S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Considering a W220 S600 vs S55/65 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supra
Mark...where are you located?

Thanks,
Jay

Last edited by Philly Single; 01-19-2010 at 11:21 PM. Reason: .........................................
Old 01-20-2010, 12:17 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1987 Buick GNX,SL65 Black, 1987 Buick Turbo Limited, 2010 GT500
I am located in south Florida

I like what you did with Supra. Those times are insane

I can ship this car anywhere for $600 and I would consider
shipping it including in a deal
Old 01-23-2010, 06:30 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Where to start? The Italians or the Germans?
Sorry all I've had a killer week at school I'll get back to you soon, Cheers!
Old 01-28-2010, 10:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
S600 Bi-Turbo/E39 M5
V12 > V8

The V8 is a great motor, but you have to spend a ton of cash to get the power out of it. Spend $1500 with Eurocharged and you're flying!
Old 01-30-2010, 07:32 AM

BENZ
Originally Posted by rondocap
The S65 is nice - but maybe a bit overkill, and likely not worth the extra cash unless you have it to spare.

Now, S600 vs S55 - it depends on what you want. I personally would choose the S55, because I think it's a bit more aggressive in every sense. The V8 throttle is more "alive", the AMG body kit, especially considering it has quad exhaust, is really nice.

Sure, the S600 has a few more interior niceties, but it's really not that major in my opinion. The extra rumble you get from the lively S55 is worth it, and it's an AMG.
Hey Rondocap,

Thanks for your post. its been long time since I got a polite and straight answer from someone... May I have the details .. How would S600 make us comforable than other products from benz...

Regards,
Jacob..

Old 01-30-2010, 04:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes S55 AMG
Abraham, to sort of sum up what I have said before: In my experience, the S600 to drive is much "smoother". The engine is very smooth and gives you that linear acceleration, with not too much noise. It's fairly quiet, which if that is what you want - is perfect. It's a very fast car, and as others have mentioned, easier to mod.

Now, for me the S55 is lively right out of the box. It can be a little bit more temperamental and jerky with the acceleration, but that's the point of it - it is sort of a more untamed beast compared to the S600. That V8 rumble is unbeatable too! Then are minor details like AMG bodykit and quad exhaust which give it that sporting nature.

The S65 is a wonderful car, but it is more expensive than what you can get an S55 or S600 for. If money is not an issue, it's really such a blast - but remember it isn't that easy putting all of that power down consistently, due to traction.

But in the end, the most important thing in these cars that makes them different is the engine and the suspension/brake components, so basically how they ride. Otherwise, there isn't a huge difference between an S65 and an S430. (i.e, both have a similar interior layout, of course the other ones use better material in some cases).

Last edited by rondocap; 01-30-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:20 PM

LS430
Originally Posted by Philly Single
Mark...where are you located?

Thanks,
Jay

Hey Jay, what are you doing here? I remember you from Supraforums (member there myself), good to see you on another board, although that monster in your sig is more then enough to brag about.

Back to topic, you can't go wrong with any one, S55, S600, S65. Its amazing to see other cars get pulled by anyone of them and yet they retain so much space and luxury.

-Andy
Old 02-16-2010, 06:51 PM

Well, after a lot of recent research and considering my financial situation I am going to go with the S600. I know it won't be the best car out of the box, but I think it will be fun to tune it. I found loads of Renntech parts (suspension, brakes, engine parts, etc) that will make the car faster in a straight line than a stock 65. In the end, I always like to mod my cars to add that bit of personal touch to them. I don't think the 65 is the way to go considering there is not that much left to do, and considering they cost roughly another $20k more than an '04 600. Now I get to figure out what colors and options to get... I'm thinking black/black but that's a bit too stereotypical (no offense to anyone, and I'm not going to lie: its a great combination) for me. What options should I watch for?

