S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

S55 AMG, ABS ESP BAS Brake light onCan't get it out of Park

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S55 AMG 2003
Unhappy S55 AMG, ABS ESP BAS Brake light onCan't get it out of Park

I returned from a trip where I left the car for 4 days in the parking lot. The battery was dead. Got the car jump started but messages in the display indicated: BAS ESP ABS malfunction. The car brake light was constantly on and I couldn't get it out of park. Had to get the car flatbedded home. Was this all caused from a dead battery? are there relay glitches? Help me before I go to the dealer. They always want to replace something instead of taking the time to find out what really is wrong.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:20 AM

W221
Originally Posted by rehabmd54
I returned from a trip where I left the car for 4 days in the parking lot. The battery was dead. Got the car jump started but messages in the display indicated: BAS ESP ABS malfunction. The car brake light was constantly on and I couldn't get it out of park. Had to get the car flatbedded home. Was this all caused from a dead battery? are there relay glitches? Help me before I go to the dealer. They always want to replace something instead of taking the time to find out what really is wrong.
Had similar situation with my C55 although my battery was never dead. Dealer couldn't figure out what the problem was (they never had this type of problem on C55 before). They consulted with other dealers and got a tip that something similar was happening on CLK55 and faulty wiring was the problem. It was claimed that electro-magnetic 'something' in the wires was causing the problem with one of the control modules. Again, that is what I remember so far, I can contact my dealer tommorow and get more specific info.
Good luck with your situation. Props to you for doing your research before going to dealer

Last edited by eugeneC55; 03-09-2008 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Look like your brake light switch might be malfunction, it triggers the lamp to stay on and drain the car battery. Stuck brake light switch would cause BAS/ESP/ABS warning like that.

Ask dealer to check it, it's only $10 part and 10 min to replace.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:44 AM

S55 AMG 2003
s55 2003 brake and rotors. Get from the dealer or on line

Rehabmd54
The problem ended up being a fuse and a contol module that needed to replaced. The dealer told be I needed a new command center for 4800.00 used. I stuck with my instincts and disagreed. The voltage issue was the button on the drivers door handle which was stuck...spent 250 for the handle and 750 for trouble shooting labor
Incedently the dealer tells me I need new pads and rotors. they want 2500.00 for the job. I usually take my car to a private mechanic who has 25 years experience with MB. Is there anywhere I can get the parts or should I have the dealer take more of my childrens tuition money
Old 04-09-2008, 10:43 PM

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts
'03 S55 (79K miles)
get the parts and go (run fast) to an independent shop

KYBenz quoted me about 6 months ago for pads (check with him for updated pricing)....

$224 front pads, $82 rears. didn't get rotor prices though.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:49 PM

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts
'03 S55 (79K miles)
And when you get a battery disconnect, remember to resynchronize all the motors and steering angle sensor.

Steering.....Turn steering wheel from locked left to locked right. Helps reset the ESP and Pre-Safe computer

Windows.....all the way down and hold switch down for 5 seconds, all the way up and hold for 5 seconds.

Sunroof.....close all the way. push button up and hold for 5 seconds. I forget how to reset the "one-button push open" feature. I think it's similar.

Power steering wheel column motors.....all the way into the dashboard and hold, all the way out at you and hold, all the way up and hold, all the way down and hold.

I didn't have to resynch my seats and headrests, but they are suspect too.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:58 AM

s55 AMG
Rehabmd54
The problem ended up being a fuse and a contol module that needed to replaced. The dealer told be I needed a new command center for 4800.00 used. I stuck with my instincts and disagreed. The voltage issue was the button on the drivers door handle which was stuck...spent 250 for the handle and 750 for trouble shooting labor
Incedently the dealer tells me I need new pads and rotors. they want 2500.00 for the job. I usually take my car to a private mechanic who has 25 years experience with MB. Is there anywhere I can get the parts or should I have the dealer take more of my childrens tuition money
Hey there, I'm having a similar issue recently, but no battery drain. My ABS light sometimes comes on and off. LIke if I turn off the car and turn it back on the ABS light goes away. Other times I get the BAS,ESP,SRS, and ABS all warnings show up. Could this be due to a faulty BRAke Light SWitch? Which Fuse and Control Module did you get replaced by the way?
Thanks.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:05 PM

s55 AMG
Originally Posted by zam2000
Look like your brake light switch might be malfunction, it triggers the lamp to stay on and drain the car battery. Stuck brake light switch would cause BAS/ESP/ABS warning like that.

Ask dealer to check it, it's only $10 part and 10 min to replace.
In my case my brake lights do work,but does have a faulty Brake light switch still allow the brake lights to work? I'm getting the BAS.ESP,ABS light on.