S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Buying 2003 S55 need help from owners

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e55
Thumbs up Buying 2003 S55 need help from owners

I am looking to buy 2003 S55 from a dealer with 90k Miles on it, before i buy it thought you guys can give me couple of suggestions what to look out for...

I am still stinking to bring the car to Mercedes dealership before i buy it, to check if there any issues

But if you know what i should look out for, with this miles on this car let me know, much appreciated!
Overall it looks good, drives excellent, but you never know what will happen in next 30 for example, don't want to end up investing into repairs once i buy it
thanks!
Old 10-02-2011, 07:27 AM

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by KEEP IT REAL
I am looking to buy 2003 S55 from a dealer with 90k Miles on it, before i buy it thought you guys can give me couple of suggestions what to look out for...

I am still stinking to bring the car to Mercedes dealership before i buy it, to check if there any issues

But if you know what i should look out for, with this miles on this car let me know, much appreciated!
Overall it looks good, drives excellent, but you never know what will happen in next 30 for example, don't want to end up investing into repairs once i buy it
thanks!
With the odometer at 90k I would ask to see the invoice for the new ABC pump and install. If not that pump will die any day now. I have noticed they last about 80K on average. Good luck!
Old 10-02-2011, 08:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S55 AMG
Not to derail your thread, butI am selling my 03 S55 with almost 82K miles on her. https://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-...asp-parts.html

I just had it brought in and serviced. Spent about $1200 for up-to-date fluids and services. Don't know if its what you are looking for......just a thought.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:30 PM

e55
Thanks DRTYLNDY will check on that, i did heard before that this model has problem with ABS

Triman2008 i am sure your car is in great shape but your price is very high i can get lower miles cheaper... btw did you had any problems with ABS or any other major one?
Old 10-03-2011, 12:42 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
S55K AMG
Originally Posted by KEEP IT REAL
thanks!
Thats abit like asking to tell you the future . . . . no one can really tell whats going to happen to a car within the next 30 miles of its life. If your unlucky one of the windows might stop working, if your really unlucky your gearbox might just let go. I wouldnt worry too much about that on an S-Class to be honest.

Talking from experience of trying to buy an S55 and all the knowledge iv picked up the real big turn off for me is the dreaded suspension on these. Not even so much at the fact that it will let go at some point or another, but just the ridiculous amount it costs to get it back right again. Thats my biggest worry and the only real thing thats holding me back from getting one. The engine and gearbox are pretty solid as is the rest of the body.

If the suspension seems ok (definitely get a garage to check it before hand) then all else is just a bit of hit and miss with these, nothing that you wouldnt get from another car.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:05 AM

2004 SL500, 2003 S55, 2002 S430 RIP, 1999 ML430, 1999 SLK Sports 230 Compressor "Sold"
Like every one stated if you can have a dealership or Independent check it out, getting the service history would be good.
Observe the whole car from top to bottom. From the body, look at the brakes and rotor condition through the wheel. Look under the chassis, wheel wells/struts for any oil/grease, look under the hood at the general condition. I would advice you to check the abc fluid if you can, belts, and see how well it has been maintained.
Test drive it and feel the tranny response or lack thereof. And everything else.
I know and see many S55's past 100K and not having issues. Just arm yourself with savings and know where to buy parts.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:55 AM

e55
thanks guys, will keep in mind all your advises!