S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Beware of the EIS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 01:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 GL450 2003 S55
Beware of the EIS

Last week I began to notice that, once in a while, my ignition key would get stuck for a second as I tried to turn it. On the second try, the key would turn and the car would start right up. But before long it took several tries to get it to turn at all. It felt like it was getting jammed.

My research on this forum and benzworld indicated that my electronic ignition system (EIS) was probably failing to recognize either of my keys. It was an occasional problem. The first thing I did was clean the sensors on the keys and ignition with a q-tip. It didn't work. The problem only got worse after I replaced the key batteries, which, as I've now learned, have nothing to do with the ignition system in a non-keyless-go car such as mine.

As the problem got even worse I began to wonder if I'd get stranded somewhere - the car was officially becoming unreliable at that point - so I took it to the MB dealer. He ran the codes and found no faults. Dealer said the car technically had nothing wrong with it so they couldn't order a new EIS - UGH! But fortunately the EIS system totally died right there at the shop. Codes, who need stinkin' codes!!

They replaced the EIS under the warranty and, as a nice bonus, I even got two brand new keys (the updated ones with metal trim - which match my GL450 keys. Now I have to label them.)

Long story short - if your ignition begins to stick when you turn the key, first see if the little red lenses in the key and the ignition are clean. If they are, get your EIS checked/replaced fast because it's only a short matter of time before it dies, about 1 week in my case. And once it totally dies absolutely nothing in the car will work. Apparently even towing it is very difficult.

Hope this helps someone down the line.

-qcar