S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

About to buy a S55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Moped
About to buy a S55

I always been on the market for a S55 or a CLK55.

I came across a 2002 S55 which I'm really interested in. Correct me if im wrong this was the last year the stock n/a motor was built. After that the kompressor was installed.

I just want to know what issues I should look for or what issues are to come.

The car has about 140k miles on it.

Thanks all.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2007 SL55 AMG
the engines and trannies are bulletproof. Just beware of ABC issues!
Old 03-10-2013, 09:24 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
S55K AMG
As above, ABC seems to be the biggest worry. So far in 1.5 years of ownership iv not had an ABC problem but from what i hear, you never know when its going to let go!!!

Here in the UK the changeover date was September 2002 when they went from N/A to having a Kompressor installed.

You say the one your looking at is a 2002 model, but is it a N/A or a Kompressor?

For that extra bit of money it has to be the Kompressor model for me EVERYTIME, but each to their own i guess.

There is quite a bit of a difference from a CLK55 to a S55, so it depends on what your looking for aswell. Personally i think the S55 is almost as sporty as the CLK but with far far more options and luxuries.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Moped
I prefer a CLK55 just cause i already have a saloon. But in the other hand I won't be driving the CLK as much because I have kids to chauffeur to school. So S55 wins by seating and the nagging woman saying get the practical one and I can drive it too... (I'm already seeing curb rashes on the wheels)

Also the car I'm looking to buy is N/A. I prefer this one just cause its one less maintenance or component I have to worry about.

Also, the S55 is already a beast without the kompressor. But I totally agree with you. The additional money for a kompressor loaded s55 is really worth it. But I already see this mama's soccer car/grocery getter..

So all i need to worry about is the abc???

I just read the ad on the car again and it said the ABC was just fully serviced. Replaced pump, flushed fluid, replaced filters and new pulsation dampener.

Last edited by skittles; 03-10-2013 at 11:35 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:12 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
S55K AMG
Originally Posted by Patrick LowKey

I just read the ad on the car again and it said the ABC was just fully serviced. Replaced pump, flushed fluid, replaced filters and new pulsation dampener.
To be honest with you if thats all recently been done then either the seller was being cautious or something went wrong and he spent loads of money to get it right. Either way it works out great for you as you wont really have much to worry about for a couple of years. On mine the pump has also been replaced at around 80k, and its been pretty trouble free while coming up to nearly 130k now.

The ABC suspension is not your only thing to worry about, but it is your MAIN culprit, especially with the associated costs.

The rest of the stuff is mainly little electrical niggles, which is nothing too major is most cases. The biggest problem of these seems to be the Dash cluster going a bit haywire but i think thats a pretty cheap fix nowadays from what i can gather.

But as with any car, you can do all your checks on the day, but theres no guarantee that something wont go wrong the day you bring it home. Its the joy of buying a used car i guess, but with the build quality on one of these the chance of something going wrong is far less than with your average grocery getter.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 S 55 AMG
Before you buy this car make sure you find a mechanic who knows to work on AMG cars....I'm in new York and I can't find someone who knows to work on it .The just playing with the cars that's why some times I have to go to the dealer and pay top dollar