S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

2002 Mercedes Benz S-Class S-55 AMG Maintenance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 02:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1972 Plymouth Satellite
2002 Mercedes Benz S-Class S-55 AMG Maintenance

Hello new to the forum
Just had a few questions was hoping you could help. A few years ago my dad sold his S430 so I could finish my college.I have always wanted to get him another to replace it. The other day I was out looking at a muscle car lead when a found a 2002 Mercedes Benz S-Class S-55 AMG with 120k mi for $14,000. The car is real sharp but my only concern is 120k mi. I work a lot on cars but they are old and a different world from your engineering.Is 120k a lot for a Mercedes it has had two owners and the man is looking the paperwork for me.If this car has not had a lot of maintenance done on it what would it need? or is it best to just walk away.
Thank you for you time
Luke
Old 11-23-2010, 10:30 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes S55 AMG
Even if it was well maintained, it is an on-going process and stuff will always pop up, which can be expensive - especially out of warranty. Read this write up on an S55 I did recently:

Don't let it scare you away from the car, but at least go into it with knowledge and know it is not cheap to maintain over time.

https://mbworld.org/forums/s55-amg-s...y-shocked.html
Old 11-23-2010, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by luke44
Hello new to the forum
Just had a few questions was hoping you could help. A few years ago my dad sold his S430 so I could finish my college.I have always wanted to get him another to replace it. The other day I was out looking at a muscle car lead when a found a 2002 Mercedes Benz S-Class S-55 AMG with 120k mi for $14,000. The car is real sharp but my only concern is 120k mi. I work a lot on cars but they are old and a different world from your engineering.Is 120k a lot for a Mercedes it has had two owners and the man is looking the paperwork for me.If this car has not had a lot of maintenance done on it what would it need? or is it best to just walk away.
Thank you for you time
Luke
This was an expensive car when new and things will break. The unfortunate thing is that even though the price on the car is now low the parts and repairs remain high.