S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Need star lowering help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 05:33 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Buick T-Type, 70 cuda, S65 and a very FAST Truck!
Need star lowering help

I am trying to lower my car via star and am having some problems. I have followed the instructions the best I can on the e55 page but the S65 w220 seems to have some different steps. I can get the car to lower by pushing the appropriate function keys but it will not save the values if you lower it more than a half an inch, even though the angle values entered are with in spec. Then if you do lower it star makes you perform a load adjustment test that once completed puts the car right back to the original height.

Can some one please give me a quick tutorial on how to lower on S or CL via star?

It also does not list the ride height voltage value range like on the E55 cars, it just gives the angle spec. Does anyone know what. Voltage values are acceptable? It seems to fail below around 2.2 volts.

THANK YOU!!
Old 01-16-2011, 08:45 PM

I spent several hours today trying to get the STAR diagnostics to lower my 2006 S65. While I had more success than a couple of days ago I still have lots of questions on how to lower the W220's and 215's.

I went to the inital setup page and it shows three speed ranges to adjust your ride height. I started out with the low speed setting (but I am not sure that is correct)
Need star lowering help-imag0006.jpg

Once you select low speed the following screen comes up
Need star lowering help-imag0007.jpg

From this screen you can raise and lower your car all over the place. I did find it takes lots of effort to input values that it will actually take, eventhough they are inside the specified range. For the S class it says ranges from 2.00 to 3.00 volts are acceptable, but I could never get it to work with values less than 2.2v.
Need star lowering help-imag0008.jpg
Need star lowering help-imag0009.jpg

Once you get those values to accept you have to enter in the angle values. This proved to be very difficult and belive me I tried all the values inside the acceptable range. If the voltages were above 2.2 I found that 4.8 degrees for the front and -1.4 degrees worked for the back. Once input it was happy and sitting about 1 inch lower. This is were the problems started. Once it was sitting correctly it had a fault that said the load adjustment not performed. As soon as the load adjustment is completed the car returns to the original ride height. You can drive around with the car lower but it has the ABC Visit Workshop warning message. To get the warning message to clear you have to do the load adjustment which deletes the ride height setting.
Need star lowering help-imag0014.jpg

So do you think you have to adjust the ride height for all three speed settings to make it work?

Any ideas how to get the car to stay lowered using STAR?

Alos I tried to find the 10 degree cooler fan turn-on menu and the S is totally different than the E55's.
Attached Thumbnails Need star lowering help-imag0012.jpg  
Old 08-22-2011, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
S550, R350, GL550, ML63 AMG
Did the lowering mod work? I saw the instructions on the W211 E-Class section and they seemed to get that working very easily. I'm going to be doing my S550 without ABC this week.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:59 PM

Yes it worked well. I ended up lowering the car about 2 inches.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:53 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
CL600 2003
Hey Flight Test,

In your second post you stated having trouble with messages in the dash board, in you last post it seems everything is perfect.

Could you explain to us what other steps you did to get this to work, and what settings did you input.

If possible more of the screen shots!

Thank you
Old 12-02-2011, 10:02 AM

I did end up getting it to work and the problem was I was not performing the calibration after lowering the car. If you do a search by my username you will see several more write-ups on lowering the car that are a bit more complete. This thread kind of died and some new ones were started up.

Star seems happy if you do baby steps and lower the car just a little bit and recalibrate and then lower it again to get the ride height you want. If you just lower it a bunch all at one time it will reject the values.

I would still like to find the instructions from the factory when they first set up the suspension and input all the ride height and lowering information.

Have a great day!
Old 01-04-2012, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
opposite-lock...
Good morning Mr. Flight Test-

Just found this after going through the initial frustrations of trying to lower my S600 via STAR, and am thrilled to find active informed conversation on this.

my failed attempt:

https://mbworld.org/forums/cl-class-...uspension.html

I'll do some searches under your name and see what I can find - thanks for what you've found / shared!

I too was seeking the fan temp adj you mentioned - how did you make out? Can you share more please?

Worse, I tried coding my cluster to ROW and all I managed to do was get my speedo to read way low and my clock to be 90min fast in 24hr time - awesome.

