MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) (https://mbworld.org/forums/s55-amg-s65-amg-s63-amg-w220-w221-52/)
-   -   03'-up S55 ride quality? (https://mbworld.org/forums/s55-amg-s65-amg-s63-amg-w220-w221/411546-03-up-s55-ride-quality.html)

02Drunkenup 08-14-2011 02:34 PM

03'-up S55 ride quality?

I can't seem to find any threads or anything on Google that mentions what the ride is like, the only thing I've seen mentioning the ride very vaguely describes it being rough. I'm seriously considering buying one and I'd like to know how it compares to my S430.
Not going for an S600 because of its fuel mileage (cyl deactivation doesn't work for my city driving) and I prefer the AMG exhaust note. So what's the ride like in normal settings? And how exactly does engaging abc sport change the cars characteristics?

w4sim 08-14-2011 11:45 PM

The S55 ride is not rough at all my friend, its most likely more comfortable than your current S430 as it rides on Air suspension. This may seem like sarcasm but to me it felt very "floaty", like the magical flying carpet.

Very very comfortable is how i would describe it.

Your very last question is a good one though, id also like to know the answer to that.

Quadcammer 08-15-2011 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by w4sim (Post 4794111)
The S55 ride is not rough at all my friend, its most likely more comfortable than your current S430 as it rides on Air suspension. This may seem like sarcasm but to me it felt very "floaty", like the magical flying carpet.

Very very comfortable is how i would describe it.

Your very last question is a good one though, id also like to know the answer to that.

please inform yourself before making untrue statements.

w4sim 08-15-2011 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Oliverk (Post 4794333)
please inform yourself before making untrue statements.

Have you ever even driven a PROPER S class or are you still in your dream world!

Quadcammer 08-15-2011 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by w4sim (Post 4794384)
Have you ever even driven a PROPER S class or are you still in your dream world!

no chief, unlike you, I've owned a fully loaded 05 s500 for the past three years. I've also driven every model S-class made in the last 10 years, with the exception of the S350.

And since you continue to be an ignorant tosser, the s430/500 have Air suspensions, and the 55/600/65 have hydraulic ABC.

educate yourself junior.

mrbenzes 08-17-2011 08:16 AM

My 2005 S55 is the smoothest car I have ever ridden in...bar none. Everyone that rides in mine comments about how quiet and smoth it is. I havent ridden in an Airmatic car so I dont have anything to compare it to. I would call it smooth with a lot of firm grip. I drive mine 99% of the time in "normal" mode and rarely put it in "ABC Sport" mode.

mrbenzes 08-17-2011 08:18 AM

My brother in law drives his (2003 S55) in Sport mode all of the time and says it is like putting the car on rails compared to "Normal" mode...this is in respect to the body roll.
Mike

DRTYLNDY 08-17-2011 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by mrbenzes (Post 4796470)
My brother in law drives his (2003 S55) in Sport mode all of the time and says it is like putting the car on rails compared to "Normal" mode...this is in respect to the body roll.
Mike

YUP, that is a perfect way to describe it! It goes from a luxury beer burner to a sports car with the push of a button.

Quadcammer 08-17-2011 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by DRTYLNDY (Post 4796477)
YUP, that is a perfect way to describe it! It goes from a luxury beer burner to a sports car with the push of a button.

ok, no it doesn't.

I don't care what suspension you put on a 4800lb car, it will not handle like a sports car. While the ABC helps to contain body roll, when you drive quickly, the car understeers like a ***** unless you give it a huge helping of throttle.

Furthermore, going through quick transitions, you can really feel the heft.

ABC helps to make the car stay flatter, but turn it into a sports car, it most certainly does not. You cannot defy the laws of physics.

malahhaor 08-17-2011 09:00 AM

When I drove 05 s55 I found it to be harsher on than my 500. Bes I can describe it is thet 55 in normal felt like 500 in sport 1. When I drove a 600 it belt much like the 500 but with much less body roll.

mrbenzes 08-17-2011 09:12 AM

I just checked the specs for a 2006 Bugatti Veyron at 4200 lbs...I would call that a sports car...would you?
Mike

w4sim 08-17-2011 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by mrbenzes (Post 4796519)
I just checked the specs for a 2006 Bugatti Veyron at 4200 lbs...I would call that a sports car...would you?
Mike

I think you'll find he has a tendency NOT to agree with people :D

DRTYLNDY 08-17-2011 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Oliverk (Post 4796496)
ok, no it doesn't.

