S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

S63 vs S65 Performance Difference

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 09:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2007 S 65
Originally Posted by rennvader
If an s65 is in your budget - go this route and you will not be dissappointed. At idle it is so smooth you hardly notice it is on. Driving around town it is quiet and I am only aware of the turbos and the 'sewing machine' sound that these engines produce. When you get on it, there is just a slightly muted sound of the v12 that crescendos with RPM; satisfying without being too intrusive. Truly a Jeckyl & Hyde car. One more thing I would mention is that AMG tunes and engineers the drivetrain, suspension, steering and seating not only for performance but for specific feedback and driving dynamics that set an AMG product apart from a non-AMG product. There is plenty of engineering and unique parts and software to differntiate the AMG from a standard MB and aftermarket upgrades can't deliver the full package (although most are probably satisfied with TCU/ECU upgrades).
Rennvader,

You said it well. The AMG makes it a very different car from the standard Mercedes.

Tony
Old 02-10-2012, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
SL 63 W/B AMG , S600,C220
Originally Posted by tonykharper
I recently had the opportunity to drive an 2007 S 65 and a 2008 S63 back to back. ( I bought the 2007 S 65)

My impressions were the S65 is quicker and smoother. You will notice the difference. The other differences are just as pronounced, the S 65 is better in almost every way. The leather thur out is better quality, the steering wheel is better, has a better feel, even the paddle shifters are different. The back up camera is different. The list goes on and on. There are many reasons the price of a new S 65 is 60K plus more than an S 63.

All that said, the S63 is a great car and provides the AMG feel as compared to the S550. The S550 is also a great car but in a completely different way. It is smooth, and it has that heavy car feel.

If you can find a 2007 S 65 in like new condition I would jump on it. If you buy an S 63 will will always know you didn't get all you could for your money since you will be spending about the same.

One thing you said bothers me. " I refuse to pay for repairs on either car. I just want to drive it worry free and enjoy it!"

These AMG cars are high performance cars, and they will require maintenance, They are not worry free, and your warranty will not cover the tires, brakes and other things you are going to consume. They really aren't your best daily driver.

One thing for sure you can't drive one of these cars and not enjoy it. If you can get one with the Distronic Plus.

Tony
They really aren't your best daily drive. That my friend is EXACTLY
what they are for.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by sound 8
If you want to live in the dark ages then pick the 65, however the 63 is more
cutting edge, and cheaper, if you want you can always have bits fitted.
After you get used to the 63 gearbox ( a work of art ) you'll never be happy
driving an unresponsive automatic. The 65 is a tad quicker, however it's so
quiet by comparison the 63 sounds faster.
still making dumb comments I see.

The s63 has the 7 speed torque converter automatic. The SL63 has the MCT.

Hence your ignorant statements which seem to suggest the S63 is better than the 65 because of the MCT transmissions are in fact, inaccurate, as usual.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Originally Posted by Oliverk

Hence your ignorant statements which seem to suggest the S63 is better than the 65 because of the MCT transmissions are in fact, inaccurate, as usual.
You are absolutely correct,since this discussion covers the older, non turbo S63.
"Sound 8" heard some bells ringing just didn't know in what church.
Only the new S63TT has MCT.
Btw,he is also wrong on the daily driver issue,AMGs are terriffic daily cars,I have already 18k miles on my car.
Previously put 26k miles in less then 2 years on the SL65 also....

Last edited by absent; 02-12-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Jumping to conclusions again. I read avidly motor weekly mags, and as far as
I am concerned the S63 I read about had a turbo engine and a MCT box.
Naturally this is better than an ancient 65, I was interested because I wondered whether it's exhaust was tamed, but they commented that what exhaust noise it had was still retained. I stopped posting because of people
like you, why don't you think before posting.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by tonykharper
I recently had the opportunity to drive an 2007 S 65 and a 2008 S63 back to back. ( I bought the 2007 S 65)

My impressions were the S65 is quicker and smoother. You will notice the difference. The other differences are just as pronounced, the S 65 is better in almost every way. The leather thur out is better quality, the steering wheel is better, has a better feel, even the paddle shifters are different. The back up camera is different. The list goes on and on. There are many reasons the price of a new S 65 is 60K plus more than an S 63.

