S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

2003 S55 vs 2003 S600???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 10:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02 S55
I have an 02 S55, which isn't in the take for this conversation, but does allow me to have somewhat of an opinion, mainly based on model year.

I would seriously suggest 04+ from the interior electronics standpoint. I love my car so far, it was a big jump from the W140 228hp barn that I drove previously, which itself was the finest automobile I'd yet owned.

'03 and older cars have the now obsolete D2B fiber-optic network for audio/telematics in the car. As I understand it, MB was one of the industry pioneers with using fiber in cars, but by '04, an industry standard system (MOST) had been developed, and is in use by more than just MB.

What that means to the average owner is better upgradability, and availability of factory features and aftermarket add-ons. (I can't even get integrated Sirius/XM on my car...). Most S600's are gonna come stocked to the gills with options, but if something is missing and you want that feature, there are more and cheaper options for the MOST-based systems than for D2B-based systems.

As a quick example, I wanted to add iPod integration to my car, which has the Command audio system. It cost almost $600 for the adapter box (the Gateway 500). What that got me was a "CD Impersonator". I've had to disconnect my CD changer which is no big deal, as it's in the trunk, and I haven't listened to a CD in a car more than 5 times in the last 5 years. Now what I have is wonderfully clear iPod audio, but all I see on the Command display, and in the instrument cluster is "Track 5", with a timer that starts at 10 seconds and increases to 59 seconds, and starts over at 10 seconds. There is no way to display iPod text on a D2B-based Command system.... Truth be told I primarily use my iPod to listen to audio books, so it literally plays for days and days without my needing to change anything, but if I wanted it for music, I'd be stuck using the iPod to browse through the music, instead of the ideal situation of using the head unit or the steering wheel controls. As for Sirius, which I had on the previous MB via an aftermarket radio, my only options are to get a portable Sirius tuner and connect it to the "CD Impersonator" (which thankfully has RCA-in jacks), and I'll still have to use the Sirius tuner to change stations, etc.

For me, far from ideal, but better than nothing at all. I got a screamin' deal on my S55, but I spend a lot of time in the car, and occasionally I wish I'd waited a bit and found an '04+ S55.

If $ are a concern, wait 6 months and the '04's will be where the '03's are now. If we get another spike on oil prices, the S600's may be cheaper than the S55's... However, having said that, if $ are a concern, possibly an MB isn't a good choice to begin with. "There's nothing more expensive than a cheap Mercedes."
Old 10-21-2009, 01:48 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 S500 Sport
Originally Posted by FormulaZR
but I am currently working on a hillbilly homebuilt HE that should come in under $150; but it isn't complete yet.
What makes you think your HE will be better than the stock one on the CL600?
Old 10-21-2009, 02:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes
Originally Posted by Gondon
What makes you think your HE will be better than the stock one on the CL600?

Dimensions. The factory HE is about 241.5 cubic inches; the one I'm working on should have at least 520 up to 700, depending on what I actually get packaged. Packaging is dependent on getting the factory oil cooler moved forward about an inch. Same idea as the difference between a smaller 1 core brass/steel rad and a large 2 core aluminum rad.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sold - CLK500
services are far more expensive for the 600
Old 05-12-2010, 07:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A Mercedes obviously!
Originally Posted by mk4mike
services are far more expensive for the 600
Explain. At local dealer my 600 has the same Service A and B costs as a C230.
Old 11-07-2016, 01:44 PM

1996 Mercedes-Benz S420
Originally Posted by klex
alright, i LOVE the s55..pretty much anything AMG, but in terms of the w220, the ultimate bang for your buck would be an S600! Think of it, you get more for the same price of a 55. Plush and optioned out interior, same acceleration to 60 mph and walks the 55 stock to stock after 80mph!

although the s55 has a rumble like an american musclecar, an s-class is more like what an earlier poster said, a bullet train, delivering a quiet surge of accleration with little effort! AMG package or not the 600 is the ultimate sleeper and will always turn heads for decades...

oh, also there is more options for aftermarket tuning for high hp gains than a 55K. I still love the s55..but that v12 biturbo is no joke.

only downfall is the cost of maintenance for cars of this caliber.

S600 is ultimately a better buy but get what you're looking for. if you want the "feel" of chest-pounding torque, get the 55K, if you like quiet, unfathomable power, get the 600...
Great information because i was deciding between the S55 or S600 also,i think im gonna do the S600 next year...
Old 11-07-2016, 01:55 PM

1996 Mercedes-Benz S420
Originally Posted by E55AMGFan
It wouldn't be significantly more, but it would be more in general based on what I've read about owners' experiences. It is better to get a 2004+ as first year model bugs are sorted out.
What bugs are you referring to exactly???
Old 11-07-2016, 01:59 PM

1996 Mercedes-Benz S420
Originally Posted by Bukwild
I did the same compairison and after driving both I ended up choosing a 03 s600 sport over a 03 s55. Interior was a big difference but with both cars I was going to buy tuning software and with that issue the 600 won hands down. The 600 is just and exhaust mod away from sounding like a 55 and that was also a consideration. I suggest you drive both a few times before you make ur choice.
Any mechanical issues on the S600???