S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

S600 vs 57

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 07:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes S600TT, LX470 SuperCharged, QX4, BMW 750IL
S600 vs 57

I love my W220 S600 to death. I can't find anything to replace it with. I'm stuck on V12TT's. The new W221's interiors put me off big time for a number of reasons: Such a pain to change radio stations, a/c, etc and also I always felt the level of craftsmanship was a huge step down. I don't find it luxurious at all. In fact I think in every possible way they used much cheaper grade leather, wood, plastic than the W220 (I am quite shocked how mercedes owners didn't revolt). The W221 looks the same as a W220 in and out to me. MB used to have a sense of refinement and class. Plus for me the W221 feels like a boat while driving.

So I have been debating what to get as an additional car. Either another W220 S600 with upgraded S55 brake kit (I prefer it over the S65 and performance is near identical) or a used Maybach 57. The S600 is nicer for one reason, I don't feel bad trashing and abusing her. But a bit boring as I already have one thats perfect for me.

I've driven a 57 many years ago and it felt a bit different than my S600 - similar but different. Do maybach's have ABC Suspension? It almost felt like it but I think it is an air ride. Also, which brake kit do they have? Is it the 16" rotors. I am a pretty aggressive driver and upgraded to 18" (would have gone to 19" if it wouldn't kill ride quality).

I don't mind paying for repairs out of warranty - I am expecting about $20k/yr based on my current S600. I would imagine Maybach would be similar. The repair costs are sickening but I justify it by how much fun they are to drive.

I don't believe the body panels on the maybach are any different in quality when compared to the S600. Since I like cruising at 100mph every night for an hour my car has a number of small paint chips that I periodically airbrush. I buy my cars to drive and enjoy them, I don't really care what other people think and over here maybachs aren't that rare. I guess I am after the ultimate mercedes. I think having the extra pampered seats and nicer refinements would be worth extra cash to me.

If anyone can point out something I overlooked please do. I am an aggressive driver who never goes speed limit. The S600 is my favorite car but I am trying to determine if I might be happier in the bach as an alternate car. I do like owning exclusive things.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 S55, 2002 E430, 2007 CLK350, 1981 380SL
I have never even seen a Maybach on the road in Tennessee but would guess that they share the driveline of a 600 with upgraded materials and a bit of unique styling...I would say repairs may be 20% more than the "Standard" Mercedes but not alot more unless you go to the 62 model. That glass roof is probably VERY expensive to repair if damaged...I would Go with the Maybach just for exclusivity if money were no option.
My two cents.
Mike
Old 03-26-2013, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 ML400 Sportline
Maybach vs S600

Old thread, I know but can't help chiming in

There are a couple Maybachs in the Boston area, but here too, they're as rare as chicken's teeth. The last time I drove one was in 2010, just as the face lifted cars came out.

Short history of Maybach, rev 2: the 57 is available in 2 variants and there are three sub-series. The "standard" car is the 57, with a 550 hp 5.5L tt V12, while the S has the 6.0L, rated at 604 hp. The 57S and 57 are a little like an S65 vs an S600 - the same car with a few different bits added. The Maybach (W240) is based on the W140 but has the electronics from the W220. Therefore, it feels very much what it is: an updated W140.

I don't care for the W221 either, mostly in how it feels, and the shapes inside. It's almost stand-offish, distant, un-involved, whereas the W220 feels closer (mostly because the b-pillar is closer to my head and the dash/console closer to my legs) but overall, the W221 feels BIG.

The Maybach, like the W140 before it, is similar in feeling. But, it's quieter. Think Lexus quiet, funeral-home-quiet, tomb-quiet. Moving feels like the hand of God is pushing you about and everything is effortless. Maybach 57S has ABC and the 57 has airmatic, I believe. Despite the suspension, the Maybach feels ponderous, like the W140: you have to plan maneuvers ahead a bit. With a W220, I can easily keep up with any W211, C215 or R230 and even toss mine about a bit.

Every feature and color is available on either model and all are officially quoted as "bespoke," even though dealers commonly did acquire these with a standard fitment of features in common colors.

I personally cannot ever justify a Maybach at current prices ($90-200k, for 2004-2011 models) versus a W220 or even a W221. Everything about them is unique and although there are some shared parts (dash, motor, transmission, some controllers) most of it is unique. That means, especially because it's a dead marque (again!), it's all very costly to own, change and maintain.

Originally Posted by mrbenzes
I have never even seen a Maybach on the road in Tennessee but would guess that they share the driveline of a 600 with upgraded materials and a bit of unique styling...I would say repairs may be 20% more than the "Standard" Mercedes but not alot more unless you go to the 62 model. That glass roof is probably VERY expensive to repair if damaged...I would Go with the Maybach just for exclusivity if money were no option.
My two cents.
Mike
Old 03-26-2013, 05:33 PM

No Maybach ever had ABC. Even the S models have Airmatic.
The following users liked this post:
LandSeaAir (03-08-2020)
Old 03-26-2013, 08:30 PM

Mercedes S600TT, LX470 SuperCharged, QX4, BMW 750IL
After further research I decided against it. The alternator runs $20,000 and each strut is $10,000 just for parts no labor.

To be honest I am really let down with new mercedes and bmws they have taken the word luxury out of luxury sedan. I thought the Maybach might still have some of it but it just comes off as more glamour rather than substance. I used to consider Mercedes/BMW to be ahead of Lexus LS460L but now I have more respect for the lex. Hyundai has made a korean copy of the LS460L that I am considering as a fourth car:
https://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicles/...formance.aspx?
Might be just as nice as they bach without the annoying maintenance issues.

Never thought I'd be leaving Benz for a Hyundai.

Last edited by Reckless; 03-26-2013 at 08:37 PM.