Rick
Old 02-16-2010, 07:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
05 cl55 amg Renntech air box w/ K&N's LET 180 pulley & Tune, HE & Pump, 3'' Exhaust res/cat delete
just out of curosity how much are you looking to spend??? I might have a 2006 s65 in the stable by the end of the week only because it's a pretty good deal and it's in mint condition. I would definately sell it for the right price if someone on here wanted it and i'm not talking anything crazy either. It has 50k on it blk/blk
Old 02-16-2010, 08:43 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 s65. Ford Excursion 6.0. Pontiac GTO convertible. Porsche 944 Turbo SCCA car. Wife-E550 and 968
Originally Posted by MB_Fahrer
Well, after a lot of recent research and considering my financial situation I am going to go with the S600. I know it won't be the best car out of the box, but I think it will be fun to tune it. I found loads of Renntech parts (suspension, brakes, engine parts, etc) that will make the car faster in a straight line than a stock 65. In the end, I always like to mod my cars to add that bit of personal touch to them. I don't think the 65 is the way to go considering there is not that much left to do, and considering they cost roughly another $20k more than an '04 600. Now I get to figure out what colors and options to get... I'm thinking black/black but that's a bit too stereotypical (no offense to anyone, and I'm not going to lie: its a great combination) for me. What options should I watch for?

Rick
I would get it with the S65 option!
Old 02-16-2010, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by silvercl55
just out of curosity how much are you looking to spend??? I might have a 2006 s65 in the stable by the end of the week only because it's a pretty good deal and it's in mint condition. I would definately sell it for the right price if someone on here wanted it and i'm not talking anything crazy either. It has 50k on it blk/blk
Well, that's a story in itself...I'll PM you
Old 02-16-2010, 11:24 PM

A Mercedes obviously!

Rick
I was in a similar position to you (though I'm not a big modder) and went for an '04 S600. Black with stone leather and think it looks IMO the colour wears much better than black.
http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/3258/dsc09570z.jpg

IMO the must have options are AMG package and Keyless Go. I also wanted the rear ventilated and cooling seats which I got
Old 02-16-2010, 11:40 PM

Beautiful! I love the color Fraser! What is the wood called in your car? Is there anyone that makes carbon fiber pieces where the wood normally goes?
Old 02-17-2010, 08:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by Fraser
IMO the must have options are AMG package and Keyless Go. I also wanted the rear ventilated and cooling seats which I got
Agree 100% on those two MUST haves

If you have kids, the rear privacy blinds are a good option.

Heated steering wheel nice touch if you are located in cold weather like me.

Again, I have to say it, distronic is my LEAST liked option. I NEVER use it unless it is on a VERY long cruise. To many hipcoks with it if the interstate gets busy, which they always do my friend.

Good luck, and don't forget to call Jerry at Eurocharged for the tune. BEST money I ever spent
Old 02-17-2010, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 268 Likes on 217 Posts
'06 MB S55 AMG; '04 Audi Allroad 4.2; '05 BMW M3 Conv.; '92 MB 500E

Rick
I think either the rear seat package (heated, cooled, recline) or the 4-seater package (same w/o middle seating in rear) is an absolute must have for this car, along with rear A/C. The other bells and whistles I'm not so keen on -- just more stuff to break or malfunction.

Good luck!

maw
Old 02-17-2010, 12:00 PM

A Mercedes obviously!
Beautiful! I love the color Fraser! What is the wood called in your car?
I'm sure someone else will beat me to it before I get home but if not I'll refer to the window sticker.

Originally Posted by maw1124
I think either the rear seat package (heated, cooled, recline) or the 4-seater package (same w/o middle seating in rear) is an absolute must have for this car, along with rear A/C. The other bells and whistles I'm not so keen on -- just more stuff to break or malfunction.
600/65 comes with rear AC and heated rear seats as standard

I thought the seats reclined in all long wheelbase model W220s? (Most W220s in Europe were SWB unless you paid the extra supplement, in the UK that was about £6000 in 2000)

As you say the 4 place seating is a very nice option but very hard to find as it was ca. $5000.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:11 PM

2003 S600, 1988 RX-7 single turbo vert, 1998 BMW 740IL
600 in the S class is great. If I had to get the 65 I would get the CL or SL body. It seems to be money better spent to me
Old 02-17-2010, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Agree 100% on those two MUST haves

If you have kids, the rear privacy blinds are a good option.

Heated steering wheel nice touch if you are located in cold weather like me.

Again, I have to say it, distronic is my LEAST liked option. I NEVER use it unless it is on a VERY long cruise. To many hipcoks with it if the interstate gets busy, which they always do my friend.