All that said, the S63 is a great car and provides the AMG feel as compared to the S550. The S550 is also a great car but in a completely different way. It is smooth, and it has that heavy car feel.

If you can find a 2007 S 65 in like new condition I would jump on it. If you buy an S 63 will will always know you didn't get all you could for your money since you will be spending about the same.

One thing you said bothers me. " I refuse to pay for repairs on either car. I just want to drive it worry free and enjoy it!"

These AMG cars are high performance cars, and they will require maintenance, They are not worry free, and your warranty will not cover the tires, brakes and other things you are going to consume. They really aren't your best daily driver.

One thing for sure you can't drive one of these cars and not enjoy it. If you can get one with the Distronic Plus.

Tony
You are an idiot as well. I didn't say they weren't your best daily drive, this
twit did, I was just repeating his stupid remark, so once again read
before you write, or just don't write at all.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W220 S65 AMG
You are an idiot as well. I didn't say they weren't your best daily drive, this
twit did, I was just repeating his stupid remark, so once again read
before you write, or just don't write at all.
Twin-Turbo V12 AMG's are not good for daily driving.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by dpavid
Now I'm contemplating a 09 S63. will I feel a significant difference between a 09 S63 and 07 S65?
Jumping to conclusions again. I read avidly motor weekly mags, and as far as
I am concerned the S63 I read about had a turbo engine and a MCT box.
Naturally this is better than an ancient 65, I was interested because I wondered whether it's exhaust was tamed, but they commented that what exhaust noise it had was still retained. I stopped posting because of people
like you, why don't you think before posting.
well shucks darn, looks like only one of us can read and its not you.

2009 S63...mentioned at least twice.

the 09 s63 does not have a twin turbo motor or an mct gearbox
Old 02-13-2012, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
opposite-lock...
Originally Posted by Oxygen
(AMG or not) - oh man, I could not disagree more 8-)

I mean, what better vehicle could you hope to find yourself in for so much of daily life?

I truly feel sorry for the folks who have the 3mi commute, or store their cars for winter or only use them 2-5k/yr... what a shame, missing OUT!

I'm honored / blessed to be belting out 18-22k/yr in a biturbo V12 - who doesn't like feeling like a Sultan or Oil Sheik allday everyday day in day out??? 8-)

Think about the percentage of your life spent behind the wheel - and then go and purposely deprive yourself? C'mon now...

OK OK, so not everyone is surrounded by glass smooth 3-4 lane WOT highways ($h!t you not, the section of interstate my exit is off was rated as the fastest average speed in the nation - go figure? haHA!).

I'll take mine as a daily driver, thankyouverymuch...

btw - parts of this tread are *nauseating*... do some you guys read your posts? Geesh, grow up guyz 8-)... whilst there are valid arguments on both sides, THIS is the way you pursue them?

Both sides reek of COMPLEX, you guys can certainly aspire better, yes?
Old 02-14-2012, 08:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Originally Posted by Sgt. Schultz

I mean, what better vehicle could you hope to find yourself in for so much of daily life?

I truly feel sorry for the folks who have the 3mi commute, or store their cars for winter or only use them 2-5k/yr... what a shame, missing OUT!

I'm honored / blessed to be belting out 18-22k/yr in a biturbo V12 - who doesn't like feeling like a Sultan or Oil Sheik allday everyday day in day out??? 8-)

Think about the percentage of your life spent behind the wheel - and then go and purposely deprive yourself? C'mon now...

OK OK, so not everyone is surrounded by glass smooth 3-4 lane WOT highways ($h!t you not, the section of interstate my exit is off was rated as the fastest average speed in the nation - go figure? haHA!).

btw - parts of this tread are *nauseating*... do some you guys read your posts? Geesh, grow up guyz 8-)... whilst there are valid arguments on both sides, THIS is the way you pursue them?