I don't care what suspension you put on a 4800lb car, it will not handle like a sports car. While the ABC helps to contain body roll, when you drive quickly, the car understeers like a ***** unless you give it a huge helping of throttle.

ABC helps to make the car stay flatter, but turn it into a sports car, it most certainly does not. You cannot defy the laws of physics.

Well sorry I stated MY OPINION there Oliverk. Since you seem like a person who is always right well then I guess you are right. I don't care for you or the way you treat other people here. You seem to always take things personally and then you insult people. No need to respond to me since I could care less really. Once again it was just my opinion smarty pants.
Johan

w4sim 08-17-2011 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by DRTYLNDY (Post 4796746)
Well sorry I stated MY OPINION there Oliverk.

How dare you give YOUR opinion on here without the proper authorisation :rolf:

:bow:

02Drunkenup 08-17-2011 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by malahhaor (Post 4796501)
When I drove 05 s55 I found it to be harsher on than my 500. Bes I can describe it is thet 55 in normal felt like 500 in sport 1. When I drove a 600 it belt much like the 500 but with much less body roll.

Must be the larger rims and thinner rubber making it rough. As long as its still somewhat pillow-like I can live with it even if jersey roads are as bumpy as some of my friends faces...

and I have to agree with the others, OliverK always has a offensive reaction to people..

w4sim 08-17-2011 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by 02Drunkenup (Post 4796851)
Must be the larger rims and thinner rubber making it rough. As long as its still somewhat pillow-like I can live with it even if jersey roads are as bumpy as some of my friends faces...

and I have to agree with the others, OliverK always has a offensive reaction to people..

It was very much the "magic carpet" ride when i drove it, and this guy had 19" rims on his.

To be perfectly honest, regardless of which suspension its got out in the real world i dont think your going to notice a very big difference between an S55 and an S430 in the way of ride quality. Ok the S55 might be an all out AMG monster but at the end of the day its still part of the S-Class family, so it does reatin its luxurious ride quality.

Best way for you to find out and satisfy yourself 100% would be to drive one. :y

02Drunkenup 08-17-2011 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by w4sim (Post 4796884)
It was very much the "magic carpet" ride when i drove it, and this guy had 19" rims on his.

To be perfectly honest, regardless of which suspension its got out in the real world i dont think your going to notice a very big difference between an S55 and an S430 in the way of ride quality. Ok the S55 might be an all out AMG monster but at the end of the day its still part of the S-Class family, so it does reatin its luxurious ride quality.

Best way for you to find out and satisfy yourself 100% would be to drive one. :y

I'm still sorting out my shortlist, between a few benzes and some other cars I'm still looking for opinions but the S55 is among some of my greatest considerations. But thanks, I think I've found the info I'm looking for.

Quadcammer 08-17-2011 02:26 PM

Mike

Absolutely not. That is a grand touring automobile with a MASSIVE amount of power. Bugatti will agree with my definition. Think lotus elise.

Originally Posted by w4sim (Post 4796723)
I think you'll find he has a tendency NOT to agree with people :D

Why would I agree with people when they make inaccurate statements, such as yourself.

Originally Posted by DRTYLNDY (Post 4796746)
Well sorry I stated MY OPINION there Oliverk. Since you seem like a person who is always right well then I guess you are right. I don't care for you or the way you treat other people here. You seem to always take things personally and then you insult people. No need to respond to me since I could care less really. Once again it was just my opinion smarty pants.
Johan

Maybe if you had clarified that this was your opinion instead of making it seem as fact.

Originally Posted by 02Drunkenup (Post 4796851)

Don't you want accurate information? Do you want to go in expecting a sports car, and end up with a heavy car that rides hard but doesn't really handle well?

I get offended when people make exaggerated statements and spread inaccurate information.

