S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

'07 S65 vs. '08 S65

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 S600 sold
'07 S65 vs. '08 S65

What are the major differences between the '07 S65 and the '08 S65? I know that the interior on the '08 has the diamond stitching on the seats and doors. I read that the nav system is much improved on the 08. Is this true? Has there been any changes to the suspension or engine?
Old 02-10-2008, 08:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1953 Fiat Topolino
re: MY08 S65...

I believe that all former 'options' are now standard on the MY08 S65, similar to the way MBUSA has 'packaged' the S600/CL600 since its intro to our market in MY07. Telematics has been updated with DVD, BirdsEye and Traffic Alerts as on all MY08 S and CL models, but this can be retrofitted to '07s. Since (approx) July-August '07 production of MY08 S65s, Blind Spot Assist and Parking Guidance (which replaces older Park Assist technology) has been added as part of the now standard 'Distronics Plus' on this vehicle. Will let others comment if there has been any improvements to the technical specifications of the car, but I know of none. Some new tire suppliers have apparently been added as OEM. AMG all leather steering wheel w/aluminum shift paddles still not available on the S65 from MBUSA for our market. Z356

Last edited by Z356; 02-10-2008 at 08:12 PM.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:27 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Z356 summarized it well....

Don't know of any engine/ABC changes....

IIRC, MB did implicitly lower MSRP on '08s by some ?$3K...comparing loaded '07 to loaded '08 MSRP pricing....

Pano roof is a polarizing feature....some particularly spec'd their '07s w/o Pano roof, as they didn't want to compromise roof strength (in any rollover)...and didn't like look from inside of the various cross-beams of Pano...but for '08 Pano is incld std, as are all '07 options (except iPod integr)...

Suspect major mkt arbitrage will be fact that new '08s are easily available for ?10% off MSRP....unlike new '07s which commanded MSRP in CA (at least early in launch back in Summ06)....

Haven't kept up w/65 lease terms; don't know if MBF is sweetening 2yr terms to move all these unsold, new '08 65s....
Old 02-10-2008, 11:18 PM

2010 S600 sold
Originally Posted by Z356
I believe that all former 'options' are now standard on the MY08 S65, similar to the way MBUSA has 'packaged' the S600/CL600 since its intro to our market in MY07. Telematics has been updated with DVD, BirdsEye and Traffic Alerts as on all MY08 S and CL models, but this can be retrofitted to '07s. Since (approx) July-August '07 production of MY08 S65s, Blind Spot Assist and Parking Guidance (which replaces older Park Assist technology) has been added as part of the now standard 'Distronics Plus' on this vehicle. Will let others comment if there has been any improvements to the technical specifications of the car, but I know of none. Some new tire suppliers have apparently been added as OEM. AMG all leather steering wheel w/aluminum shift paddles still not available on the S65 from MBUSA for our market. Z356
WSH & Z356: Great insight! If one wanted to upgrade to the new nav telematics, how would one go about doing it? Is it available at the dealer for a price or is it upgraded for free?
Old 02-10-2008, 11:34 PM

