S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

keyless-go help!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 S55 AMG
keyless-go help!!!!

I just bought my first mercedes about 6 months ago and i have looked everywhere for a smart card i dont want to pay dealer prices for one but i dont know which one will work for my car i have a 2003 S55 AMG. I also would like to get a spare smart key which i see loads of them on ebay, but which one will work for my car. thanks for your help in advanced..
Old 04-15-2009, 09:39 AM

2018 S63
Red face Keyless-Go 2003 W220

I am in the same boat my friend - 2003 S55 AMG with Keyless-Go - I bought the car but didn't get the Keyless-Go Cards but really want to use the option. I am in the auto repair business and have connections with the MB stealership in my area and I have explored every possible option to get my Keyless-go functional again - Here is what I have come up with....

• Vehicles up to MY2003 equipped with the Keyless-Go function utilize a chip card type Keyless-Go system. These cars come with the smart key IN ADDITION TO the chip cards (key cards). The chip card is a credit card size (thicker) electronic card that operates the Keyless-Go. There are 2 of these FACTORY PROGRAMMED per car on vehicles up to MY2003 that are equipped with Keyless-Go.
  • MY2004 and up vehicles equipped with Keyless-Go went to an all in one smart key Keyless-Go system where the Keyless-Go functionality is contained all within the smart key. (Hold this thought)
  • MY2003 vehicles (all newer mercedes' in general) are on a smart key system where the keys are pre-programmed at the factory for the vehicle they are meant to start. Smart keys, (Keyless-Go cards for vehicles up to MY2003) once pre-programmed at the factory, will occupy unused "tracks" in the vehicle that they were pre-programmed for. From what I understand, and I believe posted elsewhere on this forum by mbworld user "whoover", there are 24 slots in the car, 3 rails with 8 tracks each.
Despite what anyone else has said or written to the contrary, I have found that Smart Keys and Keyless-Go cards must be pre-programmed at the factory for a particular car before those keys or cards can function with that car. I had to do the following in my quest to get my Keyless-Go back:

• Bring my car into the stealership to have them identify which tracks are occupied by my "missing" Keyless-Go Cards, my cards are on tracks 3 and 4. This involves a 1.5 - 2.5 hour diagnostic fee
  • Order a pair of Keyless-Go cards through the stealership service dept which are pre-programmed at the factory. My order had to placed through service even though I am getting a discount because the parts dept. will not assume liability if the replacement chip cards do not work with the car and they can not be returned to the factory. So, the MB tech identifies the tracks my "missing" cards are on (tracks 3 and 4) and then walks over to parts with the service advisor and my proof of ownership and places the order for my key cards.
  • Once the key cards come in, I have to bring the car back to service to have the car "learn" the replacement chip cards that were Pre-Programmed at the factory for my car.
  • When everything is said and done, I wouldn't be surpised if the final bill with my discount is $600-$700.
  • One last thing - remember I said hold that thought a while ago regarding the all in one key? Well, the all in one Keyless-Go key that comes on 2004 and up Keyless-Go vehicles is not compatible with the chip card system on 2003 and older Keyless-Go vehicles so if you want Keyless-Go functionality on vehicles up to and including MY2003, you must stick with the chip card system versus going to an all in one smart key.
Hope this helps!!!!
Old 06-10-2009, 08:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SL65
Dude........
Old 08-06-2009, 05:00 PM

2002 Mercedes Benz S55 AMG
I have a 2002 S55 AMG with smart card and it does not work with the vehicle, I believe the battery was replaced before I bought the car. Is it an easy job for dealer to just reset the original smart ? Any estimate on cost ?