S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

S63 Configuration options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 11:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 S550 AMG with ABC
S63 Configuration options

I have been thinking about upgrading to the S63, and my dealer has been unable to find a vehicle configured in the color/options I want and suggested I order it...

The question I have for S63 owners, is where did you configure the options on your car (MBUSA.com points to the AMG web site, and the AMG web site does not have a configurator)? Or did most of you just take what was available at your dealer...

Have any of you ordered your S63, and if so how long did it take?

Also on the AMG web there is a picture of the S63 's front seats in PASSION leather. Is passion an actual MBZ interior color?
Old 07-08-2008, 12:54 AM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Others w/S63 will have more informed views re: ordering specs/logistics....

But would strongly encourage test-driving S63/600/65 to figure out what makes sense vs one's driving style/preferences....

63 is dynamically brilliant....but tq is just-adequate on fast, busy urban fwys....interior is abysmally plasticky, sort of like an E-Class or S550....

600 has notably superior and daily-enjoyable tq; less sharp brake pedal feel and chassis precision vs AMGs (but fine for 99% of straight-line driving)....much more elegantly finished interior vs 63 (fine-grained leather throughout).....codgerly exterior styling w/ricer-ish exhaust tips...smaller wheels/brakes make for more easily-fit winter tires (if needed in one's region)....

65 is quite addictive....combines dynamic attributes of AMG precision in steering/brakes/chassis, along w/legendary tq....and an elegantly finished interior and cool, perf limo exterior styling.....

Splitting hairs amongst 63/600/65....each of these cars is some 5yrs ahead of any other car in world in terms of overall tech/perf/safety/daily-useability......
Old 07-08-2008, 01:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Something on 4 wheels..
Originally Posted by irieblue
I have been thinking about upgrading to the S63, and my dealer has been unable to find a vehicle configured in the color/options I want and suggested I order it...

The question I have for S63 owners, is where did you configure the options on your car (MBUSA.com points to the AMG web site, and the AMG web site does not have a configurator)? Or did most of you just take what was available at your dealer...

Have any of you ordered your S63, and if so how long did it take?

Also on the AMG web there is a picture of the S63 's front seats in PASSION leather. Is passion an actual MBZ interior color?
Hi,

Although I neither own nor ordered a S63, I might be able to answer your questios:

- The best way to "configure" your S63 is actually the good old way - looking at the current brochure. As you pointed out correctly, the configurator on mbusa is not much of a help because it's not offered for that car. The brochure shows the colors and options, but don't rely on it. If your car can be built will be determined at your dealership (by the online-system). That's where you find out some of the insider-news (when I wanted to place an order, I wanted to get designo AND the Performance package. No problem according to the brochure, IMPOSSIBLE to order at the dealer).

- An order takes about 3 months - assuming your dealer has an allocation available (no waiting-list). I don't think the S63 has a waiting list right now.

- PASSION is a leather-grade and not a color. If I recall correctly, it's not available in the US. However, the S63 - being an AMG - comes with an upgraded and extended (also on dashboard) leather compared to the "Premium" leather used on the S550. The "Exclusive" and soft leather (extended, on dashboard AND rear shelf) comes standard on all v12-models and is available as designo option. All S-Class AMGs and V12s feature an Alcantara headliner, too.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:45 AM

s63, e55
with this horrible economy affecting automobile sales, and esp. luxury cars like the s63, you can probably expect to get your car ordered from Germany in shorter wait times than norm
Old 07-09-2008, 05:23 PM

Something on 4 wheels..
Originally Posted by hubitubi
with this horrible economy affecting automobile sales, and esp. luxury cars like the s63, you can probably expect to get your car ordered from Germany in shorter wait times than norm
Absolutely! BTW, if I would be in the market for such a car right now, I would get an almost new S65 for the same money (if not less) than a new S63. It would still be covered under warranty for the next few years so why not? No wait at all when doing that...
Old 07-09-2008, 08:31 PM

2020 GTR Roadster, 2020 GT63S
Once you make the decision to get an S63, and assuming your dealer has a "build slot" available, I think the 3 month time frame is pretty accurate.

As for configuring, if your dealer has a slot, you can sit in the dealership and go through the options list with them, as they "build" the car on MB's order system. There are not a lot of options and it is pretty simple to do. You also get the price as they do it. It's not the most convenient way of doing it, but at least you can see all the options.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:55 PM

2007 S550 AMG with ABC
I'll give my sales guy a call when he gets back in the office (he's out on medical leave ). I was just hoping to have some data in hand just in case they try to tell me certain options are not available as a build to order in the US.

For example, I have been told it isn't possible to get the Headrest DVD system on the S class, however it is available as an option when ordered in other countries.

I'm not sure I can swallow the S65 price tag. I'd be more inclined to keep my S550 and get a Nissan GTR