unleaded octane i got at the pump. the best part is my garage smells like pit road after i pull in.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:54 AM

'07 S550 w/ AMG Package
I must say tho that Noxxins S63 is the nicest one Ive ever seen. (i kno its off topic but i just saw his pic....absolutely gorgeous!)