S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Air filters

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 09:32 AM

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts
'03 S55 (79K miles)
Air filters

The simple task of replacing my '03 S55 AMG engine's air intake filters (one for each bank) has taken me on a long and arduous journey.

Be advised, the original air filters that were in my airboxes were marked as MANN P/N C3689, and also had the AMG logo in ink next to the p/n.

I got pissed off at the dealer for asking $50 each, so I went on a hunt. It is pretty hard to find MANN C3689.

DO NOT BUY THE MANN C3698. The media on these are too tall. Even though they have the right length and width, they do not fit snuggly in the airbox. I think these are for the SL55, which apparently has a slightly taller airbox. But those filters get crushed when you screw the lids down. There's no room left for air to flow, and who knows how well the seals can be holding under suction when the SC kicks in.

At least one of the OTHER dealers I went to tried to sell me the incorrect C3698, and nearly all the online parts suppliers had the same faulty look-up database for these parts. AutoZone and PepBoys also had the wrong info in their computers. They recommended STP's and Fram's, but they were all the wrong size (matched the C3698 instead of C3689). www.allgermanparts.com did not have them, though their prices for the cabin air filters and charcoal cabin filters were pretty good. Owner said he'd get the right ones on order...for $40 each. Too much.

Repeating:

C3689 good. for the '03 S55AMG.
C3698 bad.

I ended up buying a pair of MANN C3689 from europartsamerica.com which looks it's connected to Promotrizint.com. $23.30 each. They fit.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:34 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
Just go with Green or K&N filters. Simple 5HP and the price is not that far off from paper one.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:09 PM

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts
'03 S55 (79K miles)
No thanks, Vadim.

I'm not into replacing fouled MAFs every year. K&N's let too much dirt by, and the oil impregnated in the media can get sucked away. I want my engine to last. I don't believe in the K&N hype.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 350
GrepAwk,

I am with you, I never did like the K&N filters. While I like the idea of being able to reuse the filter I think OE filters or any replacement pleated paper filters get more particles out of the air. I feel this is more important than squeezing a little more power out of the engine as it keeps certain problems away. Then again, I like cars to be stock anyway. I realize there are different viewpoints on this and do not want to start an argument on here. In my eyes most of the part choices the OEs make are for a reason. I guess you can tell that I have been working for an OE parts company before.

Anyway, thanks for the purchase. I am glad you finally found the correct filter on our site.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 S55 AMG
Originally Posted by GrepAwk
No thanks, Vadim.

I'm not into replacing fouled MAFs every year. K&N's let too much dirt by, and the oil impregnated in the media can get sucked away. I want my engine to last. I don't believe in the K&N hype.
Understand your concern on the fouled MAFs but these cars dont have them, we have MAP sensors and they cannot be fouled by that.

Dixit