S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

DIY SC Pulley & Acc Pulley replace...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 07:32 PM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
2003 S55 (SOLD) , 2012 S550
DIY SC Pulley & Acc Pulley replace...

A few days ago i was driving home from work when i noticed a screeching sound and then a slight bang....I was close to home and the car drove fine so i didnt stop and went home....looked under the hood and the sc belt was ripped off. On closer inspection i found the sc pulley bearing seized and had partially melted into the pulley (Replaced it 6 month ago with a napa bearing...THANX NAPA!!!). I took the assembly out and tried getting the sleeve out but just managed to break the acc pulley (original pulley now brittle from heat). Oh Boy i thought...car down .
Then i looked at the situation a little closer and decided to use the sc pulley as a acc pulley for the time being. (I know...redneck engineering)

So after testing that and the car running fine (slow though) i went on to order parts....parts.com had the whole assembly for $319...ouch but ok...I NEED IT. Went to checkout and see a $48 shipping charge for ground!!!...
Now im pissed and say to myself "there HAS to be a cheaper way"....so i started researching and what do you know, Gates makes a pulley the same size than the acc pulley...great...how about the sc pulley? (Mine was damaged and the new bearing was loose in it so it wobbled). Well Gates has a steel pulley that i thought would work...so i ordered them from amazon (Acc Pulley - Gates # 38019 , SC Pulley - Gates # 38052).

So today they arrived.
Acc pulley is EXACTLY the same size and built quality than oem!!! NICE
So for you people that just need the Acc pulley..this is the one...Cost = $15.38 !!!!

Here is the pulley

and here compared to a fragment of the original one

So now...how about the sc pulley ?
Here it is compared to the original one

As you can see it is wider than the original
So i sanded one side down to make the widthfit so it would not rub on the acc pulley...

And here it is on the sleeve with the acc pulley

And here it is on the top with the sleeve being almost even (by the way i have one washer in between since the bearing is a little skinnier than the original.

And here is a video of it all running...NO WOBBLE and all is fine.

http://s888.photobucket.com/albums/a...eysRunning.mp4

Sorry for the bad lighting....

Total tally

Acc Pulley $15.38
SC Pulley $17.63

45 minutes to sand down the sc pulley and fit everything together.

Not having to pay MB for these parts...PRICELESS

I hope this was educational for all of you.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 GL550, 2004 Audi S4 v8
Great job Can we see some pics with these 2 pulleys in place? Since I'm not sure which ones you are referring to.

Also, parts.com...is that where you got the parts?
Old 08-19-2012, 07:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S55 AMG
Good DIY, good to know there are monre and more people out here that will wrench on their cars than just send them to a dealer or indy. I am in the process of doing my Alternator/voltage regulator. I ordered the regulator and I'm just pulling the alternator and going to have it tested when it's out.