S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

New S55 AMG Owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes S55 AMG
New S55 AMG Owner

Hello all,

New member here. Just bought an 03 S55 AMG (black/black) with 52k miles on it and loving it so far. The weather's been a bit crappy here in Michigan so far, so I haven't really been able to drive the car much (I need snow tires - the car came with the stock performance wheels), but just hearing the engine sound when you turn on the car, and seeing how fast this car can accelerate is amazing (and scary at the same time!) :-) It's like Chrysler's ad on TV - "when you turn on your car, does it turn you on?" - most definitely so.

The car came with pretty much every option (parktronic, distronic, rear heated/cooling seats, rear reclining seats) except for the heated steering wheel and keyless go.

I had a few questions for the experienced owners here:

1) Snow tires - any recommendations? Blizzaks? Michelins?
2) Has anyone used Zeibart's Diamond Gloss detailing service? It says it protects the finish in inclement weather - how good is it? Does anyone know if it's worth the money?
3) In the winter, do most of you take the car to a car wash? Is it safe on the paint if it's not a touchless car wash?
4) Does anyone have a remote starter installed on the car? I heard that these can cause problems for the car later on. Is this true?

Any other ideas to keep the car running well, especially in Michigan's winter weather?

Thanks and I hope to participate more often now that I am a member.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whatever there's gas in...
Originally Posted by sumanchaudhuri
Hello all,

New member here. Just bought an 03 S55 AMG (black/black) with 52k miles on it and loving it so far. The weather's been a bit crappy here in Michigan so far, so I haven't really been able to drive the car much (I need snow tires - the car came with the stock performance wheels), but just hearing the engine sound when you turn on the car, and seeing how fast this car can accelerate is amazing (and scary at the same time!) :-) It's like Chrysler's ad on TV - "when you turn on your car, does it turn you on?" - most definitely so.

The car came with pretty much every option (parktronic, distronic, rear heated/cooling seats, rear reclining seats) except for the heated steering wheel and keyless go.

I had a few questions for the experienced owners here:

1) Snow tires - any recommendations? Blizzaks? Michelins?
2) Has anyone used Zeibart's Diamond Gloss detailing service? It says it protects the finish in inclement weather - how good is it? Does anyone know if it's worth the money?
3) In the winter, do most of you take the car to a car wash? Is it safe on the paint if it's not a touchless car wash?
4) Does anyone have a remote starter installed on the car? I heard that these can cause problems for the car later on. Is this true?

Any other ideas to keep the car running well, especially in Michigan's winter weather?

Thanks and I hope to participate more often now that I am a member.
Congratulations on the purchase! (The ad u mentioned was actually a Cadillac ad, but we get the idea!)

As for the remote start, stay away from it. Everywhere I took mine they told me "Theres too many electronics and features that go on just when you unlock/open the car door before the car is even started, what do you think would happen if the system was "broadsided" by starting it before it had a chance to do all these things?"

That was enough for me to change my mind. But who knows, maybe someone found a way. Either way, enjoy!
Old 12-12-2007, 08:23 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 S63=AMG: Black (Savanna/Cashmere) Kleeman Delimited 200MPH
Allways wash the car in the winter if you get road salts/etc. on it.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB, BMW
hi fellow michigander, congrats on your purchase. i have a E55 & i'm in ann arbor. happy driving!