02Drunkenup 08-17-2011 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Oliverk (Post 4796937)

Don't you want accurate information? Do you want to go in expecting a sports car, and end up with a heavy car that rides hard but doesn't really handle well?

I get offended when people make exaggerated statements and spread inaccurate information.

I think I have a rough idea of what the car handles like and I don't think he, or anyone expected him to be taken seriously when he referred to the S55 being a sports car.

Yeah I want accurate info, but I don't someone who acts rudely towards people when they are incorrect. You could have at least corrected w4sim about his first post. Why do you get offended by this? Its not your job (or is it), it doesn't have to be any of your business, but if you decide to make it your business, at least act with a bit of courtesy.

Quadcammer 08-17-2011 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by 02Drunkenup (Post 4796964)
I think I have a rough idea of what the car handles like and I don't think he, or anyone expected him to be taken seriously when he referred to the S55 being a sports car.

Yeah I want accurate info, but I don't someone who acts rudely towards people when they are incorrect. You could have at least corrected w4sim about his first post. Why do you get offended by this? Its not your job (or is it), it doesn't have to be any of your business, but if you decide to make it your business, at least act with a bit of courtesy.

He made the sports car comment twice. Why say it if you yourself don't even believe it? Exaggeration is difficult to determine online, especially for noobs.

I was annoyed by W4sim because I provided him with correct information twice, and on both occasions, he rebuffed these statements. Now, I don't expect him to take my word for it, but a little research is all it takes to confirm the factual evidence provided.

220S 08-17-2011 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Oliverk (Post 4796496)

This is where one really notices the biggest drawback to any Mercedes AMG sedan chassis. Take one out on some real twisties and it's clearly apparent.

Mike

The Veyron is known for poor handling (relatively speaking of course.) It's a powerful GT car and not a sports car by any means.

Ron Dennis, Executive Chairman of McLaren Automotive and generally credited with Lewis Hamilton's racing success, said the Veyron cannot handle very well. "I know that they have to cut the car open to take the engine out," he stated. "To make an engine in that configuration, you know, it doesn't go around corners."

02Drunkenup 08-17-2011 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Oliverk (Post 4797112)
He made the sports car comment twice. Why say it if you yourself don't even believe it? Exaggeration is difficult to determine online, especially for noobs.

I was annoyed by W4sim because I provided him with correct information twice, and on both occasions, he rebuffed these statements. Now, I don't expect him to take my word for it, but a little research is all it takes to confirm the factual evidence provided.

I'm sorry if I'm missing it but I can't seem to find more than one reference to the S55 having sports car capabilities. I see mrbenzes comparing how ABC sport to normal mode, then DRTYLNDY says that the car turns into a sports car from a luxury beer burner.

but w/e, i sorta got the answer I wanted and thats all that matters.

mrbenzes 08-18-2011 12:58 PM

I consider every car that AMG touches to be a sports car, of course it is my opinion and I dont see anyone changing that. I can live with it. I can have my insurance man agree with that on practically any MB vehicle...they are all classified as "sports" cars so they can get that igher premium, right?
Mike :nix:

Quadcammer 08-18-2011 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by mrbenzes (Post 4798281)
I consider every car that AMG touches to be a sports car, of course it is my opinion and I dont see anyone changing that. I can live with it. I can have my insurance man agree with that on practically any MB vehicle...they are all classified as "sports" cars so they can get that igher premium, right?
Mike :nix:

interesting. So you consider the R63 minivan and G55 suv to be sports cars?

Slapping a high powered engine into a plain sedan does not a sports car make. i'd say you'd have a better chance of considering it a muscle car.

As to insurance, their terminology is useless as their rates go by repair prices, and likelihood of accident/theft.

mrbenzes 08-18-2011 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Oliverk (Post 4798426)
interesting. So you consider the R63 minivan and G55 suv to be sports cars?

Slapping a high powered engine into a plain sedan does not a sports car make. i'd say you'd have a better chance of considering it a muscle car.

As to insurance, their terminology is useless as their rates go by repair prices, and likelihood of accident/theft.

I sure do, as in everything they are all relative and driving an R63 would feel like a sports car in relation to your everyday SUV. I'll stick to my opinion and include the G55 in there as a sports car.
Mike:D