S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Autoweek Article

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 10:13 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 S55
Autoweek Article

Included a ride in the S55
Attached Thumbnails Autoweek Article-autoweek.jpg  
Old 07-13-2003, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Porcelain Bus
I happened to talk to Ceppos in Daytona just after a cruise around the track with Tommy Kendall behind the wheel of an SL55 going 155. We spoke of the extreme performance of the AMG vehicles and MB's devotion to performance oriented enthusiasts. Our conversation then turned to BMW's direction, or shall I say misdirection under Chris Bangle. He stated that even though his staff writers cannot be harsh in their personal opinions expressed in the articles, off the record they despise the new 5 and 7 series and think that the complexity of I drive and the other electronics flies in the face of BMW's reputaion-"the ultimate driving machine?" The majority of drivers want to simplify their driving experience and enjoy the driving aspect without distraction. A poll of Autoweek readers confirmed this. He thinks that MB/AMG has accomplished its goal with the AMG line and is vary impressed with the cars.
Old 08-07-2003, 07:56 PM

86 300E, 74 Corvette
I disagree with the article. There were some cars in the late 60's which could outdrag race a new S55. They were very rare and very expensive (its not like an S55 is an average car though), and had nothing near the luxury, but that was more than 35 years ago. Engine power was killed by all the regulations starting in the mid-70's. It wasn't until a few years ago that some cars have had comparable power outputs. Auto companies have had to fund massive amounts of research for 30+ years just to get engines back to the power levels they once had. Without regs, that money could have gone elsewhere: suspension, random gadgets, tires, manufacturing improvements, whatever. Not that much research needed to be done to make those high powered engines tame if all the emissions and fuel economy stuff didn't matter.
Old 08-08-2003, 12:48 PM
alz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I respectfully disagree

Mr. Aharte
Old 08-08-2003, 02:38 PM

86 300E, 74 Corvette
That has to be the most reserved reply I've ever seen online

Anyways, I'm curious why you disagree.
Old 08-08-2003, 03:48 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 S55
Originally posted by aharte
I Engine power was killed by all the regulations starting in the mid-70's. It wasn't until a few years ago that some cars have had comparable power outputs. Auto companies have had to fund massive amounts of research for 30+ years just to get engines back to the power levels they once had.
I think that was the point of the article. "Naderese" caused a lot of regulations that emasculated the car industry. Actually Nader would have liked to have seen the automobile disappear. Lucky for us along came the computer revolution which the auto industry was forced to embrace sooner than they might otherwise have done. Without the computer we'd still be driving around in 180 hp max cars. Thus the articles "Unintended Consequences" theory.. Right or wrong it is an interesting point.
Old 08-13-2003, 02:52 PM
alz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe I missed your point -- sure, the auto industry has spent untoward millions to produce today's engines, but the "output" of years past was neither real (the claimed numbers were not at the rear wheel, but gross) and the actual performance of years past from those cars (save a few dozen that were actually produced -- not just models but actual cars like the ZL-1 and L88) was not on par.

Engine power was killed because - until regualtion - the approach was ham-fisted -- bigger bore, larger cam, bigger rear diff. pulling the insulation and carpeting, etc.- It was going nowhere fast.

On the other hand, forcing engineers to think -- and in a different way -- and to actually innovate rather than merely iterate is why we have the high output and performace we have now. If left to the unregulated past, the performance gains would be hardly more than that attained in the laste 60s.

Smokey Yunick - a genius with his hands - was able to squeeze lots out of an engine, but there was little inthe way of innovation and technological forward-thinking. The only glimmer of innovation was fuel injection, but even that was ham-fisted. Did you every try driving one of these beasts in traffic -- I dio it on occasion with my Boss and it's a blast for a little while, but.....

Even my Boss 429 cannot do that without open headers and slicks. My 1967 427/435 Vette couldn't do what the S55 does in terms of 1/4 mile (elapsed time and trap speed), 0-60, top end, handling, fuel economy.