S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Service suggestions by my dealer on my 06 S65....thoughts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2010 | 08:18 PM

2018 S63, lowered
Service suggestions by my dealer on my 06 S65....thoughts?

My car has only been serviced/touched by my dealer, has 73k miles on it and has always been serviced at the appropriate time/mileage intervals. My dealership has always been very good to me and have provided a great service. I personally know my tech, chat with him at almost every visit and feel he's definitley "dialed in" on the 65's. My car is currently in for a "Service A" and in addition to the actual "service" for $280, they highly suggested the following;

New belt tensioner $415 ($173 for the tensioner and the rest in labor- I'm providing a new belt that I've already purchased)
Brake Fluid Flush- $100 (had one done about 25k miles ago)
Motor coolant flush - $140 -never been done
Fuel filter - $270 - never been done
Tranny flush/service- $250 - aren't these sealed trannys?
Replacement of a cracked crank case ventilation hose - $210

So, with the Service A it's going to run about $1700.....which, typically I wouldn't have a huge issue paying but my warranty is up in 5 months and I'll be selling the car. The car runs perfect and has never had any major issues. Do any of these sound outrageous to you guys?
Old 08-31-2010 | 08:28 PM

Mercedes S55 AMG
Those are mostly regular maintenance items that should be done every specified amount of miles, so if they were not done it may be good to do them.

The transmissions were thought of to be sealed, but I think Mercedes sort of changed their mind on that one and recommends flushing it every 40k or so miles.

Now, since your car is still within warranty I see why you take it to the dealer - but generally the prices will be higher at the dealer for these items then at a good indy mechanic, and perhaps they may not be so pushy on certain items that don't really require attention as much. (Since most Mercedes dealers work on commission for service, they tend to push a lot more stuff out - but it seems like you know your tech well, and these items seem fair.)

Since you are selling the car - perhaps these are items that won't really affect the car's current operation, but that will in the future, so if you decide not to do them it may be a good idea to let the next owner know that they will need to eventually be done.

Last edited by rondocap; 08-31-2010 at 08:29 PM. Reason: aa
Old 09-01-2010 | 08:17 AM

'09 CLK550, '21 Camaro ZL1 1LE, '06 C55 AMG, '20 AMG GT53, 09 E63
Fuel filter isn't that difficult to change and I think that $270 is a little steep. It is located in the drivers wheel well area and is an easy swap. The factory crimp connectors need to be scrapped and replaced with normal worm gear clamps. The filter is $125 or so when I bought one a couple years ago.