S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Engine cleaning ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 01:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 S 55 AMG
Engine cleaning ?

Any ideas how you clean the engine without spraying water and **** up the electric's ?
Old 05-05-2013, 03:12 PM

1988 535i 5 speed
Steam cleaning is a possible option, so long as you're just careful to avoid spraying electronics directly. Also, I found some good info in this post, as I've actually been trying to figure out a good way to clean mine too. Right here:

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...ur-engine-bay/
Old 05-06-2013, 01:14 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
'96 SL600, '05 S55 AMG, '06 C230
Although most will gasp, I use a power washer every 6 months on my 3 cars. The trick with using water is to keep the spray pressure fairly low. But remember, a modern engine compartment is designed to handle water. Try looking under the hood after driving in a heavy rain storm... or slushy snow.

I use a small gas-powered spray washer, turn down the delivery water pressure, and use the weakest nozzle available. I spray the entire engine, though avoid directly spraying electrical connectors, etc. but a little water on them shouldn't cause a problem. Just don't spray the connectors directly, where water could be forced inside the connector. Virtually all under-the-hood connectors have weather-resistant gaskets.

Once done, I start the engine to help it dry out. My only reservation is seeking out all the depressions where water settles. For example, the top of the supercharger has this honeycomb effect, which just collects water. So while the washing is easy, the 'wipe down' is time consuming.

Seriously, no problems. I have always found it a quirk of modern MB's that they are surprisingly water/weather-resistant, but simply try to jump start one and the car's electronics seem to go belly-up!

Cheers,
Jeff
Old 05-07-2013, 09:21 PM

2004 S 55 AMG
thank you guys