Any insight very much appreciated!!!
Old 01-04-2012, 01:07 PM

opposite-lock...
ps. couldn't help note your Avatar... love to hear the deets on that rig! Pretty gnarly stuff right thar!

I worked Climb to the Clouds this year and a massive crowd favorite (and massive in and of itself) was this compound turbo Freightliner.

What a HOOT this was to experience in person!:

Filled me friggin shoes w/ gravel right there! Such cool sounds / sights! TEN THOUSAND HORSEPOWER waaaaaaaaaat?

anywho... love to hear about yours 8-)
Old 01-06-2012, 08:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Sgt. Schultz
Worse, I tried coding my cluster to ROW and all I managed to do was get my speedo to read way low and my clock to be 90min fast in 24hr time - awesome!
Paul, this is an awesome mod for you...think about it...when the fuzz pulls you over for doing 90, you say "well, sir, my cluster said I was only doing 70, please get in and I'll show you that its true...".

What does the ROW display get you btw?...just curious.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:18 PM

Howdy Sgt Schultz.

That truck is owned by Mike Ryan. He does a bunch of stunt driving for movies in addition to running pikes peak. I used to be a crewmenber for Mike long ago. He was the driver of the truck I am racing now several years ago. It is just crazy thinking of running that beast up pikes peak.

The truck I drive is a Freightliner that we run at the Bonneville Salt Flats. It currently holds the world speed record of 228.804 MPH. The Joint venture is powered by a 16 cylinder quad turbo, twin supercharged 16V-92 Detroit Deisel putting out about 4000HP and 6500 Ft/Lbs torque. It is an awesome machine. If you want check out some of the videos below. It is kind of like driving 230 MPH in a skyscraper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FsxbGdhCi8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3T8eynq17Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Loj96hJSt7Q

As for adjusting the fan on the S class I had no luck. It does not have an adjustable feature like the E55's have.

Sounds like you are having an adventure with the cluster. Good luck!

I am still trying out how to turn down the gain on the automatic windshield wipers. Mine goes way to fast and way to often when on automatic. I need to find out how to slow it down. It drives me nuts when it keeps wiping with dry windows or maybe one tiny sprinkle on the winshield.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:09 PM

opposite-lock...
Neat story!

Wow, what an experience that must be @ 230 in that thing! Incredulous! Thanks for sharing the links, will have a look now.

We got to meet Mike briefly in the paddock (this was Mt. Washington Climb to the Clouds... arguably narrower than Pikes Peak!), he was very friendly and accommodating.

It appears I was successful in lowering my car 'some' - still needs to come down maybe an inch, but I think I got it maybe an inch lower thus far. Psyched! Wish I could tell you how, I followed your instructions 8-).

Regarding my cluster - it is very interesting. I confirmed by my Garmin nav that my INNER speedo ring is accurate... the KPH ring... but accurate in MPH as correlated to the digital readout.

I'm wondering if I selected some little known feature or something? Meaning, it really urked me to get a car w/ a 160mph speedo. The inner ring now goes to 260 8-). I've confirmed GPS speeds vs. speedo are dead accurate from 35 to about 95 or 110 (forget), was running out of road at the time.

Still need to get my clock out of 24hr time, and dial it back by 90min. 90min... so odd... you'd think it'd be to the hour, per like time zones or something - but no.

Good luck w/ yours. Would love to hear any thoughts out there on the speedo 'inner ring'!
Old 01-10-2012, 04:04 PM

Let me make sure I understand you correct. The inner KPH ring is reading correctly according to your GPS MPH. So it shows you are going 60 KPH on the cluster but you are actually going 60 MPH on the GPS. Sounds like the Metric conversion on the cluster is backwards somehow. I seem to remember somewhere in the menu there is a MPH/KPH setting. Try changing that.

Make sure to get out a yard stick and document the fender height evertime you lower it and also document the corresponding voltages. It really helps later.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:19 PM

opposite-lock...
Interesting huh?

Yes, inner KPH ring corresponds correctly to GPS but in MPH.

I'm not sure I want to change it back... if I'm right, I've now gotten rid of the insipid 160k speedo! Perfect!

Yes, been carefully tracking the measurements / voltage - thanks!