Great post!
Completely in agreement....
Old 02-14-2012, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by absent
Great post!
Completely in agreement....
Please read my posts carefully and you will see that I dissagree with the statement " not a daily drive" as I said that's excatly what they are meant for. In fact most S class in the uk are used for cheufeur work and clock up
many miles. The S is the favorite over BMW,Jaguar and lots of other limo's.
You certainly don't use an S class for weekends as you might with a 2 seater!
As for the 63, quite often you get cars before us, so I was talking about the turbo version, your the one coming to your own conclusions, what's more
he may have decided to buy newer, or when the turbo version came out in the states. Eventually all nat *** cars will have the turbo engine, something
to do with polution.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sorry I forgot to add, you don't buy an S65 and leave it in the garage for
use at weekends, like all S class it's not just powerful it's meant to carry
people and luggage in abject luxury and speed.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Oxygen
Why do you personally come to that decision.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am actually very similar to you, although I don't have passengers apart from
occasionally I use my S600 all the time. It may not be as fast as a 65 AMG
it's plenty fast,very comfortable, great sound system, superb nappa leather
need I go on. I can't see the difference in a daily drive if I had the 65.
So I would like to hear from those who say the AMG 65 is not a daily drive.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
As for the 63, quite often you get cars before us, so I was talking about the turbo version, your the one coming to your own conclusions, what's more
he may have decided to buy newer, or when the turbo version came out in the states. Eventually all nat *** cars will have the turbo engine, something
to do with polution.
my god what the hell are you babbling about now?

1. The UK gets cars before the US, by about one model year. However, the US 2010 S63 is still the 6.2l V8. The turbo 5.5l V8 was a 2011 model in the US.

2. yes, he may have decided in the past two days to up his budget oh $50k to go with a 2 year newer car...but its hardly likely. Furthermore, in his post, which is the only thing you can go by (unless you have ESP), he clearly mentions the 2009...several times.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
I am actually very similar to you, although I don't have passengers apart from
occasionally I use my S600 all the time. It may not be as fast as a 65 AMG
it's plenty fast,very comfortable, great sound system, superb nappa leather
need I go on. I can't see the difference in a daily drive if I had the 65.
So I would like to hear from those who say the AMG 65 is not a daily drive.
This is not complicated.

Most people do not have long highway trips to work each day. In most cases, its 10-15 miles around town, in which the V12s, especially the S65 burn a crapload of fuel and you can't really use the power.

If you have a 60 mile highway trip, enjoy the v12 (if there's no traffic that is)
Old 02-14-2012, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This is not complicated.

Most people do not have long highway trips to work each day. In most cases, its 10-15 miles around town, in which the V12s, especially the S65 burn a crapload of fuel and you can't really use the power.

If you have a 60 mile highway trip, enjoy the v12 (if there's no traffic that is)
If you can't afford....A CRAPLOAD of fuel, you should not buy a V12 5.5 or 6.0
litre car. In England the average drive to work can be 4 or 5 miles, but we still
use our gas guzzlers, a 15 mile trip is a long way. and the S63 in my mind was the turbo version with the MCT gearbox, I was particularly interested as this gearbox had been limited to the amount of torque it could
take, so 2009 or not, this was the car I was referring too. The OP wants info,
all you want to do is find obs cur faults in peoples posts, get a life.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
sound 8 to the rescue, to spoil every thread
Old 02-14-2012, 04:59 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
W221 S65, W140 S600, W210 E430, W126 300SD
No Kidding! If you can't afford a crap load of fuel, you shouldn't be looking at purchasing either of these cars. What a ******. Do you seriously think anyone who buys an S63 or and S65 is even remotely concerned with the gas mileage?
Old 02-14-2012, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by vee12
No Kidding! If you can't afford a crap load of fuel, you shouldn't be looking at purchasing either of these cars. What a ******. Do you seriously think anyone who buys an S63 or and S65 is even remotely concerned with the gas mileage?
yes I do.

Its not like used s65s are all that expensive these days.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JAYCL600
sound 8 to the rescue, to spoil every thread
Ah Ah the vultures are here for the pickings !

Still insulting people.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by vee12
+1 exactly.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG

It's not that serious, Sultan.

I take the train to work... or I stay home and work... when I take the train I drive my Audi to the train station, not leaving a $200,000 limited production car in the parking lot for 12 hours when it can be perfectly warm in my garage, where it spends most of it's life.

Plus the roads in New York are like the surface of the moon... do I really want to do that to my ABC struts and AMG wheels? No.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
opposite-lock...
Sultan seyz it's near criminal to have one of these sit most it's life in a garage, mocking... taunting. I couldn't live where I couldn't drive 8-)

hear you on NYC streets, moon's a good analogy
Old 02-16-2012, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
hear you on NYC streets, moon's a good analogy
Here you go:

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: S63 vs S65 Performance Difference