Good luck, and don't forget to call Jerry at Eurocharged for the tune. BEST money I ever spent
Distronic is the radar guided cruise control? As for the Keyless go, how does it work? Do you just keep the key (that looks like a large credit card) in your pocket the entire time and the car senses it? I am going to search up Eurocharged right now actually, thank you!
Old 02-17-2010, 07:11 PM

I would rather have the rear seat package rather than the four seat placement--I don't want to have issues with transporting people when I need to (although I have gotten three passengers in my SL once upon a time). The 2004 model looks like it has a better GPS system in it, is this true? Are there any other major difference's between the '03 and the '04?
Old 02-17-2010, 07:48 PM

A Mercedes obviously!
Distronic is the radar guided cruise control? As for the Keyless go, how does it work? Do you just keep the key (that looks like a large credit card) in your pocket the entire time and the car senses it? I am going to search up Eurocharged right now actually, thank you!
Distronic is the radar cruise control. See 7mins 30secs in
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hhb0a-fb8eM

I keep the key (regular looking one, the early ones were cards) in my pocket and just walk up to the car and the door is open. Foot on the brake and hold the top of the gear shifter to start it.

I would rather have the rear seat package rather than the four seat placement--I don't want to have issues with transporting people when I need to (although I have gotten three passengers in my SL once upon a time). The 2004 model looks like it has a better GPS system in it, is this true? Are there any other major difference's between the '03 and the '04?
My understanding is the navigation went from sqaure to widescreen in 2003, then from CD to DVD based for 2004.

Last edited by Fraser; 02-17-2010 at 07:51 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes S55 AMG
To be honest the S63/S65 are beautiful cars - but very discreet since there are a lot of S550's around.

The CL63/CL65 is absolutely beautiful. Very unique - I live in New York where you see a lot of S classes, but rarely the coupes. I think the CL's approach the level of other beautiful super cars like Aston Martins, etc.

But obviously the leg room in the S is nice. Today I was driving my S55 with 3 other people, and obviously you can't really accelerate or drive aggresively with more people in the car, so it doesn't matter if it has 355, 500, or 1000 HP in those cases! But when I'm alone, oh man I could care less if it only had 1 seat!
Old 02-18-2010, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 268 Likes on 217 Posts
'06 MB S55 AMG; '04 Audi Allroad 4.2; '05 BMW M3 Conv.; '92 MB 500E
Check up on this, but I'm thinking either the rear seat package or the 4 seater package could come with or without the heated and cooled seats. I may be wrong on that though. If both come with heated, cooled, reclining seats, then yes, I agree with you. The reason I have the S instead of the CL is because it's a family cruiser for me -- my wife, 2 kids, and mom in the car is no problem for long trips. Everyone's comfortable.

Yes, the 2004 has a better COMAND system, and it's as you state. The other options that changed are wheels (19" 2-pieces for '06, I believe -- I have those and I don't think they were available before then), lights, and maybe some other gadgets. But the guts of the car remained the same once the supercharger came into being.

But make sure your rear seats are as deluxe as the fronts. I think it's critical to a full enjoyment of the S.

maw
Old 02-18-2010, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Fraser
Distronic is the radar cruise control. See 7mins 30secs in
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hhb0a-fb8eM

I keep the key (regular looking one, the early ones were cards) in my pocket and just walk up to the car and the door is open. Foot on the brake and hold the top of the gear shifter to start it.

My understanding is the navigation went from sqaure to widescreen in 2003, then from CD to DVD based for 2004.
What happens when you wish to park the car and lock it?
Old 02-19-2010, 01:10 PM

GL550
I am pretty sure that the 4 place seating came with the heated seats standard. The ventilated seats were optional in either case.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:55 PM

Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Porsche, Aston Martin, Chevrolet
I would get the 600, you cannot beat the torque of the V12. In all reality the brakes on the S600 are nearly as strong as the S55s when you look at the numbers. The only real difference is if your planning on using your S-class for track use, which more than obviously, most people do not. Therefore I really believe you should get the 600. No matter what gear your in you simply touch the throttle and your galloping forward with no drama whatsoever.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Considering a W220 S600 vs S55/65 AMG