S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

06 S65 Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 S65 AMG, 2006 Chrylser 300 SRT-8, 2001 Saleen Convertible S281SC
06 S65 Questions

Hi,

I am new to the forum, and hopefully within a week I will have a 2006 S65 AMG in my stable, along side my Chrysler SRT-8, and Saleen S281SC.

This is going to my first MB. A week ago I test drove a 2006 S65 AMG, and all I can say is WOW. After that test drive, I decided I have to have this car. So, before I finalize everything, I just have a few questions? I am somewhat knowledgeable in "do it yourself" stuff, when it pertains to the simple things. I change my own oil in my current cars. How is the difficulty of the oil changing process in the S65? Also what kind of oil filters and oil do you recommend, and where is a good place to purchase them. I was at my local Kragen, and they do not carry the oil filter for the S55 or S65. Also, I am getting a used S65 with 25,000 miles on it. I will be the second owner, and was wondering how can I get an extended warranty? I am not purchasing the car from a MB dealer, so that is why I ask. Are there any good after market warranties that will cover the S65? Other than that, Any input or advise you can give would be greatly appreciated.

I really don't know much about the car, but driving it got me addicted to it. Hopefully I will have it soon, and come on here and ask questions, to learn more and more about this stunning vehicle. Thanks.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 Mercedes-Benz CLS63 AMG S
first of all I'm almost positive you will not be able to change the oil yourself. I believe you need special tools only a MB tech has to do it. If you want my advice, even if you could do it yourself don't bother. It's best to document your oil changes at a MB dealership in case anything happens to the engine. They expect you to keep up with the oil changes and warranty could be an issue if they don't do the service. AMG recommends 0W 30 if I remember correctly. The dealers use big vats of oil for the regular cars but for the AMG's they actually use the individual quarts as the oil is more pure this way according to my service adviser.

Call your local MB dealer and ask to speak with the extended warranty people. You won't get a MB warranty but an afermarket one. I feel it's best to get the extended warranty for the dealership you plan to service the car at because you probably won't have as much trouble getting the claim paid for since you bought it through them. After market warranties could be a nightmare I've heard. I know Chrysler has one that may be OK. Do a google search for it but I would go with the one from your MB dealer. Good luck.

I use to have a 2006 S65 and it was a great car. That and the CL are the most comfortable ride you will ever get. I sold my S65 for a 2005 CL65 because I personally don't like the look of the old S class. It had nice room but it was way too boxy looking for me. The ride and the power are definitely intoxicating however.

Larry
Old 10-08-2007, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S65 Renntech'd, GL450, Super Charged Range Rover
You also have to remember that you only have to change the oil every 10,000 miles. IMO it's worth paying 3-400 bucks to have the car looked over and serviced. Great peice of mind. It's not your typical oil change....
Old 10-10-2007, 01:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 305 Likes on 224 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by ms2knights
Hi,

I am new to the forum, and hopefully within a week I will have a 2006 S65 AMG in my stable, along side my Chrysler SRT-8, and Saleen S281SC.

This is going to my first MB. A week ago I test drove a 2006 S65 AMG, and all I can say is WOW. After that test drive, I decided I have to have this car. So, before I finalize everything, I just have a few questions? I am somewhat knowledgeable in "do it yourself" stuff, when it pertains to the simple things. I change my own oil in my current cars. How is the difficulty of the oil changing process in the S65? Also what kind of oil filters and oil do you recommend, and where is a good place to purchase them. I was at my local Kragen, and they do not carry the oil filter for the S55 or S65. Also, I am getting a used S65 with 25,000 miles on it. I will be the second owner, and was wondering how can I get an extended warranty? I am not purchasing the car from a MB dealer, so that is why I ask. Are there any good after market warranties that will cover the S65? Other than that, Any input or advise you can give would be greatly appreciated.

I really don't know much about the car, but driving it got me addicted to it. Hopefully I will have it soon, and come on here and ask questions, to learn more and more about this stunning vehicle. Thanks.
Having the dealer change the oil and check the car out is cheap insurance. When something breaks, it's very expensive to fix. You're right to be concerned about a warranty.

Finding one will be very hard. You at least have until 48,000 miles or 4 years from original delivery on the factory warranty. For peace of mind to 100,000 and up to 7 years, the only reliable game in town for an S65 is the Starmark warranty from a dealer. That's why they get more, and for this car it's worth it in my opinion. An ABC suspension problem can easily run $5,000 and the engine costs something like $75,000 if it ever blows up. Nothing on these cars is cheap to fix, and the electrical gremlins have a way of showing up at the same time the warranty expires.

Also consider that the oil change / standard A and B services are the least of your maintenance concerns. I get 10,000 miles out a pair of rear tires, at around $600/pair. You might not drive with, shall we say, as much spirit as I do, in which case your might get 15,000 miles. But don't count on it. And don't forget 12 or 13 MPG.

A front brake job is $3,000, assuming you need rotors -- and you will. At 60,000 miles you have to replace all 24 spark plugs and wires. What do you think that will cost?

It's an addictive car, no argument. You'll love it. Just go in with your eyes open to the costs of operating it.