S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Bought 2 2006 S65's, now for the tuning questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 11:08 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Where to start? The Italians or the Germans?
Bought 2 2006 S65's, now for the tuning questions

Well... with all my projects going on my father has decided to put me in charge of the S65's he just bought. One of them is black on black with 27k miles the other is black over tan with 48k miles. He wants to take the car to Europe when we go there every year for summer.

He wants the RENNtech stage three package. ECU tune, lowering module, CF airbox, intercooler, transmission upgrade, exhaust, LSD, and S3 16.2" brakes in the front with the 14.2" rears.

The brakes require 20" wheels. How much worse will the ride be with 20" wheels (and don't tell me it won't affect the ride, I know it will )?

Also, how wide wheels and tires can I fit under it? I don't mind rolling the fenders out (I've done it to about a dozen other cars for my race team).

Thanks!!
Ricky

edit: I also should mention that I am not dead set on RENNtech (I would just like to do business with them as Tomas is proving to be invaluable helping me with my S74 conversion).

Last edited by MB_Fahrer; 02-19-2011 at 11:58 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A Mercedes obviously!
Pics?...please! Two S65s..lucky man!
Old 02-20-2011, 12:55 AM

Yes he is! I'll have pics up as soon as they get here. He just told me to get parts coming for them tonight I'm assuming it'll be about 3 weeks for delivery...
Old 02-20-2011, 01:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes S600TT, LX470 SuperCharged, QX4, BMW 750IL
Personally I think Renntech is overpriced for what you get. I don't have any personal experience with them but I have spent time researching their tune vs others and that was my conclusion. I've had PC tune and eurocharged. PC wasn't that great. I am considering the Speeddriven transmission/ecu tune if price ever comes down.

Lowering module isn't really necessary, it can be done with a star computer. That's how I lowered mine.

I didn't go with the LSD as some friends told me it's a waste of money, that it would never be used in street racing.

I have 18" wheels I think the ride is to hard, can't imagine 20." I upgraded my brakes to the S55 brakes instead of the S65 brakes for that reason. I would have liked more stopping power, the S55 brakes are just barely ok.

I think the widest wheel I read about was 11" wide (but I could be mistaken). I think with that much surface area I'd be rotating tires every other month. I already smoke my tires at stop lights unintentionally.

One upgrade I did was to install a boost guage on the pillar and I had it wrapped in alcantara.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:02 AM

I looked at Eurotech and Eurocharged... Neither of them had significant power gains. Only about 50hp and 60-80 ft.lbs/tq. RENNtech claims 80 hp and 130ft.lbs/tq. Do you think they are over-estimating?

What is the "star computer" ? Sorry this is a whole new world to me. I'm a noob at W220's. I've done tons of research on them, and promptly forgot everything I read when I bought my W140. LOL.

Have you noticed wheel slippage problems without the LSD? RENNtech offers a 100% locking rear diff. I would imagine it would be a good thing to have for track days? He doesn't plan on tracking it, but usually if you track-tune a car it winds up better for street usage (from my experience anyway).

Thanks for the tip on the wheels, I will definitely not recommend the brake upgrade so we can keep 18" wheels. From the racing standpoint again, I would like to get a set of lightweight 18x11.5/18x12 in the rear? And then the widest front wheel and tire as possible. We will be in Germany with the car we take so tires with a y or z speed rating are a must.

Do you have any pictures of the boost gauge?

Thanks!!
Old 02-20-2011, 02:14 AM

Also, what aero packages are available? I know that wald makes the BB kit for the W220 with a diffuser in the rear. Think it does any good? Are there any front splitters out there? Rear window/trunk spoiler be of any benefit?
Old 02-20-2011, 10:33 AM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Originally Posted by MB_Fahrer
I looked at Eurotech and Eurocharged... Neither of them had significant power gains. Only about 50hp and 60-80 ft.lbs/tq. RENNtech claims 80 hp and 130ft.lbs/tq. Do you think they are over-estimating?

What is the "star computer" ? Sorry this is a whole new world to me. I'm a noob at W220's. I've done tons of research on them, and promptly forgot everything I read when I bought my W140. LOL.

Have you noticed wheel slippage problems without the LSD? RENNtech offers a 100% locking rear diff. I would imagine it would be a good thing to have for track days? He doesn't plan on tracking it, but usually if you track-tune a car it winds up better for street usage (from my experience anyway).

Thanks for the tip on the wheels, I will definitely not recommend the brake upgrade so we can keep 18" wheels. From the racing standpoint again, I would like to get a set of lightweight 18x11.5/18x12 in the rear? And then the widest front wheel and tire as possible. We will be in Germany with the car we take so tires with a y or z speed rating are a must.

Do you have any pictures of the boost gauge?

Thanks!!
renntech measures their hp gains at the crank, and not the wheels. We can easily help you reach your goals without putting a major dent in your wallet.

The mercedes STAR is a computer that they have at the dealership. With that computer, you can lower the car on the air suspension. Its safe and easy. There are some members that have the computer as well as indy mechanics. There is even a how to in the E55 section that is a sticky.

congrats on the cars, they are awesome machines!
Old 02-21-2011, 01:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 S55, 2002 E430, 2007 CLK350, 1981 380SL
Not to be a bugger, but a stock s65 will be a beast...why start upgrades before you drive them...They will also have stock 19" wheels from MB. Save all of that Renntech cash and buy a third one for your son to drive....by the way, I am available for adoption!
Mike
Old 02-21-2011, 03:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A Mercedes obviously!
Originally Posted by mrbenzes
Save all of that Renntech cash and buy a third one for your son to drive....
From MB_Fahrer's postings I'd say he is the son!
Old 02-22-2011, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by mrbenzes
Not to be a bugger, but a stock s65 will be a beast...why start upgrades before you drive them...They will also have stock 19" wheels from MB. Save all of that Renntech cash and buy a third one for your son to drive....by the way, I am available for adoption!
Mike
I am the son I was thinking about buying a W220 S600/65, but I couldn't do it. I love the W140 600's too much. So I went out and bought a '92 with 34k miles black on black. I'll be swapping in a 7.4L RENNtech tuned V-12 (M120 platform) into it. I'm shooting for 700hp and wherever the torque falls. I'm doing twin standalone ecu's, an intake similar to what Pagani uses on the old Zonda F, a Junction Produce Ares bodykit, full air ride suspension, and loads more. I love the W220's, but they are not me. Too many electronics, and the airmatic/ABC crap scares me. At least with my car I'll be running Bilstein sport shocks with an air bag kit from Air Ride Technologies.

To answer your question though, all I know is my father said for me to order the RENNtech stage three parts. I found the RENNtech dealer in Colorado, so I'll call them up later and order everything. I'll do the ECU, TCU, lowering module (found one on ebay for $700 that I already bought), the CF airbox, intercooler pump upgrade (going to ask about a larger intercooler as well), the locking rear differential, the stage one brake upgrade (SS lines, racing pads, racing fluid), and the Valentine One that is hidden away in the rear view mirror.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
s65
If you are serious and not just bs then call Marcin from Speed Driven.
Tell him hello from Alex in TX. www.speedriven.com
He will quench your thirst for everything V-12... at a value. I have an 06 s65 ECU and TCU flash. Good buy on the lowering module...make sure to buy a remote.