S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

S55, are these leaks something to be concerned about?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 10:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes S55 AMG
S55, are these leaks something to be concerned about?

So I have a 2001 S55, and Mercedes told me I have a few leaks that are very minor, but something to keep in mind. Are they really minor, or can they lead to some type of bigger issue if not taken care of in the future? (i.e how long?)

First, the oil level sensor is leaking. They also recommend the valve cover gaskets and and to be resealed. The rear main seal is also leaking. (Was told this is common)

Lastly, I think there is a leak in the 13 pin connector - is that in the transmission area?

How common are these and which would you fix first? The techs told me there is nothing major to worry about now, so I think they are minor - but I'd like to hear your personal experiences!
Old 12-12-2009, 11:53 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GL550, C55, 335i Coupe, vintage Mustang
The trans connector(13 pin) is a relatively common complaint. It is very easy to fix. As far as the rear main seal and valve covers leaking, if you have no leaks noticed in your garage, and if you have no smoke noticed if the car is idling with the hood open, follow your heart. If it bothers you, fix it. If you haven't noticed any problems, keep it on your watch list and keep an eye on the potential problem areas.

Nick
Old 12-13-2009, 12:02 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes S55 AMG
Yeah, that is what I will do. The 13 pin connection fix was not too much - with a new pan gasket, bushings, and a flush of the fluid with new oil it was under $600, so it may be worth to fix that. The rear main seal was $1300+, that's a bit more if it's not that important.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:32 AM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
10 speed bicycle
The trans connector is very common. The valve covers are fairly common, and the rear main is here and there. The trans connectors usually leak pretty bad, valve covers, you can let fly, they won't **** oil out, but keep an eye on the rear main...it is a seal that has a constant rotating force on it and will get worse with time. That said it might only be starting to leak now, and may not be an immediate concern.