1953 Fiat Topolino
Trojan: You can do a search and find this topic discussed before on our Forum. For example: <https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=210521>. I wrote the following about a month or so back, with the help of other Forum members more technically knowledgeable. It will give you an idea of the process required. Quote: "Your '07 CL (or S) can be updated. Here is part of what I wrote in that thread which might give you an idea of what you need to do to get this update accomplished. "The first part is fairly easy. Acquire the latest navigation Navteq DVD BQ6460231 Harman Becker NTG3 (that would be v5.0 as of this date) and tell the MB adviser or shop foreman about bulletin #MBUSA DTB P-B-82.85/512d. But the second part is more complicated and fewer dealers know anything about it, yet it is the critical part of this 'puzzle'. "There are really two types of updates: The updated Navteq DVD and the telematics flash update. The Navteq update is done by just popping the new DVD in slot 1 of the changer and waiting 40 minutes for the update to complete. The telematics flash involves taking the car to the dealer where they update the entire telematics system using their DAS machine plus a special telematics flash CD called SD-Flash (the part number is (221-8274159). This procedure also takes about 40 minutes and updates the headunit, Sirius, Bluetooth puck, navigation subsystem, and even A/C controls. The way to do this has been to tell service that you tried to load your new Navteq DVD and it would not work and said that you needed your telematics firmware updated. You can just as easily tell them that you need the flash updated using the 'SD-Flash' CD. The CD is hard to find and each dealer usually gets one so there may only be one service guy at the dealer who is trusted with it." So, there it is. MB service advisers & technicians that don't know anything about this update procedure will tell you 'it can't be done', or 'has not yet been authorized', or invent any other excuse, just for you to go away and not bother them anymore since they are pretty busy people. Learn all you can from threads like this (what a great service & help this Forum has been to MB owners, don't you think?) and then help educate your MB dealer staff by patiently walking him/her through the whole process for updating your '07 S or CL Telematic's...one-step-at-a-time." Z356
The following users liked this post:
JJKCMO (05-07-2020)
Old 02-10-2008, 11:50 PM

2010 S600 sold
Originally Posted by Z356
Trojan: You can do a search and find this topic discussed before on our Forum. For example: <https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=210521>. I wrote the following about a month or so back, with the help of other Forum members more technically knowledgeable. It will give you an idea of the process required. Quote: "Your '07 CL (or S) can be updated. Here is part of what I wrote in that thread which might give you an idea of what you need to do to get this update accomplished. "The first part is fairly easy. Acquire the latest navigation Navteq DVD BQ6460231 Harman Becker NTG3 (that would be v5.0 as of this date) and tell the MB adviser or shop foreman about bulletin #MBUSA DTB P-B-82.85/512d. But the second part is more complicated and fewer dealers know anything about it, yet it is the critical part of this 'puzzle'. "There are really two types of updates: The updated Navteq DVD and the telematics flash update. The Navteq update is done by just popping the new DVD in slot 1 of the changer and waiting 40 minutes for the update to complete. The telematics flash involves taking the car to the dealer where they update the entire telematics system using their DAS machine plus a special telematics flash CD called SD-Flash (the part number is (221-8274159). This procedure also takes about 40 minutes and updates the headunit, Sirius, Bluetooth puck, navigation subsystem, and even A/C controls. The way to do this has been to tell service that you tried to load your new Navteq DVD and it would not work and said that you needed your telematics firmware updated. You can just as easily tell them that you need the flash updated using the 'SD-Flash' CD. The CD is hard to find and each dealer usually gets one so there may only be one service guy at the dealer who is trusted with it." So, there it is. MB service advisers & technicians that don't know anything about this update procedure will tell you 'it can't be done', or 'has not yet been authorized', or invent any other excuse, just for you to go away and not bother them anymore since they are pretty busy people. Learn all you can from threads like this (what a great service & help this Forum has been to MB owners, don't you think?) and then help educate your MB dealer staff by patiently walking him/her through the whole process for updating your '07 S or CL Telematic's...one-step-at-a-time." Z356
Outstanding advice! Does the dealership charge for their services or is it pro bono?
Old 02-11-2008, 12:06 AM

1953 Fiat Topolino
Trojan: I had it done to my '07 CL600 as part of the purchase deal I worked out with the dealer when I recently purchased the car in December. Most '07 S and CL owners will probably be asked to pay for the new 5.0 version of the Nav DVD for MY08...which is less than $200. The rest should be done as 'good will', "under warranty" or by any other name for 'free', including 'Pro Bono'. It depends on the type of relationship you have with your MB dealer. The most difficult part is not determining who pays...it's finding a MB dealer that knows how to do it correctly and has the Telematics SD-Flash CD! Z356.